Author Topic: Chilli plants  (Read 3753 times)

Chilli plants
« on: 31 May, 2022, 02:16:41 pm »
Having grown F1 Longhorn chilli plants for the 1st time last year, which had loads of chillies, but no heat whatsoever; I planted some seeds from a fresh supermarket chilli with a nice kick, and have a few plants doing well.  Also a lone chocolate habanero plant, which ooi I'm hoping will produce some chillies.

Anyone else growing chilli plants this year?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Chilli plants
« Reply #1 on: 31 May, 2022, 05:17:23 pm »
Yes, lemon drop, from Peru an Kristin a hot yellow one
Though not doing very well this year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2022, 11:05:51 pm »
Chocolate Habanero coming along after slow start - flowering atm.  Be interesting to see what '425000 - 570000' on the scoville tastes like...  :D

« Reply #3 on: 22 August, 2022, 09:37:55 am »
Last year we grew some but they were rubbish hardly any chillies at all. This year Mrs Pcolbeck tried different seeds and two varieties. They have done brilliantly in the green house loads of chillies.
Not tried them yet as we don't really cook with them in the summer, they are all going in the freezer. I have no idea what variety they were though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4 on: 08 September, 2022, 11:52:36 am »
Largest Chocolate Habanero atm, & other anonymous chilli.  I'll be taking these two pot plants into the house to over-winter when it gets cold; which will probably be when a lot of the chillies are still developing.

PXL_Choc_Habanero by a oxon, on Flickr

PXL_unknown-hot-chilli by a oxon, on Flickr

« Reply #5 on: 08 September, 2022, 11:59:23 am »
Mine are just starting to fruit, can't put back into cold frame as too short. May have to bring into the house for window ledge

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 20 September, 2022, 06:47:14 am »
Mine were very slow to start this year, now about three foot tall and only just starting to fruit, so either need to frost protect the greenhouse or bring them in, may do both as a trial.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens