Author Topic: Men's Tour de France 2022  (Read 18555 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Men's Tour de France 2022
« Reply #225 on: 22 July, 2022, 06:19:47 pm »
Had to laugh at Pogačar joining in the sprint today and nicking five seconds back :D

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #226 on: 22 July, 2022, 08:09:42 pm »
Quote from: mzjo
Perhaps they could give up thé high altitude gravel stuff and lay on a few full mud and sand stages. That might change thé odds a bit!

Hurrah.  Sands of dooooom.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #227 on: 22 July, 2022, 11:45:13 pm »
For some reason the ASO took a dim view of a muddy stage in 2019, to the point where they actually stopped it :jurek: You'd have been able to hear Van Aert begging to be allowed to keep going if he hadn’t already crashed out during the ITT.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #228 on: 23 July, 2022, 03:34:31 pm »
Helluva lot less unsealed chips on the TT route than on our bloody roads just now.  >:( >:( >:(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #229 on: 23 July, 2022, 03:36:43 pm »
Apart from that, WvA looks more as if he's out for a Sunday trundle rather than setting best intermediate time so far. Looks. I suppose it's the big gear that does it.

« Reply #230 on: 23 July, 2022, 04:04:20 pm »
Apparently some of the riders may have had Di2 mechs slipping into close down 'crash mode' due to road surface vibration...  Didn't know that was a thing.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #231 on: 23 July, 2022, 04:06:51 pm »
If that were the case they wouldn't work at all around here.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #232 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:23:42 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #233 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:27:28 pm »
Go on then Flatus, give us your worst.

« Reply #234 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:34:46 pm »
(click to show/hide)

He looked to misread the trajectory completely, although there was talk on the Fr2 commentary that he had been told G wasn't going to get then win and had briefly stopped concentrating. They also reckoned that he backed off a long way in the final stretch to leave the win to WVA. What will they do tomorrow, throw a flanker to give the Champs to Laporte?

Can anyone tell me how/if that Colnago tt bike is UCI legal? It seemed to me to be stretching the diamond frame definition just a bit with the non-existant seat stays, not to mention the void-filling aerodynamic aid water bottle. If you cut out the top tube the result is remarkably close to Mig's banned Pinarello tt bike (the monocoque one)!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #235 on: 23 July, 2022, 05:56:32 pm »
Crikey! Ewan didn’t come last, though he's still nearly five minutes behind in the Lanterne Rouge

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #236 on: 23 July, 2022, 06:06:54 pm »
Can anyone tell me how/if that Colnago tt bike is UCI legal? It seemed to me to be stretching the diamond frame definition just a bit with the non-existant seat stays, not to mention the void-filling aerodynamic aid water bottle. If you cut out the top tube the result is remarkably close to Mig's banned Pinarello tt bike (the monocoque one)!

The strategic water bottle trick is nothing new, Cervelo among others have been doing it for years. 

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #237 on: 23 July, 2022, 06:13:25 pm »
Campag were making æro water bottles in the 1980s; they now appear to be fetching silly money on eBay.

« Reply #238 on: 23 July, 2022, 07:33:02 pm »

The strategic water bottle trick is nothing new, Cervelo among others have been doing it for years.
Today's Jumbo Cervelos had a strategically placed aerodynamic water bottle but it was not integrated into the frame like the Colnago. I notice that Pog drank from his while under starter's orders before latching it back into place - it was that that drew my attention. Did he have to drink from it to prove it was a water bottle and not simply an aerodynamic aid? (aerodynamicade anyone?) Do the UCI inspect frames without the presence of water bottles? And when does a seat stay cease to be a seat stay and become simply a supplementary chainstay? I am going to have to download the latest UCI rules and give myself a headache trying to understand them!
Campag were making æro water bottles in the 1980s; they now appear to be fetching silly money on eBay.
I did indeed have an Elite aero bottle and cage; it may indeed still be lurking in a far and dark corner of the garage, if I haven't thrown it out. I think they were made common as standard fitting on those oval tubed bikes (Lambert?) where the aero saving was more in gallons of petrol while it was on the car roof than the watts saved by pedalling the beast!

