Author Topic: TCR no8.  (Read 85999 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: TCR no8.
« Reply #625 on: 01 August, 2022, 08:14:47 pm »
Personally, I find it a bit strange that they are this concerned about rider safety in Romania and Bulgaria while they have no issue with riders descending Passo di Gavia at 3am in bad weather (I know, I should sleep and not check dots at that time) or riders barely sleeping for several nights in a row. But that's their choice. I'm still enjoying a cracking race. My money's on Strasser.

I have strong opinions on the parcour choices that are best voiced over a beer and not on an online forum.

Lost dot have a big map of banned roads, prohibited roads, and roads with warnings across Europe. The route Fiona took from the Croatian border to Sarajevo has a road warning on it. No idea what the warning means. But it has one.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #626 on: 01 August, 2022, 11:18:27 pm »

I have strong opinions on the parcour choices that are best voiced over a beer and not on an online forum.
I'm sure all the riders have strong opinions on those sections. Ulrich's will probably involve lots of Teutonic profanity after a 'slightly broken' Lightweight Meilenstein rim (those wheels are only £5500 a pair after all) and making leg warmers from a survival blanket. Octave Lapize after the Tourmalet springs to mind....

« Reply #627 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:48:14 am »
I really enjoyed this TCR podcast, from CP2.  Off-the-cuff interviews with the first three through, a long one with a chirpy sounding Fiona Kolbinger about her theft travails, one with an Italian who's imagination had been captured by dotwatching and who just turned up at the CP to put some flesh to it ('And maybe one day you would like to do the ride yourself?' 'Maybe let me learn to ride a bike first'). Oh, and the seriously bickering French pair was very funny. At least, I think they were serious. And many more stories behind the dots, and not just from the front-runners.

thanks for the tip
often lost.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #628 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:14:00 am »

I'm sure all the riders have strong opinions on those sections. Ulrich's will probably involve lots of Teutonic profanity after a 'slightly broken' Lightweight Meilenstein rim (those wheels are only £5500 a pair after all)

Wrong choice of equipment, I'm afraid...

« Reply #629 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:08:19 am »

I'm sure all the riders have strong opinions on those sections. Ulrich's will probably involve lots of Teutonic profanity after a 'slightly broken' Lightweight Meilenstein rim (those wheels are only £5500 a pair after all)

He'll know better next time. Get a better warranty agreement!

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #630 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:06:17 am »

Woke up to find some interesting controversy posted by James Hayden on Instagram.

Apparently Ulrich's card did not work at the gas station in Romania. Christoph gave him some money.

This is by the letter of the rules. Not Allowed. Technically that should be a DSQ. *IF* it happened. Ulrich posted on Instagram stories about it. Ulrich has since deleted this. Ultimately it's going to be for Anna to decide upon. Given how big a name Ulrich is within the race this year. It doesn't do the race any good to have the controversy. It doesn't look good for a top 3 riders to get a DSQ over something that is both so minor. Yet also so very much against the rules.

James rightly points out this is about lack of planning on Ulrich's part. Only having one type of payment card (v-pay is known to not work in most Romanian terminals). For not having cash (why did he not raid a cash point as soon as he crossed the border so he had some cash).

Christoph should have known not to help Ulrich. I don't think there will be any penalty for him tho.

James also mentions that Fiona's cash method could be dubious too. Since having her purse stolen in Czechia, she has been buying cash from people by paypaling them money, and then giving her cash. If this is not pre arranged. And no done with other racers. I don't see how this is against the rules. In fact I'd say this is a rather genius solution to the how to get cash when things have been stolen problem. She may have to share her PayPal history with race control at the finish to show that it's only been strangers (or volunteers at CPs). Who have done this.

Anyway. Christoph has a huge lead and is heading for a ferry. We'll see what happens about the gas station cash controversy in due course.

J
--

« Reply #631 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:26:04 am »
Oh dear.

I read something cryptic about 'Money' last night and imagined something a lot less 'innocent' than that. Sounds like it might get messy, which would be a shame.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #632 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:31:20 am »
Oh dear.

I read something cryptic about 'Money' last night and imagined something a lot less 'innocent' than that. Sounds like it might get messy, which would be a shame.

Ulrich has now dropped back to 3rd. And has been static for 3 hours. It's plausible this is yet more tracker issues. Or he could have realised he's fucked up and decided to ease off.

J
--

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #633 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:32:32 am »

Endless amounts of whataboutery could result from those discussions. He posted on Instagram about the wheels pre-race
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_-4owIuRn/
with a (well-reasoned) defence of his choice. But yeah, he'd have probably have been better off going for more spokes…

« Reply #634 on: 02 August, 2022, 12:54:15 pm »

Endless amounts of whataboutery could result from those discussions. He posted on Instagram about the wheels pre-race
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_-4owIuRn/
with a (well-reasoned) defence of his choice. But yeah, he'd have probably have been better off going for more spokes…

Having read that Insta  link I would have to suggest that he watched the Jumbo team at the Paris-Roubaix this year and factored that into his calculations along with the expression "total autonomy". Pros have wagon loads of kit following just behind, not so TCR racers.

On the money issue, I feel that it's rather sad that there should be no occasional emergency aid between riders. Obviously I would never have been an ultraracer, it's in the rules and someone of his experience should have known better and have planned for that contingency - but all the same, somewhere simple humanity has to trump competition.  Would I pass a cable, a tyre, the use of my chain tool etc to another competitor to allow them to continue? Undoubtedly I would (there we are, I could never be a competitor!)

