Author Topic: Eurovision 2022  (Read 2964 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Eurovision 2022
« Reply #25 on: 15 May, 2022, 12:49:09 pm »
Apparently they were responsible for Jeux Sans Frontières , which our younger readers will probably be fortunate enough not to recognise.

Jeux Sans Frontières was the thing that immediately sprang to mind on reading Wowbagger's question, but I wasn't sure if they were responsible for it or not.

I loved that programme as a kid. I wish they would bring it back! The domestic version, It's A Knockout, always seemed a bit tame by comparison.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 15 May, 2022, 02:25:05 pm »
Why bother having "Judges" if the whole thing can be easily overturned by a populist vote. Forget the judges...
How many votes were available to the public, compared with those available to the Judges.
Every country has 12, 10, 8-1 points awarded by their judging panel and the same by the voting public.
There’s equal weighting, which means that some points are awarded based on artistic merit & politics and some points are awarded by the viewers.
So judges liked the UK to the tune of 300 points and Ukraine to 200.  Frankly, I don’t see what they saw in the U.K. entry.  The public liked the U.K. to the tune of 200 points and Ukraine at 400+, meaning that most countries (if not all) will have had them in the top two or three.
If anything I would say that the days of panel judges are the part of the show that is anachronistic and can go.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #27 on: 15 May, 2022, 02:33:53 pm »
Thinking ahead to next year, has the final been hosted by Moscow before now?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #28 on: 15 May, 2022, 03:04:29 pm »
10 acts sang in English (including Oz and teh UK obvs), Portugal sang some of their song in English and some in FOREIGN.  25 acts in the final.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #29 on: 15 May, 2022, 03:17:06 pm »
Thinking ahead to next year, has the final been hosted by Moscow before now?

Yes, in 2009.  See also Georgian entry disqualification and withdrawal.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #30 on: 15 May, 2022, 04:41:58 pm »
Apparently they were responsible for Jeux Sans Frontières , which our younger readers will probably be fortunate enough not to recognise.

Jeux Sans Frontières was the thing that immediately sprang to mind on reading Wowbagger's question, but I wasn't sure if they were responsible for it or not.

I loved that programme as a kid. I wish they would bring it back! The domestic version, It's A Knockout, always seemed a bit tame by comparison.
It's a Knockout was hilarious. JSF could be a bit serious in comparison – more about the sporting rivalry and less about the hilarity.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #31 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:22:59 am »
I really liked the German entry, and I though The Rasmus would have got more votes for Finland. 

I'll begrudgingly admit that, although the song was absolute toss, Sam Ryder gave a really good performance, and I can see why it scored well.

« Reply #32 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:57:30 am »
Genuine question: does Eurovision organise any other televisual feasts apart from its Song Contest? I can’t recall watching the programme since either Sandie Shore or Lulu graced our black and white screens, but I was under the impression that there were other events produced under their name.

Loads:

The BBC Proms (obviously not in the UK as the BBC do that)
Vienna New Year's Concert
Rockpalast Nacht (German weekly rock/metal program)
Papal Easter blessing
Summer Night Concert Schönbrunn (Vienna philharmonic annual summer concert)

Basically its a public service broadcasting network for mainly arts programs. They might not show up under the Eurovision banner s they will be broadcast bu local TV stations but that's what's making them available across Europe. Wikipedia says 15,000 transmission hours per year.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #33 on: 16 May, 2022, 12:51:12 pm »
Genuine question: does Eurovision organise any other televisual feasts apart from its Song Contest? I can’t recall watching the programme since either Sandie Shore or Lulu graced our black and white screens, but I was under the impression that there were other events produced under their name.

Loads:

The BBC Proms (obviously not in the UK as the BBC do that)
Vienna New Year's Concert
Rockpalast Nacht (German weekly rock/metal program)
Papal Easter blessing
Summer Night Concert Schönbrunn (Vienna philharmonic annual summer concert)

Basically its a public service broadcasting network for mainly arts programs. They might not show up under the Eurovision banner s they will be broadcast bu local TV stations but that's what's making them available across Europe. Wikipedia says 15,000 transmission hours per year.

And there's a long EBU history of exchanging raw news (and sport?) material, which will be edited into broadcasters' programmes without the Eurovision branding.

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #35 on: 16 May, 2022, 01:10:50 pm »

The Eurovision Raving Loony Contest?

NB: Above link may contain traces of 1975-vintage zeitgeist
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime