Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 143867 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #2100 on: 12 August, 2022, 03:20:21 pm »
The best bit for me is that nobody just comes over to blather some inane drivel at me whilst I am trying to work out.  I am on nodding terms with a number of fellow bathers already but as yet we haven't exchanged a single syllable.

Very refreshing.

« Reply #2101 on: 13 August, 2022, 11:33:37 am »
Managed parkrun this morning. It was hot.
As our original parkrun (Yeovil Montacute) didn't restart after lockdown (too popular, resulting in traffic and parking issues, and potential damage to the listed parkland) this is only the second time I've managed to get to our new one, which only started in March. Quite happy that I was less than a minute slower than my previous run, considering the weather.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #2102 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:37:40 pm »
I keep meaning to get to Parkrun.  I did 6km this morning at a nice steady pace.  I am sure that park run would help my speed.

« Reply #2103 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:51:00 pm »
@chrisbainbridge: I find that I do try harder at parkrun, even if it doesn't necessarily feel like that at the time. Just running with other people helps (me, at least).

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2104 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:48:09 pm »
No running for me this weekend because I’m letting my sore leg rest to see if that makes any difference. It hasn’t so far! The weather has been a help in my enforced rest because it’s just been too damn hot.

I’ve found that I can run on it without any real trouble, but it is jolly stiff when I finish, and I can’t lift the knee higher than a few centimetres without heavey discomfort. Likewise, walking any distance also causes it to stiffen up. It also stiffens up on and off over my rest day, but stretching it seems to allow me greater freedom of movement.

As the pain is at the top front of my leg, not quite the groun, I can’t really strap it in any meaningful way, so I suspect the part of me that is tempted to ignore it because it hasn’t got any worse over the last 3 or 4 runs is likely to win out.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2105 on: 15 August, 2022, 10:48:05 pm »
5k in 44minutes.

A somewhat surreal experience however. I definitely favoured my good leg (the Garmin thingy confirms it) and my sore leg was sore whenever there was a mild incline. In terms of c/v it was easy, partly because it was a bit slow and even with the sore lit, if I could have guaranteed a flat route, I feel I could have continued.

I’m really not sure what to do about my leg, because running doesn’t seem to make it any worse, and not running doesn’t seem to make it any better. I suppose I’ll have to do some internet searching to try and find an answer (unless anyone here has any sage advice.)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #2106 on: 16 August, 2022, 08:12:47 am »
5k in 44minutes.

A somewhat surreal experience however. I definitely favoured my good leg (the Garmin thingy confirms it) and my sore leg was sore whenever there was a mild incline. In terms of c/v it was easy, partly because it was a bit slow and even with the sore lit, if I could have guaranteed a flat route, I feel I could have continued.

I’m really not sure what to do about my leg, because running doesn’t seem to make it any worse, and not running doesn’t seem to make it any better. I suppose I’ll have to do some internet searching to try and find an answer (unless anyone here has any sage advice.)

I have a shoulder / upper arm which is a bit like that.  It gives me regular gip but when in the gym or the pool it just does the business.  I feel that I should get it looked at but there is so much shit in the NHS at the moment and it's not impeding me as far as I can tell so I just live with it.  I had an elbow behave similarly a few years back.  It eventually just got better.

I am not recommending my poor behaviour, just sympathising with you, ageing bear to ageing bearD.  🤔  😇

felstedrider

« Reply #2107 on: 16 August, 2022, 09:37:12 am »
I keep meaning to get to Parkrun.  I did 6km this morning at a nice steady pace.  I am sure that park run would help my speed.

I find Parkrun joyful.  After years of hanging around with miserable middle aged TTers.   Very inclusive and encouraging with a great atmosphere.   I've been out of it a bit as I developed an annoying injury in January and then it has been an audax* heavy year.

I'm a bit off where I was but I have a 10k tomorrow night and then a couple more going into the Autumn.

* I have been trying to work out if I can fit a Parkrun in part way round an audax, just for kicks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2108 on: 16 August, 2022, 10:54:02 am »
Somebody once did a marathon halfway through a 1200.

Correction: a 600
https://www.roadbikerider.com/the-incredible-cycling-life-of-ken-bonner-d1/
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2109 on: 20 August, 2022, 12:56:07 pm »
parkrun again. We had a 'pacer' session today with one of the local running clubs providing pacers with targets from 20 minutes to about 46 minutes.
As my first time for this course was 28'06" I had an obvious target. I started off probably too fast as I was in front of the 26 minute pacer for the first 500m or so. He then breezed past me.
I didn't see the 28 minute chap again until after we'd finished, so thought I must be doing OK. And I was, 27'55" will do.  :)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2110 on: 20 August, 2022, 05:32:09 pm »
I’m still on an involuntary hiatus from running and it’s really doing my head in. Yes, I can run, because the ‘injury’ I’m suffering from doesn’t bother me once I’ve loosened up the muscles. However, after any even mild exercise, it stiffens up and is painful to loosen again. The annoying thing is this even includes standing for any length of time or a short stroll to the coop at the end of the road. So I know it’s damaged I some way.

I’ve been icing the groin muscle, but I’m fairly sure that’s not the only damage becasue as I sit here, my glute is aching some. It all felt fine this morning when I got up, with no stiffness or pain, which is a first this week. But a short walk to the shop and it’s stiffened right up. I wish I knew wha the best treatment was because it the moment I’m just trying to rest but at the same time to keep it moving. My Google foo is struggling to find a solution because I don’t really know what to search for.

Hey Hoo

« Reply #2111 on: 24 August, 2022, 09:37:26 am »
Today was hard.  I did a big weights session yesterday following the biggest commute for 2 months on Monday.  So today I headed out for 8km.  I haven't walked so much in ages! My glutes and quads are aching!

I have a local Burton brewers 10k booked for 9 October so need to get the distance in and some speed hopefully.  Only time I ever did a 10 at Bradley about 15 years ago I got 55minutes so I have never been fast.

felstedrider

« Reply #2112 on: 24 August, 2022, 09:48:33 am »
I did a 10k at the Olympic Park last Wednesday.   My 49min PB is way off but I targeted 55min.   Paced OK and managed to squeeze under 54.   It was 4 * 2.5k laps.

The Runthrough Events around the SE are really well out together and the marshals are great (I think they pay them).   I do think the cycling community could learn a lot from running.

As my last couple of audaxes are in the next 10 days I have entered a handful of 10ks and a 10m mid-Nov.   There is a chance of doing a half marathon at the end of November but I will need to see how I build up,

« Reply #2113 on: 24 August, 2022, 07:07:34 pm »
am very slowly building the running back up again as an attempt to shift some timber. 

Am now doing just over 5k of 'intervals', 3 mins running and 1 walking.  This is normally the stage I get to when I try and run too much (or too fast) and knacker a calf muscle, so I'll try and gradually build the running part up to about 5 mins, keep the rest at 1 min and see how it goes.  Am quite enjoying it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2114 on: 29 August, 2022, 06:29:50 pm »
Dr Beardy’s running improves apace, with 36 minute 5k, while I look on with envy. My good lady was already showing signs of being faster than me before I hurt myself so I can’t blame my setback for her betterness. It helps that not only is she less than half my weight, but her BMI is also where it should be whereas mine is significantly in the red.

I’ve reached a dangerous stage in my recovery in that I can feel that my leg is getting better, but I know it’s not there yet. I want to go out for a run, but I know that I need to,hold off for a few more days yet.

« Reply #2115 on: 02 September, 2022, 03:37:42 pm »
Quite an enjoyable week exercise wise.  Cycle to Chester on sunday got me 150km, then a 12km walk with my wife on Monday in chester.  An hours running on Tuesday with "sprint " intervals to try and improve my speed, weights on Wednesday, then a smidge under 10k this morning at a nice steady HR on many of the roads we will use in 5 weeks time.  I have decided for the next few weeks just to do road runs to get the feel although I prefer running in the countryside. 

« Reply #2116 on: 16 September, 2022, 06:45:30 pm »
Planning to put the wheels back on the wagon next week.  I have a heavily modified C25K programme mapped out.

My friend with whom I was gently trotting to encourage him has fallen by the wayside as many do unfortunately.  I'm back to going it alone.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2117 on: 16 September, 2022, 07:36:34 pm »
You’re never alone PB, we’re here all the way.  :thumbsup:

As it happens, I’m feeling that my injury is now fully healed with todays walk being somewhat of a success. I’m therefore planning my return to be Monday if I can wait that long.

felstedrider

« Reply #2118 on: 18 September, 2022, 04:54:28 pm »
Doubled up last 2 weekends.

Felixstowe Parkrun & local trail 10k

Ipswich Parkrun and Duxford 10k (entry included free entry to the museum).

Parkruns getting back into the 25s.  Second 10k in 53mins.   Still down on where I was pre-injury but improving now there’s less cycling going on.

« Reply #2119 on: 18 September, 2022, 05:48:01 pm »
My alarm is set for an early tomorrow.  My resolve will be tested when my alarm wakes me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2120 on: 18 September, 2022, 06:40:49 pm »
In a bit of reverse psychology, if you go out I’ll feel obliged to follow suit later in the day  :demon:
 (probably when lots of people will be at home watching tv)

« Reply #2121 on: 19 September, 2022, 05:57:42 am »
Up a bit later than planned but something cropped up late yesterday which requires my attention today.

I have a large file of paperwork before me and I am about to start sifting through it.

Might get out later but more likely that I will give it another attempt on Wednesday.

Also thinking that perhaps early starts can wait until next spring / summer.  We'll see what Wednesday brings.

Over to you Beardy ... 

« Reply #2122 on: 19 September, 2022, 06:42:35 am »
After a long absence I've decided to have another crack at this running malarkey. Garmin Connect offer Garmin coach for free. Initially you have to complete a baseline run, which is Walk or jog for 2 minutes then 5 minutes 'strong' then 2 minutes walk or jog. Completed that and 3 consecutive runs over about 10 day period whilst also cycling up to 40 miles a couple of times a week. 
My word, everything hurts, knees hips thighs. I should say that prior to signing up to the Garmin programme I did run 3 miles twice the week before to see if I could still run.
My comeback to running has proved quite a challenge,  but hopefully worth it. I could do with losing a stone but my appetite means I always seem to be trying to out exercise a poor diet.
I admire the contributors on this thread for their honesty and laying it out there,  successes and otherwise.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2123 on: 19 September, 2022, 01:46:47 pm »
After a 4 week hiatus due to injury, I went out and did a very steady 4k. Inevitably I set off a bit fast, but the first incline against me did a good job of educating me  ;) 

I do feel I could probably have gone further, but as I’d done the loop I’d planned and it being my first outing in a while, I decided to stop.

Hot and sweaty now, but feeling a bit smug.  :smug:

« Reply #2124 on: 19 September, 2022, 04:45:02 pm »
am very slowly building the running back up again as an attempt to shift some timber. 

Am now doing just over 5k of 'intervals', 3 mins running and 1 walking.  This is normally the stage I get to when I try and run too much (or too fast) and knacker a calf muscle, so I'll try and gradually build the running part up to about 5 mins, keep the rest at 1 min and see how it goes.  Am quite enjoying it.

Huh, building up slow and steady seems to be working.  8k today @ 4 mins on / 1 off.  Going well.