Author Topic: What was the first film you watched ? ETA at the Cinema  (Read 3828 times)

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
Re: What was the first film you watched ? ETA at the Cinema
« Reply #50 on: 26 May, 2022, 10:29:44 pm »
Nothing seems to burn down anymore, not like the good old days!

The Studio 6 and 7, opposite the Odeon in Lewisham was demolished and used as parking. You wouldn't imagine the arson attack on the attendant's booth to have been particularly spectacular, but the fact that it seemed to be used as a propane storage facility livened things up.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

« Reply #51 on: 26 May, 2022, 10:52:57 pm »
Double bill of Gregory's Girl and Chariots of Fire.

Looking at the release dates it's possible it was a birthday treat to go to the pictures with my parents (I think they wanted to see CofF), though as a soon-to-be 7 year old I didn't know what to make of GG. I see it's now got a 12 rating - don't think they existed back then.

The cinema closed down a few weeks later to be reincarnated as a snooker hall, so that was my only trip to the flicks in the town where I was brought up.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #52 on: 27 May, 2022, 12:25:58 am »
st custards assembly hall was still there in 2013 when I was a volunteer at the Pocklington control on LEL.  The Ritz - the town's sticky-floored fleapit of a cinema – got turned into a slot-machine museum by Max Gresham's dad circa 1983 and closed in 1994, but was subsequently reborn as the Arts Centre, which is still going as a cinema/theatre/music/comedy venue.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #53 on: 27 May, 2022, 08:09:40 am »
Do any of the cinemas where we saw our first films still exist?

The Astoria in Belfast was knocked down in 1974 and replaced by a telephone exchange.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #54 on: 27 May, 2022, 08:24:31 am »
I'm another "Jungle Book" I think at the Gaumont in Reading.  Which is now a church.

I was very excited when the curtains opened to show the adverts, and then opened even wider when the actual film started. I remember being entranced by the moving patterns made by the cigarette smoke interacting on the light from the projector.  All the smokers had to sit on the left hand side of the enormous single screen cinema.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

ian

« Reply #55 on: 27 May, 2022, 09:19:52 am »
Do any of the cinemas where we saw our first films still exist?

As mentioned, the ABC (I think) in Heanor (it's a place, I didn't make it up) is now a block of those typically cheerless prison-windowed fuckhutches. A break I suppose from the metastasizing housing estates and retail parks that have claimed much else of my childhood. At least my grandparent's council house is still there, though the tidy gardens etc. have gone, and the estate now looks like a manky car scrapyard.

« Reply #56 on: 25 June, 2022, 09:28:22 pm »
First I can recall was Battle of Britain  at the ABC in Carlisle, was taken to see it by my dad.  Remember the Germans googles filling up with blood! 

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #57 on: 26 June, 2022, 04:50:57 pm »
The Comancheros starring John Wayne at the New Coronet, Didcot 1962-ish - with my dad who was a big JW fan. He fell asleep and started snoring loudly but woke up before the crowd turned on him - his upper dentures falling out saved him! I shrank and hid on the floor.