Author Topic: Dear Claire...  (Read 3222 times)

Dear Claire...
« on: 06 April, 2008, 09:37:28 pm »
Of my last six 200s, four have been on fixed.  People are beginning to comment if they see me on gears.  It was obvious from the weather forecast for yesterday that much of the Marlborough Connection perm would involve grinding over exposed ground into a brisk headwind.  But the bike that whispered "Psst" in the garage on Friday night was the fixie.  And when I ride the geared bike I keep on feeling that the transmission is broken.

Am I a hopeless case, doomed forever more to grunt and swear my way up hills with a cadence in single figures?

Concerned of Caversham

Re: Dear Claire...
« Reply #1 on: 06 April, 2008, 09:39:48 pm »

Am I a hopeless case

Dear Steve,

[Sorry, wrong person]

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:29:54 am »
Get back in your technical area on your recumbent!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 07 April, 2008, 11:44:20 am »
Dear Concerned of Caversham

I need you take some deep breaths.  Can you do that for me sweetie?  Now go and sit down somewhere comfortable because I'm afraid I have some bad news for you.

Look, my lovely - I've spoken with the consultant and we're both in agreement.  There's nothing we can do for you my darling.  Perhaps if we'd have got to you earlier, you'd have been a good candidate for counseling or perhaps even some CBT.*

As it is, I think the best that you can hope for is that you occasionally use a single freewheel and maybe, eventually you'll get back on a proper bike for a few short trips into town to pick up your medication.

But chin up there, my darling.  The sun's out and the birds are singing.  Just because you're condemned to a life of wrenching your sorry way up hills with your knees straining and your thighs about to explode, doesn't mean you're any less stupid than all the silly buggers lining up to do yet another SR series.

They pity you, yes.  But not in a nasty way.  There but for the grace of God and all that.  You still have value, my sweetheart.  You're still worth something.  Never forget that.

Stay safe, sweetie. And don't stop pedaling, will you?

Auntie Claire
xx

*That's Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, sweeie  ::-)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 07 April, 2008, 12:13:46 pm »
Don't forget that Concerned of Caversham is already an Ultra Randonneur.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2008, 08:46:42 pm »
Don't forget that Concerned of Caversham is already an Ultra Randonneur.

Then he's as screwed as the rest of us then.
See you on a 600* sometime Pete.
I'll keep my eye out for a gimmacing man (from grinning, to grimmacing madly?) with a 19t sprocket.
At least you never had the stupid idea of a 600(or more) a month. It gets even harder to say no, so I just keep digging.

*Bryan Chapman?

« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2008, 10:17:03 pm »
*Bryan Chapman?

I'll probably bring gears for that...  I'm currently in negotiation with The Management regarding the 26 Apr Norrrrfolk 600.  Fixed definitely a possibility for that...