Author Topic: Sustrans Milepost Bagging  (Read 1939 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
Sustrans Milepost Bagging
« on: 28 October, 2021, 04:39:01 pm »
To inspire me to do some more exploring around the UK I decided to start trying to visit as many of the Millennium Mileposts added to the routes.
21 years after they were installed.  Sustrans volunteers have recently been auditing locations and painting them.

They have now come up with what is stated to be the definitive map tool of these mileposts.
https://sustrans-uk.maps.arcgis.com/apps/dashboards/68e25983f2e64bf1aa76058bb60949ef

I had been using some old databases and google maps created by Sustrans and others on locations, which had been shown to be out of date as many have been moved, lost or just inaccurately recorded.
I then grabbed all the info off the Opensource mapping where people had recorded errors and new locations and made an indexed table so I could tick them off.

I was very interested in this new tool to aid my quest after it was promoted on the Sustrans FB page, but on first looks it does seem to have many posts missing that are definitely still there (John o Groats one for instance) and even stranger they seem to have totally ignored or changed the original numbering system.

Does anyone else Photograoh or Bag these Mileposts. It would be good to share experiences, or see what Mileposts you passed today even on general riding.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: Sustrans Milepost Bagging
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2021, 05:13:57 pm »
They're a bit sparse in this neck of the woods. Here's the only one I have a pic of (no. 919):

IMG_8758_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2021, 06:36:23 pm »
RWGPS when the OSM layer is on has them shown too, which might be of help to others planning on bagging them, we have quite a few in Essex
Regards,

Joergen

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2021, 06:41:59 pm »
RWGPS when the OSM layer is on has them shown too, which might be of help to others planning on bagging them, we have quite a few in Essex

Do you mean the OSM Cycle layer?

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2021, 06:44:49 pm »
It's a nice idea and anyone who only even bags a few should get a special award for tolerating that many miles on NCN routes! :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2021, 07:31:30 pm »

Do you mean the OSM Cycle layer?

Yep  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2022, 01:02:39 pm »
I usually like to 'bag' them when I stubble across them.

Here's one grabbed from my strava uploads from this year:
https://www.strava.com/activities/5846710537

It's on the proper off-road NCN47 route - but seems to be missing in that Millennium Milepost Audit 2021.
(but is in this http://opendata.sustrans.org.uk/data/kml/Mileposts.kml dataset).

Seems to be good idea to be something to include when planning routes.

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2022, 01:05:48 pm »
I had one of those as an info question on an audax last month, loads of riders sailed past it  :facepalm: