Author Topic: Ride to Istanbul  (Read 1554 times)

JJ

Ride to Istanbul
« on: 01 July, 2022, 12:57:53 pm »
I have always had a plan to do some adventure with each of my four kids after they take their GCSEs.  With my eldest, David, we went and rode around in the Pyrenees, and then up the Tourmalet in the dark to watch the Tour de France come through.  That remains a wonderful memory.  My daughter preferred to go off and do other things with her mates - fair enough.  Now it's time for #3, George.

When we were discussing it, I mentioned that one day I'd like to ride to Istanbul and he absolutely latched onto it, so that's what we're doing.
We'll do it in memory of his big brother and in aid of CCLG, a lesser known cancer research charity that has become very dear to our hearts.

If anyone would like to sponsor us, we're here https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/georgeandjohnsride?utm_source=Sharethis&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=georgeandjohnsride&utm_campaign=pfp-email&utm_term=72fe96d09de44857a735afbb436df1cc. and if anyone is interested in our progress, we'll try to put updates here https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeandJohnsRidetoIstanbul/

It's been a while since I did a big ride, and George has never done one so it's a proper challenge for us, but I like the symmetry of a 61 year old and a 16 year old being a bit silly together.

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
Re: Ride to Istanbul
« Reply #1 on: 04 July, 2022, 10:15:24 pm »
Sounds like an "Adventure" so good luck and keep us posted.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

JJ

« Reply #2 on: 07 July, 2022, 12:07:57 pm »
The adventure so far consists mostly of bolting new bits onto bikes and wishing I'd started that sooner.  The chain that I thought was fairly new turns out to be over 1% worn.  Hope I haven't knackered the chain rings.  The bar tape I had on the shelf turned out to be absurdly short, so I finished off the tops with some old-school cloth tape.  Looks odd but should work ok.  Those Duranos were the tightest I've fitted in a long time.  I really hope they stretch a bit before either of us has a p...sssht.

Next up, racks and mudguards for both bikes and a bit of a fully loaded dry run.

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2022, 02:38:00 pm »
Good luck and have a great adventure !

There's a brilliant book available on Kindle by a guy who did this -   The 10,000k Challenge.
Depends when you are leaving - could be an inspiring read :-)

Cheers,
  Steve

JJ

« Reply #4 on: 08 July, 2022, 11:27:56 pm »
Cheers
Leaving on Friday, but taking a kindle so I'll load that onto it.
No way am I going to get through all the motivational books that I've been proposed though!

JJ

« Reply #5 on: 23 August, 2022, 03:02:32 pm »
Well, we made it.  It was a proper adventure.  There was much more non-tarmac riding than I expected, ranging from gravel paths to rocky trails and single-track.  Our decision to travel light-ish and stick to one pannier each was a good one in that the bikes and wheels held up to the mistreatment.

The final ride into Istanbul itself, including a scramble down to and crossing over an ancient roman or ottoman aqueduct was pretty mad.

I learnt (again) that the people of this world are overwhelmingly kind and welcoming.

We raised over ten grand for research into children's blood cancers.

There's a daily report and pictures here https://www.facebook.com/GeorgeandJohnsRidetoIstanbul/ if you can bear to click on Facebook.  No login should be required.

« Reply #6 on: 23 August, 2022, 10:41:15 pm »
Sounds (and looks) fantastic. Well done.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.