Author Topic: Rear rack for Catrike 700  (Read 2014 times)

Rear rack for Catrike 700
« on: 06 March, 2022, 05:56:33 pm »
I keep going back and forth about this - I would like to be able to do some heavy groceries shopping with the Catrike (now that the SPM is gone).  On one hand Banana Racers are ace, but they won't be the best for carrying lots of bottles of booze.  The top of the back wheel is above head height, so I was wondering whether there might be a rack that is designed to load a pannier 3/4 of the way up the wheel.
Something like this,

but maybe even lower.
I know ICE do some lower mounted racks, like this,

but they don't look like they can fit on NotAnICETrike.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Rear rack for Catrike 700
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:22:08 pm »
Yeah, I think the ICE ones attach at the suspension pivot in a specifically ICEish way.

I'm not sure how low is sensible to go if you want to fit a full-size pannier.  Those look like Ortlieb front-rollers in the ICE photo.

« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:31:22 pm »
Can't you just tow a trailer for shopping?. Could be useful for touring as well  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2022, 06:32:19 pm »
Yes, cycleman, but then I would need a trailer and then run the trike and the trailer through the terraced house.

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2022, 11:12:49 pm »
Yeah, I think the ICE ones attach at the suspension pivot in a specifically ICEish way.

I'm not sure how low is sensible to go if you want to fit a full-size pannier.  Those look like Ortlieb front-rollers in the ICE photo.
Fair point.  On CTC forum I have had a look at the larger radical bags (with rack) or the Ortlieb recumbent panniers - I reckon both might hang a little low on a trike.  I have found the relevant rubus rack online - cost was a bit of a shock.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 07 March, 2022, 12:03:27 am »
My shopping panniers are Altura Orkneys (the massive ones with the flap closure, which turn out not to play well with the suspension on the Streetmachine), and they can get quite droopy when there's just a D-lock or similar relatively small dense object in them.  As I mostly use them on a 700c upright, it's only a problem if I try to use the trailer at the same time.

Here's barakta modelling them on her 20" wheeled ICE trike with a neatly packed camping load, and there's not a lot of room left for droop (particularly as the rack moves relative to the wheel with the suspension travel on this model):

Your wheels and luggage may vary, but I think you're right about the larger radical bags.  (I have vague memories of Auntie Helen dabbling with them at one point?)

« Reply #6 on: 07 March, 2022, 12:17:45 am »
Cheers for the photos.  With the Tubus Evo the bags would be level with the top of a 622 wheel, so 10 cm higher than on a 406.
Just found out that Rose have a decent deal on the Evo rack, and I could get around the posting to the UK issue ... Available in 27 weeks!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 07 March, 2022, 12:34:38 am »
With a 622 you're probably fine droop-wise for pretty much any non-recumbent-specific luggage and rack.

The Ortlieb recumbent panniers were I think designed with a Streetmachine/Fuego type geometry in mind, where the rack is suspended and sits quite high above the wheel.  I've seen people tour with them on lower bikes/trikes, but a touring load tends to be more consistently-shaped than the shopping.

(27 weeks!)

« Reply #8 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:10:29 am »
Tortec Expedition rack is a similar style to that Tubus, and a lot cheaper anyway.

« Reply #9 on: 07 March, 2022, 10:30:52 am »
If 622 wheel the panniers will be same height above road as on an upright, as the attachment at junction of seat / chain stay will be the same.  Tubus do stays up to 35cm and I’m assuming that’s what are being used in your photo.  My wife has 35cm stays on her hybrid bike and the rack is as stable as with the standard shorter stays.

« Reply #10 on: 07 March, 2022, 11:08:07 am »
Tortec Expedition rack is a similar style to that Tubus, and a lot cheaper anyway.
Awesome, that will save me £90 and half a year's wait.

« Reply #11 on: 08 March, 2022, 07:13:07 pm »
Query: The rack would need to attach to a top, horizontal, bar the width of the seat.  I thought P-clips but these would give attachment points in the vertical axis whereas racks attach in the horizontal axis to a DF bike.  How do I solves this?

« Reply #12 on: 13 March, 2022, 05:21:17 pm »
Query: The rack would need to attach to a top, horizontal, bar the width of the seat.  I thought P-clips but these would give attachment points in the vertical axis whereas racks attach in the horizontal axis to a DF bike.  How do I solves this?
Looking at the Expedition online, it's got the common infinite adjustment for the top bars. They'll slide back and forward, yaw left and right, offset slightly left and right, and most importantly twist so the holes will align with p-clips on a horizontal bar. Simply put, loosen everything up and mess about until it's in the right place. The only limiting factor I've found is the length of the top securing bars if they don't reach you anchor point.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

« Reply #13 on: 13 March, 2022, 08:06:44 pm »
Yeah, already got some longer tubus struts. 

« Reply #14 on: 21 March, 2022, 10:15:25 am »
Haz fitted the rack, photos to follow (don't hold your breath).
1 - very much proof of concept, I have the struts held to the frame with very narrow screws on light fittings, will replace with P-clips.
2 - after all this faff trying to source a rack with a lower bag mounting point ... the rack sits so far above the tyre that the lower mounting points are level with the top of the tyre.   :facepalm:
3 - Will have to see whether I can mount a bag and flag at the same time.