Author Topic: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own  (Read 24616 times)

Re: LEL things that don't need a thread of their own
« Reply #25 on: 02 August, 2022, 05:33:32 pm »
I spent years using the B7076 from Gretna to Abingdon on my annual trips north (as well as the parts on LEL's) but the surface was so bad I've modified the route to avoid as much as possible.  This year's LEL from Moffat onwards is great - tested this year  :thumbsup: 

Not relevant for LEL but there is also a nice alternative from the Lockerbie lorry park to Moffat on small lanes to the east of the B7076 going through Poldean.

EDIT:  Just noticed that this alternative IS the LEL 2022 route - excellent  :thumbsup:
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #26 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:47:04 pm »
Seeking local knowledge: is mosquito repellant warranted on LEL? Never been to Scotland in the summer, heard mixed reports. Thanks.

« Reply #27 on: 02 August, 2022, 10:52:02 pm »
Seeking local knowledge: is mosquito repellant warranted on LEL? Never been to Scotland in the summer, heard mixed reports. Thanks.

Not if you pedal quickly. Seriously though, I only found them an issue when I had to stop for a short mechanical….they are like little heat seeking missiles and find you immediately…I have never taken mosquito repellant on LEL though
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2022, 12:45:08 pm »

I didn’t use it on LEL 2013.  As long as you are moving (or strong winds) the midges are generally okay.  I do have a headnet I’ve deployed on Scottish audaxes when stopped to eat outside a shop. You can buy the latter most outdoor shops such as Cotswolds in Covent Garden for about £10.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #29 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:15:37 am »

I assumed it was a highlands thing, not a borders thing. I didn't have any issue when I did the Scottish loop of the mille pennines

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #30 on: 04 August, 2022, 01:35:02 pm »
Bag drops now packed and double checked.  Contents currently in my LEL 13 drop bags.  Barnard Castle for Dunfermline and Market Rasen for Malton.   Both well under the 2.5kg limit, but then I don't have any battery packs etc.

« Reply #31 on: 04 August, 2022, 02:36:37 pm »
With memories of wandering around PBP controls looking for my bike, I'm tossing an AirTag into the seat bag.

« Reply #32 on: 04 August, 2022, 03:03:58 pm »
I cannot get my head around this ride as I think I am going to really struggle through lack of motivation etc and probably give up when I pass close to my home after Hessle. But then I think, if I ride the first 600K as I would any other 600K, in 36 hours, I would be halfway between Brampton and Lockerbie as others have mentioned as part of their strategy, but that does not sound right, it seems to be to far for the time, but the maths says it is right and its what I have done in the past to complete "600s". As in theory then, I only have another "600" to ride, which would take a good bit longer due to tiredness and sleeping and then a "300" which in itself is just a days ride in 12 to 18 hours from past experience.

I think I am missing something somewhere. Maybe, its because I have never done a "600" that heads in one direction and is not a circular route so it appears a long way straight up the middle of England and to me, just seems not feasible.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2022, 03:28:32 pm »
I cannot get my head around this ride as I think I am going to really struggle through lack of motivation etc and probably give up when I pass close to my home after Hessle.

They need volunteers at Hessle still  :-\
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:17:13 pm »
Test load of all the things I want to carry on bike for LEL. All fitted and seat bag not bursting at the seams.  Last easy ride ahead of LEL this evening. All prep completed, now a couple of days of chilling, before five days of adventure commence.

« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:39:14 pm »
I’m wavering on the mudguards. They were a shoe in until being introduced to Weather Bagel (kudos to Zacklaws).

« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2022, 10:41:00 pm »
I’m still wavering on the mudguards. They were a shoe in until being introduced to Weather Bagel (kudos to Zacklaws).

I was wavering on mudguards, then I remembered how long it took to fit them and get them rattle free specifically for this event so I think I'm keeping them on now!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:19:31 pm »
Bag drop content packed in my LEL 13 bags. One less thing to do and makes it easy loading up LEL 22 bags at registration
But colours for 2022 are completely different to 2013 .. so you are then expecting us to use the control  name when every other bag is colour coded to get to the right place .. surely you are heading for disaster if i have understood your post
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #38 on: 04 August, 2022, 11:31:56 pm »
I read that as ‘I will put my prepacked past-LEL bags into the current-LEL bags, knowing that the contents will fit.’
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2022, 07:44:05 am »

I assumed it was a highlands thing, not a borders thing. I didn't have any issue when I did the Scottish loop of the mille pennines

Oh yes! There will be midges in the Borders, salivating and sharpening their teeth for soft southern flesh, as I type ...

« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2022, 08:35:47 am »

Bag drop content packed in my LEL 13 bags. One less thing to do and makes it easy loading up LEL 22 bags at registration
But colours for 2022 are completely different to 2013 .. so you are then expecting us to use the control  name when every other bag is colour coded to get to the right place .. surely you are heading for disaster if i have understood your post

No, you have misunderstood my post.

Clearly I am going to move the contents from my LEL 13 bags to my LEL 22 bags. That is what loading up my LEL 22 bags at registration means. 

The LEL 13 bags were used to ensure the contents will fit (dimensions as well as weight) the LEL 22 bags as I understand the bags will be the same size give or take a small percentage.  My LEL 13 Market Rasen bag contents go into my LEL 22 Malton bag, my LEL 13 Barnard Castle bag contents go into my LEL 22 Dunfermline bag.

The now empty LEL 13 bags will come home with me from registration.

I think you have been on the LEL Facebook group too long, to even consider that I meant I’d just chuck my LEL 13 bags into the mix, particularly with one for a control that hasn’t been used since 2013, and expect them to appear at my LEL 22 bag drop locations. Luckily I haven’t been on FB for some years, and am no longer exposed to that.

« Reply #41 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:21:21 am »
Like this? To be transferred to 2022 bags tomorrow

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j6ZFm1BGwGgLDEh19
#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #42 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:24:13 am »

Edd

« Reply #43 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:36:46 am »
What are you putting in your bags? Mine are essentially socks, shorts and cycle top, maybe a pack of cereal bars to transfer in

« Reply #44 on: 05 August, 2022, 09:58:24 am »
Brampton drop:
Shorts x2
Jersey x2
Socks
10,000mah powerpack
Spare GPS
Maltodextrin 400g
Inner tube

Nearly on 2.5kg

« Reply #45 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:12:01 am »
I’m on recumbent so no cycling specific clothing.

Malton (2 visits)

10 x disposable FFP2 masks split into bags of 4 and 6 to match control distribution between my drops
2 x buff
2 x Short sleeve merino base
2 x over the knee Capri pants
1 x shorts & 1 x knee coolers as looking like return could be hot from fens onwards. If it doesn’t materialise I’ll wear the Capri pants in preference.
2 x boxer shorts
2 x merino socks
1 x towel
2 x 250g of Maltodextrin in dry bags. One to take north and one to take south
1 x 406 inner tube
1 x 622 inner tube
1 x gear cable
1 x spare bar end friction shifter
Plastic bag for used kit

Comes to 1900g including bag

Dunfermline (1 visit)

5 x disposable FFP2 masks
1 x buff
1 x short sleeve base
1 x over the knee Capri pants
1 x boxer shorts
1 x merino socks
1 x towel
1 x 250g Maltodextrin in dry bag.
1 x gear cable
1 x 406 inner tube
1 x 622 inner tube
Plastic bag for used kit

Weight comes to 1022g including bag.

Toiletries including toothbrush and paste will be on bike, as well as my cold and poor weather gear. 

I have no charging requirements as dynamo front light, eTrex using AA batteries of which I’ll have four pairs with me, and I'm taking my switched off dumb phone not smart phone for emergencies.

I generally patch tubes if I can, but if I’ve had a mare and also gone through spare tubes on bike I should be able to replace roughly every 24-30 hours max. I also have a spare gear cable on bike, and I think it unlikely I’ll need to pick up more spares at bag drop. But they are there if necessary.

« Reply #46 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:50:36 am »
I too will be running a dynamo front light and with an etrex running on AA batteries. My rear light is also powered by AA batteries.
The powerpack is to charge my phone and to charge my hired SPOT tracker. The tracker is only rated up to 5 days max per charge so will need a top-up as I'm a full value rider.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #47 on: 05 August, 2022, 01:48:07 pm »
Good luck everyone whether you're coming from  Essex or Eritrea.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #48 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:28:00 pm »
Pretty sure I have stuff that still needs washing for the bag drops. My riding group informed me last night I need to retire a pair of shorts, hopefully I still have enough to fill the drop bags.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #49 on: 05 August, 2022, 02:35:09 pm »
I too will be running a dynamo front light and with an etrex running on AA batteries. My rear light is also powered by AA batteries.
The powerpack is to charge my phone and to charge my hired SPOT tracker. The tracker is only rated up to 5 days max per charge so will need a top-up as I'm a full value rider.

Ah, I’m hiring the 7 day tracker