Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 23385 times)

Re: Rugby League
« Reply #50 on: 18 July, 2021, 01:58:36 pm »
Even more reason for me to be less negative towards them.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #51 on: 22 July, 2021, 11:14:32 am »
NZ and Oz out of the world cup next year
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57925720

On one hand, makes sense for them not to risk it, on the other hand other Nz/Oz teams have been travelling internationally/to the UK, on the other hand the domestic league in the UK has had disruptions, how can we be sure the WC won't.

As strange as it seems, I think it makes sense to go on without them, the alternative would be waiting another 2-3 years.

« Reply #52 on: 22 July, 2021, 05:35:53 pm »
Well that'll put a massive * next to England's win

« Reply #53 on: 22 July, 2021, 10:15:56 pm »
I think the Chief Exec. (or whatever he's called)'s description of the OZ/NZ decision as cowardly was, frankly, despicable, and will appear on news quizzes and so on for years to come.  You really can't have someone with such poor communication skills and so many toys and such a small pram at the top of even such an insignificant outfit as a national sporting association.

« Reply #54 on: 22 July, 2021, 10:23:57 pm »
I think the Chief Exec. (or whatever he's called)'s description of the OZ/NZ decision as cowardly was, frankly, despicable, and will appear on news quizzes and so on for years to come.  You really can't have someone with such poor communication skills and so many toys and such a small pram at the top of even such an insignificant outfit as a national sporting association.

As above.

« Reply #55 on: 22 July, 2021, 10:29:30 pm »
 ;)

« Reply #56 on: 22 July, 2021, 11:33:26 pm »
You need to understand the context here though.
It's not true that sports players from NZ and Oz can't come to the UK, the Kiwi cricketers came over, the OZ RU players came over, they're all off to Tokyo.  So it's simply not true that they are avoiding this due to COVID.  (They also, like utter dickheads, waited about a week after the UK decided that they would go ahead with the tournament, and then pulled out.  So they showed a massive lack of class themselves).
It's (possibly/probably) not about COVID, it's about NRL clubs not wanting to have their players go to the world cup, and using COVID as an excuse.  Which is frankly despicable.
It's not just NZ and Oz that will be affected, this will hit all the PI, PNG, Cook Island teams.

If the UK want to go ahead with it, they will need to have a representative Kiwi and Australian side, made up of their import players.

« Reply #57 on: 23 July, 2021, 12:28:51 am »
Your points may be valid - but the "cowardly" response was made to the OZ/NZ assertion that it was their players' well-being that had prompted the decision, whether or not you think that is the case.  The word despicable was introduced by me to refer to the head lad's response.  I still think it's fair.  He should have said what he meant, if you think it was actually about something else.  Apart from anything else, he is risking the health of his own players in future confrontations: suggesting Antipodeans are cowardly is unwise, I suspect!  I'd be very surprised if he's still head lad by the time the next after-match banquet comes round, anyway.  He looked as if he was going to burst a blood vessel on screen.

It's a colossal disappointment for the towns involved - but I suspect it'll all prove to be irrelevant because we're all going to be in serious lock-down again by then.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #58 on: 23 July, 2021, 12:57:11 am »
BRITAIN ent safe” they cried, less than a week after an Aussie won Wmbldn.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2021, 02:16:39 am »
I expect they were looking at the figures and graphs and reckoning it's not going to be safe come World Cup time.

« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2021, 11:41:34 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/57939301
The Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) says a number of its members wanted to travel to England for the tournament this autumn.
Australia and New Zealand withdrew on Thursday because of "player welfare and safety concerns" related to Covid-19.
RLPA chief executive Clint Newton said their decision was "disappointing".
"We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks," he said in a statement.
"Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely."

"For players representing remaining participating nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation," he added.
"We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night's decision."
Seems the real reason is
There are also concerns about players and staff having to quarantine for 14 days on their return to Australia, with the country's borders currently closed because of the pandemic.
Those regulations would mean players would only return to their NRL clubs two weeks before trial games for the 2022 season begin.

« Reply #61 on: 22 August, 2021, 07:05:30 pm »
'luddy 'ell, Leigh won a match!

« Reply #62 on: 22 August, 2021, 09:09:49 pm »
Yes, good stuff!  I may have mentioned that my wife's uncle played for Giants, when they were Fartown.  In the next generation her cousin played for Leigh.  There was no player welfare in the 50s and 60s, or very little, so after someone trod on his hand and bust it, that was the finish and he had to become a joiner (where you don't need hands!).  They were both from west Cumberland and are the reason I look out for Leigh and Giants results.  Obviously, I have to look for Hornets, too, and I really do mean to get to Spotland and watch a division 12 match again, soon!  They'll be overtaken by Mayfield, soon!

« Reply #63 on: 30 August, 2021, 05:15:14 pm »
Big eyebrows raised at Salford besting FC and Wakey getting the better of Leeds.  I have hopes (but would not bet on) Cas vs Wigan (who will be hurting from last week).
Important match for me is the Catalan one, reckon they will get a scare from Leigh but then roll them over - expect a Catalan score late in the first half and then they get on a roll at about 60-70 mins.

« Reply #64 on: 30 August, 2021, 07:04:49 pm »
I may have expected too much from Leigh.

« Reply #65 on: 30 August, 2021, 10:14:55 pm »
It isn't difficult, is it?  Sadly.

« Reply #66 on: 30 August, 2021, 11:31:59 pm »
They've cause a few shocks in the first half and if anyone will be overconfident it would be Catalans at home.
All the clubs in the run for 5-6 place for playoffs lost.  Reckon it'll be Catalans-Saint for the Grand Final and I won't hold my breath.

« Reply #67 on: 31 August, 2021, 12:10:11 am »
I think you could be right.  I suppose I'm a traditionalist in that I feel uneasy about Catalans (or Toronto) even being involved.  It might be good to spread the game, I don't know, but I think of RL as being a "thing" from the North of England!  Billy Boston's about as international as I want to get!

« Reply #68 on: 31 August, 2021, 11:37:39 am »
I get where you're coming from in that there has been a history of trying to artificially seed clubs where there is no RL history (e.g. PSG, Crusaders and to some extent London) but Catalans are a really strong club with consistent backing in the French RL heartland, so pretty traditional.

« Reply #69 on: 31 August, 2021, 02:00:55 pm »
Certainly.  it's just an emotional reaction.  I started taking an interest as a 10 or 12 year-old in the days of Eddie Waring ("Heh, heh - earrly bath!!"), when big names were people like the Foxes and, of course, Billy Boston.  I haven't actually got a valid argument against the broadening of the geographical catchment area.  But I definitely agree with the argument against preferential seeding.  Changing codes, I remember in (I think) the 70s when Celtic and Rangers were agitating to be allowed to join the First Division in England.  The FA was, (again "I think") agreeable, so long as the Scottish teams started in the bottom division.  Obviously this came to nothing and I like to think that it was because their boards recognised that they might never get out of those divisions!  Nowadays, they'd effortlessly finish mid-table - in League 1!

Peter

« Reply #70 on: 31 August, 2021, 07:38:58 pm »
Celtic and Rangers should have fielded a side in both comps.

I think with changing times where sport is funded more and more by TV rights and BIG BUSINESS there's more of an argument of seeding sides.  For example Wasps in RU have wandered about the country and are currently in Coventry.  If the RFL was offered 10% more for a SL that included London then it's a no-brainer.

I think it was better when they had a bigger SL and then split into the super-8s with bottom 4 playing top 4 of the Championship - but I am very much an armchair fan.

« Reply #71 on: 03 September, 2021, 11:35:09 pm »
Run in for top spot
Saints-Catalan
then Saints should win the rest of their matches, Catalan should beat Huddersfield, but then have Wigan away.

Reckon if Catalans beat Saints it's a done deal, but if not they have to beat Wigan last match of the season.  It's not impossible but I reckon Saints are more likely to win the next three and Catalans could bottle it in the last match of the season.

« Reply #72 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:23:17 pm »
NoFuckingWay
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58449766

Now, with their clutch of ex-Wigan players, star full-back Sam Tomkins, winger Tom Davies and forwards Gil Dudson, Michael McIlorum and Joel Tomkins, they have a chance to win a first Grand Final.
Thanks for dismissing all our home players and pushing the narrative that we don't have any. :facepalm:

« Reply #73 on: 04 September, 2021, 11:54:21 pm »
Early bath..... for journalists!

« Reply #74 on: 05 September, 2021, 03:01:36 pm »
Looks like a French club will top both the SL and the Championship this year!