Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2181553 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #18950 on: 04 May, 2024, 11:40:42 am »
Wrangled a new two-bungies-cunningly-conjoined gadget to hold the YakSak on my BoB trailer, the old one having succumbed to UV rot.  Happily the Airo Brush attachment for the Henry is too big to fit in a pannier coz I'd have been miffed to have hauled the trailer to Argos and then found it wasn’t needed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #18951 on: 04 May, 2024, 12:56:09 pm »
A few months ago, Robgul, OTP, fettled a stretcher bed for me and it's sat since awaiting finishing touches. Today, I put Gorilla tape on the edges and put a foam layer on top, made from two camping mats. I used spray contact adhesive and I'm not sure it'll hold it well enough. The next camping trip will be the judge of that...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18952 on: 04 May, 2024, 01:15:58 pm »
20240504_131019 by rogerzilla, on Flickr
Made a tremolo block for the Strat.  It'll need screws driving into it if anyone ever wants to take it out again - it's pretty tight.  I used basswood (lime) because that's what the body is.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18953 on: 04 May, 2024, 05:57:56 pm »
The stair stringers, part elebenty. Sanded down the 2 coats of filler I'd applied previously. What a mess.
Then (after hoovering) I applied a teeny bit more filler on the missing bits. Can nearly see the bottom of the 1L tub of filler - that's never happened before.

Question - has anyone found a quiet vacuum solution suitable for running inside a home for a prolonged period of time while sanding? My Google-fu has failed to find anything affordable.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #18954 on: 04 May, 2024, 09:29:10 pm »
Failed fettle on the washing machine door . . .  the lever bit/linkage had snapped

. . . after serious research and quite a bit of YouTube it was decided that a repair wasn't possible, and even if it was the cost would be prohibitive/not value/viable for a 9 year old machine. 

The recommendation (from a company that sells spare parts) was to take the top off the machine and smash the lock mechanism - did that but still unable to open the door.   Resorted to a brick bolster and club hammer twixt door and cabinet and hey presto we could get the clothes out.

Further research and Mr Lewis will be drawing up outside in his van on Weds with a new machine.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #18955 on: Yesterday at 10:09:11 am »
The stair stringers, part elebenty. Sanded down the 2 coats of filler I'd applied previously. What a mess.
Then (after hoovering) I applied a teeny bit more filler on the missing bits. Can nearly see the bottom of the 1L tub of filler - that's never happened before.

Question - has anyone found a quiet vacuum solution suitable for running inside a home for a prolonged period of time while sanding? My Google-fu has failed to find anything affordable.

For my workshop I have a 45€ Titan vacuum cleaner which is bloody noisy, so I keep it on the far side of a wall and run the flex plus N metres of hose in through the wall. It has a rocker switch which is permanently on and it plugs into a remote switch in the workshop so that I have suction on demand and the neighbours get the racket.  ;D

Vacuum-cleaner extension hose is cheap and so are connectors. You still need to connect to your sander but you can get stepped reducers that should work, possibly with the addition of a few layers of masking tape.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18956 on: Yesterday at 03:04:16 pm »
Finished fixing a friend’s track pump.

Replaced a pair of brake pads on HK’s orange trike and tweaked the front derailleur. I think I will need to replace it soon.

Flint-mined two trikes.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #18957 on: Yesterday at 03:15:27 pm »
Put a smear of grease on the movement of one of my D locks. It's only needed it for about four years. And yes, it's the one I use every day. Much smoother now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #18958 on: Yesterday at 04:15:54 pm »
Fitted a new gear cable to the right-side Chorus ergo lever on my Dolan Dual bike.

« Reply #18959 on: Yesterday at 04:32:37 pm »
Got a new DT Swiss wheelset with 240 hubs fir less than the price of the hubs. Shod them up with the indestructible Hutchinson Allseasons Fusion 5 TL. Went on with a track pump. Didn't ride. Stayed up 36 hours.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #18960 on: Yesterday at 05:47:44 pm »
Put a set of .009 strings on the Squier Strat and adjusted absolutely everything using feeler gauges and such stuff.  It plays almost as well as the SG now, but can make a somewhat wider range of sounds.  It was a Vintage Modified Surf Strat but a previous owner put MIM Fender controls and aftermarket Alnico pickups in it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #18961 on: Yesterday at 07:23:38 pm »
Managed to clean IKEA whiteboard marker off the TV screen (wet wipe) and the coffee table (spray furniture polish). Failed to clean IKEA whiteboard marker off the wooden TV/audio cupboard thing (as above plus methylated spirit). I'll try white spirit tomorrow.

In other news, the Gorgeous Grandchildren have now gone home.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #18962 on: Yesterday at 10:37:12 pm »

For my workshop I have a 45€ Titan vacuum cleaner which is bloody noisy, so I keep it on the far side of a wall and run the flex plus N metres of hose in through the wall. It has a rocker switch which is permanently on and it plugs into a remote switch in the workshop so that I have suction on demand and the neighbours get the racket.  ;D

Vacuum-cleaner extension hose is cheap and so are connectors. You still need to connect to your sander but you can get stepped reducers that should work, possibly with the addition of a few layers of masking tape.

So if I understand correctly, a noisy vacuum far away with a very long hose?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.