Author Topic: Camping Gaz stove/burner  (Read 2558 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Camping Gaz stove/burner
« on: 04 April, 2022, 01:37:15 pm »
I have an old Camping Gaz 470 stove - wasn't used for probably 15 years until about 4 years ago when my wife took it to her allotment for tea making purposes.  It worked fine but the flame has now diminished until it's only about 50% of the burner circumference.

Any ideas why it's doing it?    I've poked all the holes with a long pin but to no avail, and what else I might do?  (other than buy a new unit for about £12!)

Re: Camping Gaz stove/burner
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2022, 01:46:20 pm »
Old canister?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2022, 01:47:31 pm »
Could be water in the feed tubes. Not sure how you'd get it all out without disconnecting from the cylinder.

If you can disconnect, I'd do that, open up the burner valve and leave for 24 hours. Then put it somewhere warm like on a radiator, for a few days. Should drive out and dry up moisture.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2022, 01:58:03 pm »
Could be water in the feed tubes. Not sure how you'd get it all out without disconnecting from the cylinder.

If you can disconnect, I'd do that, open up the burner valve and leave for 24 hours. Then put it somewhere warm like on a radiator, for a few days. Should drive out and dry up moisture.

It's a new canister (it's the disposable type but with the ball valve so that the burner can be removed) - I'll give it a go with opening the valve and warming it . . .  I guess as it lives in the shed at  the allotment it could be damp.  There is only one "feed" to the round, flat burner with 2 or 3 sets of holes all round it - gas somes out but not from all of the burner holes.

This the nearest model that looks like ours  https://www.leisuredepot.co.uk/catalog/product/view/id/1415/s/coleman-twister-plus-gas-stove/?gclid=CjwKCAjwrqqSBhBbEiwAlQeqGvIwxLyC1_zxQ4Vt6A3niIrUUZcYUaeIuKMxtz4h88iC1v4EG3A2mBoCzVYQAvD_BwE

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #4 on: 05 April, 2022, 11:27:47 am »
Was it cold when it was used?
Mine do that when the temperature is low, hence winter and summer gas mixes.

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 05 April, 2022, 12:56:55 pm »
Was it cold when it was used?
Mine do that when the temperature is low, hence winter and summer gas mixes.

Certainly could have been - the stove lives in the shed at the allotment so cold and probably damp.   It's warming up on a radiator in the house at the moment - I'll give it ago in a day or two.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:01:13 pm »
Standard hack for vaporising butane (boiling point: -1C)  in cold conditions: Stand the canister in a container of water.  Even with cold water, it will absorb the required heat much more readily than it can from the air.

(The proper solution is a stove with a pre-heat loop, that uses the heat of its flame to vaporise the liquid fuel directly.  Gas mixtures with more propane or isobutane in them also help.)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 05 April, 2022, 01:43:19 pm »
The proper solution is a Coleman stove  :D

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2022, 02:02:03 pm »

I've suggested a Thermos flask taken from home!

« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2022, 02:25:38 pm »

I've been tempted to invest in a Kelly Kettle for our allotment.  But as there's no water supply down there, a flask probably makes more sense...
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2022, 03:37:18 pm »
There is a primary jet on all the designs I have encountered - usually brass, immediately after the tap/flow control. The brass can develop corrosion and the hole shrinks, jet prickers are often supplied with portable stoves to clear the tiny hole, a sewing pin or needle can do the same job though. As the liquefied gas goes through the jet the expansion and change of state causes the jet to cool and it will often cause condensation on it - which then causes the corrosion.

The usual symptom of running when cold is flaring - when blobs of liquid gas go through the cold jet and vaporise when they hit the burner (normally affects blowtorches more than static stoves).

If any doubt about performance - test it outdoors!