Author Topic: Closed level crossings  (Read 14459 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Closed level crossings
« Reply #75 on: 02 August, 2022, 06:26:47 pm »
It's a couple of years since I used either of those and I don't remember the surface quality, but I expect the first in particular is probably more suited to walking than riding.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #76 on: 02 August, 2022, 09:19:24 pm »
The suggested (unbuilt) route to Driffield would use a 70mph one-way slip road, which could be a bit hairy.

The environmental impact assessment is still available online.  They acknowledge that cyclist safety is worse at this point than before.  They also state that only ONE property (and that owned by the DfT anyway!) was eligible for noise mitigation measures.  What they didn't tell locals beforehand is that the road is, unusually for the UK, surfaced in concrete on its way through the entire Cotswold Water Park, and the tyre roar can be heard from China.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #77 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:45:20 pm »
Two ways of crossing the A419 at or near Cricklade that are doable by bike. One is the path visible here going round the back of "North Meadow Livery" then twisting steeply up to emerge alongside the slip road, visible here:
https://goo.gl/maps/UKdY1hM41KPmF7w39
I presume this is the "obscure and almost unrideable footpath" referred to.

The other one is even further out of town, and probably even more obscure, down what looks like a farm track, but is in fact a road, here:
https://goo.gl/maps/REKEjmdNCZy55tVT7

It was indeed the first I meant - unfortunately the aerial view doesn't tell you anything about the surface quality. I didn't know about the second - thanks for the tip - but it's really only sensible for going between Cricklade and Latton, and were I going to Latton I wouldn't go through Cricklade.
IMO the biggest boondoggle of the lot is that the Roman Road between Cricklade and East Swindon is subsumed by the A419. The blue dots are crying out for a high quality cycle route.

Especially if you, like me, find appeal in riding the route of Roman Roads!

rogerzilla

« Reply #78 on: 06 August, 2022, 10:43:33 am »
Cyclists: there is no safe direct route from Swindon to Cricklade

DfT: what do you mean? You can legally use that roaring pseudo-motorway.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #79 on: 06 August, 2022, 10:09:14 pm »
Last time I passed, they’d blocked off the junction at Crosslanes Farm, so NCR 45 for the WIN!
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #80 on: 08 August, 2022, 08:46:44 am »
Cyclists: there is no safe direct route from Swindon to Cricklade

DfT: what do you mean? You can legally use that roaring pseudo-motorway.
It's very similar to a local section of the A303. Roman Road, roaring trunk road...

And a nice sign...

rogerzilla

« Reply #81 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:26:12 am »
Last time I passed, they’d blocked off the junction at Crosslanes Farm, so NCR 45 for the WIN!
IME the off-road bits of NCN45 are largely impassable between Hayes Knoll and Ciren.