Author Topic: Best 15mm track nut spanner to carry?  (Read 11790 times)

alan

Re: Best 15mm track nut spanner to carry?
« Reply #25 on: 12 June, 2008, 06:57:39 pm »
I have a 15mm combination spanner held to the seat tube with a Zefal doo-daa.The spanner never gets left behind.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #26 on: 13 June, 2008, 04:13:36 pm »
At £1.99 the Halfords Metric Dumbell Bike Spanner is hard to beat. Not as cool as Jethro Tule, but does the job and will fit neatly into a saddlebag.

Yeah, but it will probably break. And what's worse - it will have "Halfords" written on it!!

Doesn't say Halfords on it. Hasn't broken yet - new in January.

I already have two of these and there is no way they can provide sufficient leverage to tighten up track nuts properly. They are a useful tool for other items though, but I like my wheel to stay attached  ;)
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #27 on: 13 June, 2008, 04:22:55 pm »
I had a dog-bone spanner very similar to the Halfords one, it was probably 40 years old, since my father used it when he was a keen cyclist in his youth.  You can provide a surprising amount of leverage with them, if you use your palm to push on the end, I used it to tighten and loosen track nuts, and similar, and never had one come loose.  Of course, it's possible that the Halfords one is made of cheese and would bend under this load, but I haven't seen the specific spanner.

I'd still be using mine, but I had to do some work on a colleagues bike, after a shop had managed to bugger some things up on it.  The nuts were on so stupidly tightly that I broke the spanner trying to get them off.  Luckily I had a big adjustable in my bag as well, but if I hadn't taken those wheels off and she had had a fairy visitation, she would never have been able to get the wheel off, I only just managed to do it.
Actually, it is rocket science.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #28 on: 13 June, 2008, 04:27:49 pm »
I love the Campag Peanut butter wrench - looks superb and about the right length. I think I'm going to go for a standard combination spanner though. I could do with a full set of metric ones anyway, I'm also going to find a way to fit it under the saddle.

Thanks for all the great ideas - appreciated. And if I see the campag spanner around cheap anywhere I will be very tempted to buy one because they look so nice.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #29 on: 13 June, 2008, 04:31:27 pm »
Top tip. Use the same spanner to tighten your wheel in the workshop. You do not want to find that a wheel tightened with a big shop spanner is immovable with a small on the road spanner.

An acquaintance had a puncture, and heaved and heaved at the tracknuts while going purple in the face, until she lost her temper and flung the spanner at me. I undid them and left her to the calming task of puncture repair.

Hoopdriver

« Reply #30 on: 13 June, 2008, 09:56:49 pm »
...and everyone seems to do it at £17-50, except Brixton Cycles who only charge £17-00.

Of course, whilst Wiggle charge £17-50 like everyone else, I get 10% off since I'm a platinum customer, which makes it £15-75, so they win!

I can't find them on the Wiggle site, can you post a link please?

Thanks

H.

« Reply #31 on: 14 June, 2008, 03:35:54 pm »
It looks like it was available on there, but isn't any longer, which is a bit irritating.  I was sure I found it, but maybe it's gone very recently. :(
Actually, it is rocket science.