Author Topic: New Highway Code Changes TODAY  (Read 5964 times)

New Highway Code Changes TODAY
« on: 29 January, 2022, 09:36:30 am »
The changes are effective from today, 29th Jan and too many motorists don't know about them
Here's a run down of important changes for Cyclists and an exchange of opinion
Stay safe out there

https://youtu.be/LHtpeouFIyw

Re: New Highway Code Changes TODAY
« Reply #1 on: 29 January, 2022, 11:45:33 am »
I managed (after contacting the moderators) to get a thread about the new
Highway Code revisions on the Honest John website closed down. The moderator
agreed that the arguments in thread were going over well-trodden ground that
added nothing new, and wouldn't get (irate) motorists to change their attitudes
and behaviours.

And according to Sky News:
AA president, Edmund King, said drivers are "likely to get hit by another vehicle from behind" if they stop on busy roads to allow someone to cross. :facepalm:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 29 January, 2022, 12:24:46 pm »
Yes, that seems to be the moton’s view of what is going to happen. Quite extraordinary.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3 on: 29 January, 2022, 03:12:13 pm »
I can happily report that I stopped in the main carriageway today to let two pedestrians cross the road I was turning into.

I was not struck from behind.
Rust never sleeps

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 29 January, 2022, 03:42:38 pm »
If Edmund King is not an alumnus of the Super-Twat thread then 'tis a lamentable omission.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2022, 11:49:26 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU9tBBQNq_0 and the comments below it shows that the vocal think that cyclist's lives are not as important as the driver getting to the back of the queue a few seconds earlier.

In particular, he thinks that giving way to pedestrians at a junction will lead to mexican-stand offs and massive delays, which can happen now at pedestrian crossings, isn't particularly dangerous, and doesn't cause big delays.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2022, 06:53:13 pm »
IMHO it's a massive own goal for cyclists; we managed perfectly well before and Covid did an awful lot as more people got out on their bikes most of whom were also motorists and we all took on board how important it is to share the road and be considerate. Now it's in the public domain and the right wing press allowing extremists on both sides to play it off against each other  :(

I blame Roger Geffen John Franklin and all the other F wits in CUK

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:12:26 pm »
On the contrary. Like other controls on motorists, there will be outcry, and then the changes will become the norm.

« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2022, 07:58:50 pm »
I hope things become safer for the most vulnerable road users. This legislation is a step in the right direction, however, in the short term I doubt things will change much and I personally will continue to be wary of motor vehicles. Occasionally I visit relatives in London on my bike and am alarmed by the road craft of all road users. I imagine this legislation will help pedestrians and cyclists in city traffic. I’ll stick to my rural roads and byways

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2022, 10:02:19 pm »
At a junction you should give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning.

should isn't as strong as must

will this actually affect anyone's driving behaviour?

these "rule changes" seem like mostly the same as before... what practical difference is actually anticipated?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2022, 10:37:26 pm »
Yes, it's not legislation, it's guidance.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2022, 07:20:50 am »
I wouldn't rely on "should" when crossing the road.  It doesn't matter to you who was in the right, if you're dead.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2022, 08:10:54 am »
I think that the rabid commentators in the press have missed the fact that there is no change to the underlying road traffic act and other laws, it’s a change to the Highway Code, which as mentioned above, is guidance. There will be no change in the policing of the roads because the constabularies just don’t have the resources. The only real changes will be when it comes to apportioning blame after the event, either by the courts or by insurance companies. This will eventually (maybe) trickle down to the consciousness of road users. Possibly.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2022, 08:34:54 am »
I wouldn't rely on "should" when crossing the road.  It doesn't matter to you who was in the right, if you're dead.
He was right, quite right
As he rode along
But he's just as dead
As if he'd been wrong
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2022, 11:14:15 am »
IMHO it's a massive own goal for cyclists; we managed perfectly well before and Covid did an awful lot as more people got out on their bikes most of whom were also motorists and we all took on board how important it is to share the road and be considerate. Now it's in the public domain and the right wing press allowing extremists on both sides to play it off against each other  :(

I blame Roger Geffen John Franklin and all the other F wits in CUK

You have just encapsulated why effectively no one in the UK cycles. I can't believe we're still doing the let's just be nice and share the road crap. We need to protect vulnerable road users and remove the bias towards vehicles. If that upsets the usual fraternity of groups who like to be offended by such things, fuck them.

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:03:55 pm »
One of us has misfired on sarcasm.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2022, 06:35:22 pm »
isn't that how Zebra crossings work?

You don't stroll out in front of a moton who clearly has no chance of stopping in time.

But it's better to have the (partial) protection of the principle that drivers will almost always stop for you.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #17 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:23:27 pm »
Patient today:

“So do you ride a bike?”

“Yeah”

“Did you know you can ride in the middle of the road now? Did you know that? Cab driver was telling me on the way here."

« Reply #18 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:31:04 pm »
Presumably the patient didn't mention the cab driver's expletives in between every other word.

« Reply #19 on: 02 February, 2022, 09:31:57 pm »
I don’t want to generalise, but I like to imagine it was great pleasure the cabbie felt as they shared this news.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #20 on: 03 February, 2022, 03:57:18 pm »
"These days you can ride in the middle of the road now. These days."
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #21 on: 03 February, 2022, 04:09:45 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #22 on: 03 February, 2022, 06:50:14 pm »
According to yesterday's BBC Look East news, one of the 'new Highway Code rules' is that "cyclists must not overtake pedestrians or horseriders"...  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #23 on: 03 February, 2022, 11:10:31 pm »
It's a misprint: it is supposed to say, "Cyclists must not operate pedestrians or horse-riders."

« Reply #24 on: 04 February, 2022, 09:52:45 am »
According to yesterday's BBC Look East news, one of the 'new Highway Code rules' is that "cyclists must not overtake pedestrians or horseriders"...  :facepalm:

and motorists must not overtake cyclists…