Notfromrugby

« Reply #635 on: 02 August, 2022, 01:35:48 pm »
TV give you a skewed idea of Paris Roubaix... you only see those who "survive", you typically don't see what happens at the back of the race and you only see a broken wheel if it happens to Van Aert & Co.

I have done the Cyclo version of Paris-Roubaix twice and it really tests the rider as much as the equipment... I would never use a pair of Lightweights on anything other that decent tarmac... not much because they are or aren't more fragile (I honestly have no idea), but mostly because any damage cannot be fixed at the shop down the road. So then you need a new pair of wheels. Ultimately and maybe controversially, TCR is a very long reliability ride, you set off to do it in 10 days or whatever and try to stick to the plan as much as possible... the name suggests it is about reliability.

« Reply #636 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:04:56 pm »
Oh dear.

Ulrich has now dropped back to 3rd. And has been static for 3 hours. It's plausible this is yet more tracker issues. Or he could have realised he's fucked up and decided to ease off.

J

He's not that far behind Adam Bialek now. But AB seems to be heading further east for a ferry between Giurgiu and Ruse, which today's report on the TCR site doesn't mention. If the TCR site timetable and my time zone calculations are correct then Strasser has quite a long wait for the ferry now at Turnu Magurele. I can't find the timetable for the Guirgiu/Ruse ferry.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #637 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:07:33 pm »

He's not that far behind Adam Bialek now. But AB seems to be heading further east for a ferry between Giurgiu and Ruse, which today's report on the TCR site doesn't mention. If the TCR site timetable and my time zone calculations are correct then Strasser has quite a long wait for the ferry now at Turnu Magurele. I can't find the timetable for the Guirgiu/Ruse ferry.
Strasser should make the 1600 local time ferry. Or worst case the 1930 local time ferry. What the other two do on the other hand...

Rumour has it the Bechett ferry isn't running due to not enough water in the river.

J
--

« Reply #638 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:12:57 pm »

Strasser should make the 1600 local time ferry.
Oh yes.  My calculations were incorrect.  I knew there was a good reason why I hadn't entered.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #639 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:17:57 pm »
On the money issue, I feel that it's rather sad that there should be no occasional emergency aid between riders. Obviously I would never have been an ultraracer, it's in the rules and someone of his experience should have known better and have planned for that contingency - but all the same, somewhere simple humanity has to trump competition.  Would I pass a cable, a tyre, the use of my chain tool etc to another competitor to allow them to continue? Undoubtedly I would (there we are, I could never be a competitor!)
I agree totally. But meh, it's a sport, and the whole thing about sport is to take a simple activity (running, jumping, kicking, etc) and invent intricate rules around it.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #640 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:21:37 pm »
TV give you a skewed idea of Paris Roubaix... you only see those who "survive", you typically don't see what happens at the back of the race and you only see a broken wheel if it happens to Van Aert & Co.

I have done the Cyclo version of Paris-Roubaix twice and it really tests the rider as much as the equipment... I would never use a pair of Lightweights on anything other that decent tarmac... not much because they are or aren't more fragile (I honestly have no idea), but mostly because any damage cannot be fixed at the shop down the road. So then you need a new pair of wheels. Ultimately and maybe controversially, TCR is a very long reliability ride, you set off to do it in 10 days or whatever and try to stick to the plan as much as possible... the name suggests it is about reliability.

Maybe you would if you were sponsored by Lightweight - as Ulrich is.

Notfromrugby

« Reply #641 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:29:24 pm »

Maybe you would if you were sponsored by Lightweight - as Ulrich is.

I guess...

Notfromrugby

« Reply #642 on: 02 August, 2022, 02:35:52 pm »
It's really becoming a big event with a lot of press coverage. I was reading the very short list of rules and there is no mention of doping violations. I would assume the use of drugs to keep alert at night is widespread? And seeing at the top end some riders come from the murky Granfondo scene, it would probably be time to take a stand maybe...

« Reply #643 on: 02 August, 2022, 03:37:25 pm »
It's really becoming a big event with a lot of press coverage. I was reading the very short list of rules and there is no mention of doping violations. I would assume the use of drugs to keep alert at night is widespread? And seeing at the top end some riders come from the murky Granfondo scene, it would probably be time to take a stand maybe...
Lots of caffeine for sure!

« Reply #644 on: 02 August, 2022, 03:50:46 pm »
Christoph now across Danube

« Reply #645 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:04:38 pm »

Totally agree. The TCR (and races with a similar approach to this) are outside of my interest zone as a participant. I might consider those, however, which have a more humane approach and of course venture more into less hot area's.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #646 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:33:06 pm »

There's a lot of speculation on twitter that the Ferry at Bechet is not running due to a lack of water in the river. Ulrich is about to arrive there hoping for a 2300 EEST ferry. Which noone is certain will be running.

Meanwhile Adam is about 50km down river and finding he's missed all the ferries for the night. Chances are both will ride to the ferry in the middle where Christoph crossed. They can then sleep until the first ferry and have a sprint for the finish. I wonder how many of those in 4-8th will catch up with them in time for the first ferry. It's gonna be very close for those in 2-8.

J
--

« Reply #647 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:38:11 pm »
We will find out soon enough as crew car at ferry and Ulrich almost there

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #648 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:57:31 pm »
We will find out soon enough as crew car at ferry and Ulrich almost there

He's there...

J
--

« Reply #649 on: 02 August, 2022, 08:44:42 pm »
urgh hes foxtrotting off.  Bummer.
there's another story for the ages in the book of TCR.

often lost.