Author Topic: Brompton rider size  (Read 4411 times)

Brompton rider size
« on: 28 March, 2022, 07:07:02 pm »
On a Brompton that has the extended seatpost, what’s the smallest size of person (or inside leg length, even better) that would be comfortable with that seatpost as far down as permissible?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Brompton rider size
« Reply #1 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:21:25 pm »
It's likely to fit adults of the smallest stature, unless they have a form of dwarfism.  Miss Z the elder certainly rode mine when she was about 13.  If you really want a saddle height measurement with the post almost scraping the floor, I can do it.  The advantage of the standard (i.e. no longer standard!) post was smaller folded size and lighter weight, not an ability to fit shorter people.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 28 March, 2022, 09:43:24 pm »
Thanks. Since my post I discovered this, and as you say the differences in the various posts affect only the max height.
https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010454177-What-is-the-maximum-minimum-rider-height-

I think we are going to be OK. Extended post needed for me (1.86m) but, as above, that doesn’t affect the minimum height as I had previously thought it might. The less tall rider of this purely hypothetical Brompton is 1.53m, well within the stated range.

What’s the crank length on a Brompton?

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 28 March, 2022, 10:34:43 pm »
Think they’re 170mm, but I can check in the morning.

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2022, 11:51:14 pm »
A Brompton has arrived and with the extended post it accommodates both of us very well.

I am now going through a Brompton self-initiation. Expect stupid questions. Albeit fewer than in days of yore, as now every question has already been asked and I can JFGI and probably see a video specifically addressing my arcane query.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2022, 02:56:46 pm »
Rode the Brompton to work today for the first time. It was... OK.

How do taller people find the stock forward saddle position on a Brompton?

I am 1.86m and I felt it necessary to reverse the Pentaclip and get the saddle back. Even then, unless I consciously avoid it, I find myself perched on the back edge of the saddle. That would usually make me think "saddle to low" but it's at the right height.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2022, 03:02:22 pm »
Saddle back is better for riding. Saddle forward is better for folding small.

Small bar ends also help get enough distance between handlebar and saddle.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:04:34 pm »
Saddle forward is better for folding small.

Thank you - makes sense. I’m not too bothered about folding small - I have an extended seat post anyway.

Next question. Tyre pressures on the standard Marathons - LBS recommended 100 and 110 psi f/r to minimise the risk of pinch flats. That’s bone-shaking. Do they really need to be that hard?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2022, 07:44:21 pm »
I run 20-30 psi lower at both ends but tend to watch the road surface and ‘ride light’ over defects. If you do neither, stick with boneshaking pressures.

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:16:50 pm »
Thanks again.

Being hemmed in by traffic for much of the time, sometimes rough stuff is unavoidable.

I noted today that there is a lot of squirming if forced to go along edges of yellow lines etc., another thing I haven’t had to look out for when on Schwable Big Apples, so I might cautiously experiment with pressures to see if it reduces that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:33:09 pm »
Run 20-30 lower on the front but keep the rear pressure up - that is a good compromise for most.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2022, 08:34:57 pm »
I run 20-30 psi lower at both ends but tend to watch the road surface and ‘ride light’ over defects. If you do neither, stick with boneshaking pressures.

Similarly, I usually inflate to 90 on the front and 100 on the back, and leave it a while before topping up.

Depending on the wheel-removal faff factor of your chosen gearing, it may be prudent to keep things bone-shaking on the rear.

Bromptons are allergic to potholes regardless of the tyre pressure