Author Topic: Music for your funeral  (Read 10791 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Music for your funeral
« Reply #25 on: 24 March, 2022, 11:03:06 am »
If it's not a cremation, Waiting For The Worms by Pink Floyd?  Not the best song on The Wall, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #26 on: 24 March, 2022, 11:09:42 am »
Or just Worms by The Pogues.  “Your brains come tumbling down your snout”.  Lovely!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #27 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:07:56 pm »
1. Up the Country - Canned Heat
2. Mr Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan
3. All that Way For This - Oysterband

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=1XuVfIDbb8g&feature=share

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #28 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:14:39 pm »
Blatantly stealing from “The Big Chill” I’d go out to “You can’t always get what you want “

« Reply #29 on: 24 March, 2022, 12:24:50 pm »
Not sure I have three currently. Or what order but I'd have The long way home by The magic Theatre and Do you realise bybthe flaming lips.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #30 on: 24 March, 2022, 01:55:23 pm »
Haven't thought about coming in or going out, but as the coffin disappears I want Another One Bites The Dust.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #31 on: 20 April, 2022, 05:51:18 pm »
Or just Worms by The Pogues.  “Your brains come tumbling down your snout”.  Lovely!

That sounds like a song I know as The Hearse Song. I think of it as by Harley Poe, but now I look it up it seems to have a venerable history https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hearse_Song

My three at the moment are:
Look on down from the bridge - Mazzy Star
Saudade - Love and Rockets (for the contemplating bit)
I'd be tempted by the Hearse Song for the way out, but Something's got a hold of my heart - Marc Almond and Gene Pitney might be a better choice. Especially if they burn me.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 20 April, 2022, 06:01:07 pm »
One of my songs would be In the Garden - Van Morrison.

Hopefully it will be raining.
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #33 on: 20 April, 2022, 06:02:50 pm »

That was his last good album (IMO)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #34 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:18:10 am »
Not musical at all, but the question in my mind is whether they cremate you in that overpriced coffin or whip you out of it and return it to the undertaker for resale.  "Only one owner, old bloke who only used it once. It's still got that new-coffin smell."

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #35 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:52:06 am »

Into The Mystic by Grumpy Van would also be a good one.

You Can Close Your Eyes by James Taylor would have to be up there for me.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #36 on: 21 April, 2022, 02:07:35 pm »
As I don’t want anyone wasting money on a funeral for me, I have no opinion on music for the same. I’m advocating direct disposal, as an alternative to just bunging my body in the wheelie bin which would be my preferred option.

I did, however, find some amusement at the idea of having the Thunderbirds theme being played as the curtains opened and the coffin withdrawn.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

« Reply #37 on: 22 April, 2022, 07:38:57 am »
Not musical at all, but the question in my mind is whether they cremate you in that overpriced coffin or whip you out of it and return it to the undertaker for resale.  "Only one owner, old bloke who only used it once. It's still got that new-coffin smell."
Under UK law, cremation has to be in the same sealed coffin as in which the body is delivered to the crematorium.

I remember an episode of Taggart (back in the Mark McManus days) when a dodgy undertaker's assistant was disposing of body parts from murders by popping the odd arm or leg in the coffin with a normal "customer".  That would probably work.

« Reply #38 on: 22 April, 2022, 07:56:18 am »
I’m concerned at the consideration you’ve given to it.

rogerzilla

« Reply #39 on: 22 April, 2022, 08:20:48 am »
Torsos are really difficult  :-\

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #40 on: 22 April, 2022, 08:40:09 am »

Not with the correct mortuary tools.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #41 on: 22 April, 2022, 08:54:28 am »

I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had this thought. Coffins are a phenomenal waste of money. It’s a major racket.

My wife’s cousin was cremated in a wicker coffin. That makes a lot more sense to me. It was still ridiculously expensive for what it is though.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #42 on: 22 April, 2022, 08:59:27 am »

Not with the correct mortuary tools.

It's the spray and splatter that is the problem.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #43 on: 22 April, 2022, 09:22:10 am »
I’m glad I’m not the only one who has had this thought. Coffins are a phenomenal waste of money. It’s a major racket.

My wife’s cousin was cremated in a wicker coffin. That makes a lot more sense to me. It was still ridiculously expensive for what it is though.
One of my drinking buddies is an undertaker, which is just as well because given his business acumen he’d have gone bankrupt a long time ago in any other business.

One think I remembered that he said about wicker coffins is that they are delivered to him in large reinforced cardboard boxes due to their flimsy nature. Somewhat ironic given that many people choose them because they are perceived as a green alternative.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #44 on: 22 April, 2022, 09:27:31 am »
We asked (as per her wishes) for a cardboard coffin for my mother, for cremation. She didn't want us spending unneccesarily on the funeral.  It would have been more expensive than a veneered chipboard one. We got some BS about approvals for incineration, I think it was gouging the cost / environmentally conscious.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

« Reply #45 on: 22 April, 2022, 10:20:33 am »

On IanDG's former island, all non-residents are cremated in a wicker coffin.  Of sorts.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #46 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:08:21 am »

Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together. And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #47 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:12:29 am »

On IanDG's former island, all non-residents are cremated in a wicker coffin.  Of sorts.

;D  ;D  ;D

All burial, Presbyterian religion prohibits cremation. No crematorium on the island.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #48 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:13:46 am »

Apparently the best thing to do is cut up a corpse into six pieces and pile it all together. And when you got your six pieces, you gotta get rid of them, because it's no good leaving it in the deep freeze for your mum to discover, now is it? Then I hear the best thing to do is feed them to pigs. You got to starve the pigs for a few days, then the sight of a chopped-up body will look like curry to a pisshead. You gotta shave the heads of your victims, and pull the teeth out for the sake of the piggies' digestion. You could do this afterwards, of course, but you don't want to go sievin' through pig shit, now do you? They will go through bone like butter. You need at least sixteen pigs to finish the job in one sitting, so be wary of any man who keeps a pig farm. They will go through a body that weighs 200 pounds in about eight minutes. That means that a single pig can consume two pounds of uncooked flesh every minute. Hence the expression, "as greedy as a pig".

:o  ;D

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #49 on: 22 April, 2022, 11:22:48 am »
Quoting Alan Ford as Brick Top in Snatch.