Author Topic: Garmin Etrex 30x problems  (Read 1461 times)

Garmin Etrex 30x problems
« on: 14 April, 2019, 11:54:08 am »
Yesterday I was riding an Audax and had a track (but not a route) loaded into the Garmin. At the start I cleared track and trip data as usual. Towards the end of the ride with the 280km the trip odometer showing 280km (which was correct) the batteries needed changing. Stopped and changed the batteries, turned it back on and the trip had jumped up by 52km to 342km.

This is not the first time this has happened, anyone any ideas?     
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Garmin Etrex 30x problems
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2019, 01:02:19 pm »
I have had very occasional similar distance jumps on system restarts due to initially aberrant position fixes in the past, but usually they are small! Once however, on a start from cold, the initial fix put me in the Bristol Channel before correcting to South Yorkshire....
The simple solution is to download the recorded tracks and edit out the aberrant point at the beginning of the new second track after the restart.

« Reply #2 on: 17 April, 2019, 10:17:12 am »
A longer term fix is get some longer lasting batteries. I have completed 400km rides with plenty of battery life to spare. Rechargeable batteries with 2500mA rating last ages. Got some from Maplin. There are other threads here discussing best batteries

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LFCC

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 18 April, 2019, 05:59:39 pm »
Indeed, I recently replaced my AA rechargables as they had reached end of life.  The new ones are 2800mA which is good enough for 400km if not 600km of riding.

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2022, 10:21:22 pm »
This thread is probably as good a place as any... I have recently ditched a buggy Wahoo Bolt for a Garmin Etrex 20x and am enjoying it immensely, it's brilliant. One thing - I have set the *leaving* proximity alert to off, yet it still fires. I can't see anything about this happening elsewhere, does anyone have a cure?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #5 on: 04 August, 2022, 08:09:11 am »
Indeed, I recently replaced my AA rechargables as they had reached end of life.  The new ones are 2800mA which is good enough for 400km if not 600km of riding.
Eveready lithium for me. Last over 40h in 30x. They are quite expensive, but there is no faffing with rechargables.

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.