Author Topic: What was your first ever bike?  (Read 5488 times)

Re: What was your first ever bike?
« Reply #25 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:16:45 pm »
Hmm I learned to ride on something small that had been passed round the family for a couple of generations. No idea what it was.
The first bike I can remember being specifically mine was a red Raleigh Tomahawk which was a smaller version of the Chopper. I loved that bike.

Same here Raleigh Tomahawk. Was too big for me so was on Stabilisers and blocks of wood screwed to pedals

Wish I hasn't flogged it for a fiver which was a phenomenal amount of money to a kid back then from a skint council house

« Reply #26 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:43:38 pm »
Blue Tri-ang bike, a bit like a shopper.  I can't remember much more than that!

First bike I bought for myself - Trek 750 (or 850?) mountain bike. I put the dog into the car and drove out to a holidy park in the Trossachs which had a shop selling mountain bikes. They gave me a few quid off as I got it in the box unassembled.
Great bike - which finally got nicked when I moved to London.

« Reply #27 on: 12 October, 2022, 07:48:33 pm »
A Raleigh RSW14 in red around 1970. My older mate had an RSW16 with 3 speeds and dynamo lights, so whilst I was pleased to get a new bike, I was very envious of his.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #28 on: 13 October, 2022, 08:22:21 am »
When I am out on the Gentleman's up wrong  trike . About fifty percent of conversions with new acquaintance's . Start with "oh my first bike was a little tri-ang  or blue/ red tricycle ". Mine was  , never grown up . 
Its More Fun With Three .

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #29 on: 13 October, 2022, 09:02:00 am »
All bikes were black when I started (late '50s). Bikes for small people were just shrunken adult ones. I suspect my first one was a BSA. As was my first motorbike.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #30 on: 13 October, 2022, 11:05:13 am »
Haven’t got the foggiest. It was blue with (formerly) white tyres. Probably bought from Wilford’s for a few bob. Passed down to me after three older brothers had each added their own designs to it.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #31 on: 13 October, 2022, 04:18:45 pm »
I have been told that mine was a Jackson, but it had had at least one paint job since the factory and anyway whoever said it added "Raleigh", which is probably horse feathers since the fork was wrong. Anyway it had a a 3-speed Sturmey hub and a Sturmey Dynohub up front driving a bobby-dodger lamp (also repainted) at approx 0.25 candlepower.  I got it second-hand for £5 when I was 15.  Used it for school & jaunts down the Ards Peninsula.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #32 on: 13 October, 2022, 04:33:14 pm »
My first bike was a Raleigh in a fetching red and gold. It also had a bent toptube, I assume to accommodate smalls, one of which I was at the time. I had it taken off me for a while, after I’d been caught riding on the main road through the village.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 13 October, 2022, 06:57:46 pm »
There was a brief period in which top tubes with an upward bend were fashionable. What was that about? It didn’t seem to last long.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.