Author Topic: Rider skills quiz  (Read 4049 times)

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Rider skills quiz
« on: 16 May, 2022, 08:16:05 pm »
I've put together a short 'theory test' for riders in my cycling group, who are usually used to riding around London but don't always have prior experience on longer countryside rides. The questions aim to cover the most common hazards and the answers are my take on pragmatic best practice, rather than absolute rules.

If anyone would like to provide feedback or adapt it for their own use I would appreciate it :) I will probably add some photos later to illustrate some of the hazards.

Click here to try it out: https://forms.gle/Uxd141eWfSNJFkJz9
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Rider skills quiz
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:20:47 pm »
I'm not sure about the Elon Musk solution to crossing busy roads...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:25:58 pm »
Well I got some wrong...

Question 2, I also included the paint being chipped. Why? cos on a steel framed bike, a chip may mean rust, and rust could lead to failure. Checking general structural integrity is important.

Question about parking. I ticked all of them. Instagram being a proxy for tweeting "you park like an arsehole" and gestures, well have you seen how badly people park? how can you not make rude gestures at drivers?

When it's dark. I ticked the top 3. Apparently hearing owls is not important to you...

Narrow road I got only 1 of 2. I said signal to oncoming drivers. I didn't say pull over.

When it rains, I again ticked all 4. More ducks on the road, yes actually. More wildlife. This can be a hazard. On a longer ride getting your snacks wet can lead to a disaster if you bonk. Keep your food dry!

Falling off, again, I said all 4. It's easy to get distracted by big road... or turn too fast cos you realise you;re going past a pub...

Why shouldn't I scream on descents?

The ford question I got wrong. I said wait for a car. Personally I'd avoid the ford entirely. I don't wanna repack my bearings...

Apparently grade seperated infra is not the only solution to busy roads, who knew...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:26:22 pm »
I'm not sure about the Elon Musk solution to crossing busy roads...

I interpreted that as ride in a country with proper infra...

J
--

« Reply #4 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:48:44 pm »
Crossing a busy road

You have dig a tunnel as a correct answer. 

Seriously, you turn up at a busy road and your solution is to start digging! Meanwhile you mark use a pedestrian crossing if available as incorrect?  You get off your bike, walk (as now a pedestrian) across the pedestrian crossing, then get back on once off crossing on other side of the road.

How should you approach parked cars?

Firstly car doors on modern cars can exceed 1m when fully open.
Secondly if your position is 1m from a car with shorter doors then your handlebars may still hit a door that is opened
Thirdly if passing parked cars with space, but the road is wide enough you are still on the left of the road, then you still have priority.  Giving way is no different than saying that if a homicidal driver is on the wrong side of the road heading towards you, be prepared as the vulnerable party to take avoiding action.   

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:50:38 pm »
Dig a tunnel?

WTF?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:56:26 pm »
Tunnel - sorry I meant that to be the 'obvious' incorrect answer  :facepalm:, should be fixed now

Ford/flood - on reflection these are different situations because a ford usually has a warning sign (and can even be dry) whereas a flood is something you might come across unexpectedly. Sometimes there is no easy diversion and going through is the least worst option. I've changed it to refer to flood only 

Thanks all useful  :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2022, 08:58:19 pm »
Tunnel - sorry I meant that to be the 'obvious' incorrect answer  :facepalm:, should be fixed now

Ford/flood - on reflection these are different situations because a ford usually has a warning sign (and can even be dry) whereas a flood is something you might come across unexpectedly. Sometimes there is no easy diversion and going through is the least worst option. I've changed it to refer to flood only 

Thanks all useful  :thumbsup:

I would never advise anyone to ride through flood water. You just don't know what's under the water.

J
--

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:09:09 pm »
On the narrow road one, I'd certainly be prepared to dive into the hedge if the oncoming motorist was a weapons grade eejit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2022, 09:58:05 pm »
I suspect you assumed the respondents have gears (can't keep the pedals level on a fixie.
& I wouldn't wait for a car, it could be some time.

I'm curious why using a phone might make you fall off (aiui my son uses his for satnav stuff) or do you mean that making (? answering) a phone call is a degree more fiddly than, say, having a drink/snack/putting your gloves on etc?
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2022, 10:57:24 pm »
On the narrow road one, I'd certainly be prepared to dive into the hedge if the oncoming motorist was a weapons grade eejit.

This ^^^^
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 16 May, 2022, 11:06:42 pm »
The only mistakes I made were not realising that some answers required multiple answers.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #12 on: 16 May, 2022, 11:13:00 pm »
I opted for "dive into the hedge" too.... Based on experience

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2022, 07:30:54 am »

Me too.

I'm not sure what signal could be used to an oncoming driver. A friendly thank you gesture if they have stopped or slowed, but that isn't a signal.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2022, 09:03:09 am »
You need to mark the number of answers to be chosen on "What should you do on all rides?"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2022, 09:16:19 am »
On the ford I put "ride through as fast as possible".

A bit of momentum can save you from wet feet.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2022, 10:01:50 am »

Me too.

I'm not sure what signal could be used to an oncoming driver. A friendly thank you gesture if they have stopped or slowed, but that isn't a signal.
Extended middle finger as they zoom past with inches to spare?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2022, 11:44:32 am »

Me too.

I occasionally do a sort of <stop> <me> <there> to tell oncoming drivers of large vehicles that if they wait I'll pull in in a convenient gap on the wrong side of the road rather than having to squeeze past.  I wouldn't want to do something so unintuitive without communicating my intention first.  That's well into the realms of gesture rather than traffic signals though.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2022, 01:16:45 pm »
I always keep an eye open for extra ducks when it's raining. If it's not rain, it's midges, so seeing isn't my concern.

Ditto on the hedge. And I ride fixed, so I couldn't keep my pedals level if I wanted to.

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2022, 02:42:00 pm »

I did, too (not that I practice what I preach, because I'm a wimp and normally get off and walk if possible ;)).

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2022, 02:58:47 pm »

I did, too (not that I practice what I preach, because I'm a wimp and normally get off and walk if possible ;)).

Flood, hammer it in, weight back and get ready to lift the front wheel if you feel it dropping #MTBer
Ford, chicken out and walk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2022, 03:52:16 pm »
An old CTC guy gave me the valuable advice that muddy floodwater can conceal big potholes.  So, ride as if there is a big pothole coming up, unless you can see the bottom.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2022, 04:21:02 pm »
Exactly what happened to me.  Hit a Ford at speed and destroyed the forks in a deep hidden pothole.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #23 on: 17 May, 2022, 04:55:10 pm »
Fords should be treated as though the bottom is coated in ice.  A know a few who have come off and broken hips riding through fords.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #24 on: 17 May, 2022, 06:20:58 pm »
Regarding "How should you descend on a long or steep hill?" I would suggest adding "with your hands in the drops with and two fingers on each brake lever".

There's nothing about group riding, I would point out the danger of overlapping wheels.