Author Topic: Missed by inches, driver sent a sodding advisory letter  (Read 5615 times)

Missed by inches, driver sent a sodding advisory letter
« on: 11 June, 2022, 02:20:14 am »
This driver missed me by inches and when I followed up the complaint via Operation Crackdown Sussex I was told an advisory letter had been sent, end of. How much closer does a driver have to get before action is taken by the police.

Oh pretty please driver don't drive so close to cyclists!! Your forgiven, now go on your way and we'll forget all about it.

What the hell was the point of the recent change to the law requiring drivers to give vulnerable road users like cyclists a 1.5M gap. And then doing nothing about it when it's not followed. I haven't seen any change whatsoever on my commute since this law was passed. Yes I'm getting more space from those who are and were careful anyway, but I'm still getting the same number of close passes from those who aren't. Go figure.

This (link below) was a very close pass where the vehicle missed me by inches and nearly clipped the kerb about 50 meters further on! Watch the video? What was the point of the law change earlier on this year if the 1.5M rule when passing cyclists is blatantly ignored by some drivers and all they get is an advisory. How many advisories need to be sent to a driver before action is taken? I bet nobody monitors that. Incidentally this was a company van so was the company approached and the driver even identified? I bet not.

As far as I'm concerned until drivers are fined/awarded points nothing will change on the roads.

https://youtu.be/k3dsuLyJWGc

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: Missed by inches, driver sent a sodding advisory letter
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2022, 06:08:00 am »
I could show you similar from every ride, such as the car that went past me with an empty opposite lane without deviating one iota from their line, within a foot of me. I agree with you 100%, the problem as I see it is the fuzzy status of the Highway Code as a kind of quasi law/best practice with judgement around enforcement.  I've reported several incident to Cambs police, and you get notified that action was taken or not, but not what that was.  I'm hoping like you that someone is keeping track of repeat reports and that there will be escalation.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #2 on: 11 June, 2022, 10:20:50 am »
Application of the new HC is really patchy. There are some forces that would have taken that (I believe, based on other threads in other places) as reason enough to prosecute.

If it irks you enough write to your MP, write to the local police head and complain.

Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 June, 2022, 12:30:19 pm »
AIUI the highway code changes were just that.  The underlying laws remain unchanged, so it's unsurprising that enforcement won't have changed.

« Reply #4 on: 11 June, 2022, 12:43:12 pm »
Application of the new HC is really patchy. There are some forces that would have taken that (I believe, based on other threads in other places) as reason enough to prosecute.

If it irks you enough write to your MP, write to the local police head and complain.

Yea I'm a bit peeved off by the police response. I don't believe the follow-up by the police to be at all adequate. We as cyclists need to kick up a fuss and I know we traditionally don't, we (my cycling group) sit on our asses and moan or do nothing and accept it. Otherwise, we will not raise awareness amongst those drivers who need to be targeted. The mindset needs to change. Being passive and believing the police & law have our backs isn't going to work as we've seen over the years.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 11 June, 2022, 01:52:23 pm »
Send a link to the footage to the Board of Stannah. Particularly the directors responsible for Health and Safety, Transport and Corporate Social Responsibility.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #6 on: 11 June, 2022, 02:27:44 pm »
Had a close pass a few weeks ago. Driver has had a notification of intention to prosecute and it’s been referred to the courts.

Seems there is an inconsistent approach.

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2022, 10:46:02 pm »
I'll be pushing for more than an advisory, the driver needs re-educating at the least.

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:00:34 pm »
Doing it right in wales
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-61815609
A motorist has hit out at what he calls an "appalling" fine after being ordered to pay more than £1,800 for passing a cyclist too closely.
Mr Humphreys, of Pontyclun, Rhondda Cynon Taf, had refused to attend a course or pay a fixed penalty notice.
The warehouse boss was then prosecuted at Cardiff Magistrates Court for driving without due care and attention and ordered to pay £1,887 in a fine and costs, and received four points on his licence.
Mr Humphreys, said: "The fine is absolutely appalling. I am 77 years of age and the last fine I had was 35 to 40 years ago.
Learning point - arguing the toss when you're bang to rights can cost you.  Whether you are 77 or not.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:10:22 pm »
Mr Humphreys is a self-entitled twat, as evidenced by the fact of his driving an Audi wankpanzer and his blank refusal to accept that he did anything wrong.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2022, 11:26:50 pm »
The Maire has it right. A twat-badger of Audi proportions.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #11 on: 16 June, 2022, 08:27:33 am »
Some local cyclists got in a heated altercation at the weekend which led to said motorist circling back to hurl a full can of coke at them.
So say the club liaised with BC and we're advised not to bother reporting it as TVP would 'do nothing' about it anyway.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 16 June, 2022, 01:05:14 pm »
The Maire has it right. A twat-badger of Audi proportions.

I'm surprised he didn't cite Magna Carta.

« Reply #13 on: 20 June, 2022, 09:57:46 am »
Peat, I have had experience of reporting an incident to TVP, admittedly via 999, when a vehicle was driven at me to force me to stop.

The issue started when I was at the head of a queue of traffic at ~20mph, narrow two lane road, right hand bend and a stream of oncoming traffic prevented an overtake until just before the approach to a mini roundabout when the range rover behind decided he just had to be ahead. Unfortunately for him there was a traffic island in the centre of the road prior to the roundabout and he couldn't complete his overtake before reaching the obstruction, I ended up reminding him of my presence by tapping the rear passenger door window with my knuckle. Unfortunately this resulted in an irate driver behind me as I stopped for the roundabout, lots of revs and an inkling of what was coming meant I went wide on the roundabout to go straight on and then E-stopped as a bonnet appeared in front of me and against the curb. Cue open window, lots of threats in my direction etc. these stopped when two kind lady pedestrians volunteered they had seen everything and were witnesses so he drove off.

A phone call the next day and an emailed statement, thank you to the officers on CC for the template format, resulted in an attempt to visit the driver at the registered keepers address. When that failed a marker was placed on the Police National Computer and I suspect he got tugged by an ANPR equipped traffic car. All I do know is that on a latter date I passed the same vehicle waiting to emerge from my left and follow me. The subsequent overtake was exemplary, so I think the message had got through.

« Reply #14 on: 22 June, 2022, 08:27:08 pm »
That's encouraging to hear, Matthew. Thanks.

« Reply #15 on: 23 June, 2022, 09:39:42 am »
It was a few years back so hopefully they haven't changed too much.

« Reply #16 on: 01 July, 2022, 06:11:55 pm »
One of the things that is conspicuous about these encounters is the number of Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc that are involved. Not only do these people not care about the safety of vulnerable road users, they don't give a toss about the planet and the poor souls who are already suffering the awful consequences of climate change as witnessed by the tragic floods in Bangladesh and India at the moment.

« Reply #17 on: 02 July, 2022, 12:13:53 pm »
I imagine a repeat offence will escalate to the et level up, speed awareness ...

Bit like reporting a pothole, it starts ball rolling

I reported one and police said they would take action, did not even say what action

« Reply #18 on: 02 July, 2022, 06:54:36 pm »
One of the things that is conspicuous about these encounters is the number of Range Rovers, Audis, BMWs etc that are involved. Not only do these people not care about the safety of vulnerable road users, they don't give a toss about the planet and the poor souls who are already suffering the awful consequences of climate change as witnessed by the tragic floods in Bangladesh and India at the moment.
I'm not convinced the owners of said motor vehicles are the sole people responsible for climate change
(as witnessed by the tragic floods in Bangladesh and India at the moment). I'm sure you don't have to 
look too hard to find more culpable culprits you could apportion blame for the crisis.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 02 July, 2022, 08:16:05 pm »
I think that if, in full cognisance of the crises facing the world, your chosen response is to buy an oversize suburban vanity wank tank, then you are worse than complicit. We should start burning the fucking things.

« Reply #20 on: 02 July, 2022, 08:27:11 pm »
Bit like reporting a pothole, it starts ball rolling

I reported one and police said they would take action, did not even say what action

What action were they going to take against the pot hole?

« Reply #21 on: 02 July, 2022, 09:48:02 pm »
I think that if, in full cognisance of the crises facing the world, your chosen response is to buy an oversize suburban vanity wank tank, then you are worse than complicit. We should start burning the fucking things.
What about people taking trips by aeroplane? Can you criticise them too, as well as airlines? :demon:

« Reply #22 on: 02 July, 2022, 10:03:39 pm »
Generally speaking, yes.

« Reply #23 on: 03 July, 2022, 12:40:23 am »
What about people taking trips by aeroplane? Can you criticise them too, as well as airlines? :demon:
I need to get from A to B in the UK - I have many choices that don't involve a car - but even if I *do* use a car I am making a clear choice for worst case scenario by driving a wankerpanzer when I could not.
When I fly to the US to see my mother for her 80th birthday my choices are to fly or ... ?  Seriously, I would love not to fly as I fucking hate it, but the QE2 with two kids would cost I think over 10k return trip (oh, and an additional week of travel, which is approx another 1.5k in earning time for median UK earners).
You can't compare the two.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24 on: 03 July, 2022, 07:54:47 am »
I need to get from A to B in the UK - I have many choices that don't involve a car - but even if I *do* use a car I am making a clear choice for worst case scenario by driving a wankerpanzer when I could not.
When I fly to the US to see my mother for her 80th birthday my choices are to fly or ... ?  Seriously, I would love not to fly as I fucking hate it, but the QE2 with two kids would cost I think over 10k return trip (oh, and an additional week of travel, which is approx another 1.5k in earning time for median UK earners).
You can't compare the two.

Of course you can compare the two, you've just done exactly that and made a choice.

I ended up driving into London during the rail strikes, not my first choice, but I was told I had to be there.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens