Author Topic: Recommendations for a 2 season bag  (Read 2677 times)

Recommendations for a 2 season bag
« on: 25 June, 2022, 08:53:04 am »
I’m in the market for a new 2 season sleeping bag, any recommendations, particularly for bags that are a little bit more roomy would be most appreciated.

With respect to down vs synthetic I have previously always used synthetic bags due the better moisture handling ability, should I maybe give a down bag a try this time?

Re: Recommendations for a 2 season bag
« Reply #1 on: 25 June, 2022, 02:24:54 pm »
Lots of down nowadays is treated to be water repellent, so it should handle moisture better than the older down bags. Lots of better sleeping bags are made with a Pertex or other highly water repellent fabric, which would further enhance the moisture handling capabilities of the bag. My own observation is that bags with a higher fill power down seem to outlast the cheaper stuff, so you really do get what you pay for.

« Reply #2 on: 25 June, 2022, 03:10:32 pm »
If it's two season use and you want more room, consider a quilt.  Also, think of the sleep system as a whole rather than the parts. So a better mat requires less of a bag/quilt. I find it harder to get it right in the Summer than when it's cold and a quilt makes regulating temperature easier, you simply have more body uncovered.  I've never had any qualms about using down, it just needs a little care, the newer Hydrophobic down, as mentioned above, make it even easier.  However, the synthetics have also improved in the last few years, so I wouldn't rule either out. Lastly - Two seasons, you're not going to freeze if it goes wrong.

« Reply #3 on: 25 June, 2022, 03:14:25 pm »
Snugpak have some options for extra wide sleeping bags. Maybe not the smallest pack size, but a 2 season bag shouldn't be too big.

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2022, 03:24:22 pm »
Kim reviewed a rectangular one the other day, which might be worth a look if you're after more room than a standard mummy: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=123302.0

« Reply #5 on: 26 June, 2022, 09:45:24 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I’m currently giving serious thought to hitting buy on a Rab Solar Eco 1 synthetic bag.