« Reply #239 on: 23 July, 2022, 07:45:33 pm »
aerodynamicade - brilliant!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #240 on: 23 July, 2022, 08:47:55 pm »
T Pogačar's TT bike:

Thare orter b a lor aganst it by Mr Larrington, on Flickr

They should’ve put some hockey tape over that hole on the chainset too.

Additional: just learned that Jumbo Visma's Nathan van Hooydonck was a DNS today because “family circumstances”.  Imagine flogging round nineteen stages as a lowly serf, getting to with 25 miles of Paris and then that happens.  Poor bugger.

« Reply #241 on: 24 July, 2022, 07:59:47 pm »
Forgivable heat of the moment comment from Jonas?  "It's incredible, I've finally won the Tour de France".  He's 25 and has ridden it...twice!  Possibly it refers to the length of time in yellow, waiting for Pogacar to take over.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #242 on: 24 July, 2022, 10:51:09 pm »
Apparently some of the riders may have had Di2 mechs slipping into close down 'crash mode' due to road surface vibration...  Didn't know that was a thing.
Bissiger fell out of contention in the ITT due to "crash mode".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #243 on: 25 July, 2022, 11:28:02 am »
Did they run into similar problems on stage 5, or use bikes with old-skool analogue gears?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #244 on: 25 July, 2022, 01:04:14 pm »
I thought Bissenger's problems eventually turned out to be with his radio rather than his DI2?

« Reply #245 on: 25 July, 2022, 03:13:19 pm »
Fastest tour ever.

As Brailsford said, 'one day clean athletes will ride faster than doped ones'.   ;)

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #246 on: 25 July, 2022, 03:29:25 pm »
Bissiger fell out of contention in the ITT due to "crash mode".
My Di2 has entered crash mode twice - once on the A12 cyclepath, the dropped kerbs are bad in places. The other time was a genuine "event" that launched the bike 20m. Rear mech is still in use with the deep scratches coloured in by paint pen and the shadow linkage straightened.

« Reply #247 on: 17 August, 2022, 08:55:50 pm »
Nairo Quintana has been DQ'd from this year's Tour, gaining the dubious honour of being the first pro cyclist to be pinged for using the opiod painkiller tramadol after it was banned for in-competition use by the UCI due to its side-effects.

Analysis of two blood samples from the 32-year-old showed the presence of banned drug tramadol.

Quintana has now been stripped of his overall sixth-place finish, but has 10 days to appeal against the decision.

As it is a first offence by Quintana, he is still eligible to participate in competition.

Using tramadol is an offence only under the UCI medical rules because of the side-effects which include dizziness, drowsiness and loss of attention.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/62580517

ETA: The statement from the UCI says that blood samples provided on July 8th and 13th tested positive for tramadol and metabolites thereof.

https://www.uci.org/pressrelease/uci-statement-concerning-nairo-quintana-rojas/7DIAQXAGCJPfb3Axi6BW3W
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #248 on: 17 August, 2022, 09:01:15 pm »
Nairo Quintana has been DQ'd from this year's Tour, gaining the dubious honour of being the first pro cyclist to be pinged for using the opiod painkiller tramadol after it was banned by the UCI.

Analysis of two blood samples from the 32-year-old showed the presence of banned drug tramadol.

Quintana has now been stripped of his overall sixth-place finish, but has 10 days to appeal against the decision.

As it is a first offence by Quintana, he is still eligible to participate in competition.

Using tramadol is an offence only under the UCI medical rules because of the side-effects which include dizziness, drowsiness and loss of attention.

I wonder whether it was given under the supervision of the team doctor?

« Reply #249 on: 18 August, 2022, 08:12:47 am »
Big discussion of this in the Lanterne Rouge podcast. One of those was the day that Quintana was brilliant up the Granon.
Also, not an actual "doping violation", so he gets disqualified from the tour, but is not banned at all. Strange rule.