Author Topic: How to transport a Fujin SL?  (Read 1352 times)

How to transport a Fujin SL?
« on: 31 January, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »
Serendipity means that it fits in to our Skoda Roomster beautifully  (split backseat, just high enough, with the chain s̶a̶w̶ wheel between us but covered up), but the car is getting old now and we will eventually move to electric (preferably second-hand, I really don't want to do the first inevitable scratch to a new car). Looking at options and it doesn't look as though it is that easy to find an equivalent car - most that would fit it in end up with being simply too big.

?1) Adapted roof-rack - anybody done this? (but perhaps a bit hard to lift as we age).
?2) Carried transversely on a rack? It is 196cm long and caravans are wider than this, but is that legally OK? If so, presumably needs covering up very obviously. Has anybody done this?

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
Re: How to transport a Fujin SL?
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2022, 02:18:11 pm »
I used a bike roof rack with my Fujin SL, while it had a double front fork. One of those setups where you remove the front wheel and clip the front fork into a block with a quick release on it. It worked very well as long as I remembered to take the seat cushion off. The SL isn't heavy enough to be much of a problem to get up there, and the fork mount holds the bike nice and steady, with the rear wheel in another block with a strap on it.
I then used a towbar rack and the bike went onto that just fine - the wheelbase is not unlike a regular bike.
Less satisfaction with those racks that have bars meant to go through a frame.
Can't recall the name of the
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2022, 07:47:06 pm »
That's useful, thanks. I think I will go for the roof rack. Transversely it does seem to stick out the sides rather too much for comfort.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2022, 12:39:58 pm »
My Cruzbike goes on a towbar mounted rack with no issues other wobbling alarmingly in the rear view mirror
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2022, 01:02:16 pm »
I did once transport Cosimo the Stealth Baron back from Lancaster on a towbar-mounted rack (because the boot was full of road-test loaner Trice Micro and possibly Dr Sidwell's Toxy ZR as well) but he stuck out alarmingly being somewhat longer than the motor-car was wide.  Didn’t enjoy that trip much.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2022, 01:06:55 pm »
Think I've noticed with modern cars is that the width at the back is usually somewhat less than at the door mirrors, so there's a bit more scope for sticky-outyness than there might first appear.  Still terrifying, though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2022, 01:18:38 pm »
Cruzbike is very much shorter than the M5 it replaced. I wouldn't have fancied putting that on the rack, but It fitted perfectly in the Disco2 down the middle of the cabin with crainrings next to my elbow.

Cruzbike by contrast, because of its height was a right PITA and had to go in the boot sideways.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens