Author Topic: Light engineering / machining workshop W London?  (Read 766 times)

Light engineering / machining workshop W London?
« on: 14 June, 2022, 09:10:12 am »
Hi all

I need to modify a small part - I need 1mm taken off the side of an alloy spacer about 10cm long. The 1mm needs to be machined flat and parallel with the opposite side.

I'm in TW1 - does anyone know of a small workshop somewhere that might do this small job?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Light engineering / machining workshop W London?
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2022, 01:17:38 pm »
Is it a job for a lathe?  A few people on here have them.  I need 1/16"* taking off a bronze bush, as it happens.  Not the same ones as a YACFer kindly did for me last year, which are now in service.

*Moultons are relentlessly imperial
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2022, 01:42:53 pm »
Hi all

I need to modify a small part - I need 1mm taken off the side of an alloy spacer about 10cm long. The 1mm needs to be machined flat and parallel with the opposite side.

I'm in TW1 - does anyone know of a small workshop somewhere that might do this small job?

Sounds like a job for a milling machine, set up and clamping the work piece will take longer than the machining. There are milling adaptors available for use with lathes also.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2022, 01:55:31 pm »
Is it a job for a lathe?  A few people on here have them.  I need 1/16"* taking off a bronze bush, as it happens.  Not the same ones as a YACFer kindly did for me last year, which are now in service.

*Moultons are relentlessly imperial
Most "metric" sizes on bikes are conversions from imperial. Mostly down to 1/16" (1.6mm) resolution, occasionally 1/32" or better, applies to anything made from or interfacing with tubes.