Author Topic: Last minute anxieties  (Read 3512 times)

Last minute anxieties
« on: 02 August, 2022, 06:39:54 pm »
A topic where you can fret about all the things that will go wrong during LEL.

I just realised I haven't had a flat tyre this year (that's close to 14000km of cycling). Certainly I'm due for a catastrophic series of punctures somewhere between Innerleithen and Eskdalemuir.

Re: Last minute anxieties
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:02:42 pm »
I did two LELs, a PBP, a 1200 and two 1000 km events, starting each with new brake pads, cassette, chain, and GP 4 season tyres, with zero punctures or mechanicals, apart from a broken spoke on the first LEL (the other 31 on the wheel meant I hadn’t noticed). I decided not to put on new tyres for the second PBP, as the existing ones were less than six months old; I punctured entering the registration camp the day before (the only puncture for the entire trip).

Putting on new tyres can help you to worry less!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2022, 07:26:19 pm »
I replaced both tyres of course (as well as chain, cassette, brake pads etc), but I still think I'm due for a bunch of flats. This is a place for irrational fears ;-)

« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2022, 09:40:09 am »
Not quite mechanical, but I have a niggling saddle sore I've not been able to shift since a very very hot 600k ride a few weeks agi - so I'm worried that it will flare up again.

I'm also a little worried about tyres, they were new end of March so I thought they'd be OK. Had one puncture and worried it might repeat. I think it's a bit late to order new ones though...(and they're not in stock anywhere....)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2022, 11:04:58 am »
I've been running tubeless, successfully for a while, but I did get a puncture that wouldn't seal on the dean this year, and of course when I put it tube in it found one of the sharps that were still in the tyre and had sealed.

Think I'll pack a spare tyre for LEL

I'm more worried about my fitness, but nothing I can do about that now.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:07:31 pm »
Thanks everyone - my list of concerns just got a whole lot longer !

On the bright side, I did manage to get my hands on a spare derailleur hanger.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2022, 01:20:39 pm »
Thanks everyone - my list of concerns just got a whole lot longer !

On the bright side, I did manage to get my hands on a spare derailleur hanger.
Oh, nice reminder. I've got a spare somewhere, I should take it along.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2022, 05:57:12 pm »
I've just put my out-of-office on, so I'm now officially in LEL mode.

I had a bear of a time trying to get me and my bike onna train to Walthamstow, where I've got a hotel booked.
I'm travelling tomorrow, because I couldn't get a bike space for Friday.

And then, to negotiate a way from Kings-X to Walthamstow on a bike-friendly route!
For the record, for anyone trying to work this out, here's a couple of links:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/cycling/cycles-on-public-transport#on-this-page-1

Then download the map pdf:
https://content.tfl.gov.uk/cycles-on-public-transport.pdf

Honestly, it was easier to get to Umea in Sweden!

Bags are packed, bike is ready, I am not.

I'll be using my flat in Edinburgh as my bag-drop, so a bag-o-stuff for Edinburgh is prepared.
This is both a benefit and a curse. Yes, I have a cozy stop where I can sleep if I want, and have a bagdrop.
But also, it's a dangerous ICBA to ride back to London point.

Now in that slightly angsty phase where I just need to get started.
Once you start turning the pedals, the travel stress drops away.

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2022, 07:34:32 pm »
My last 3 punctures I have not been riding.

The other week, on the hottest day ever so they say, I had my bike on the work stand out in the garden sorting out my gears, both tyres blew at the same time within a minute or two, on looking, a tiny pin prick puncture in each innertube.

2 days ago whilst fitting a new chain out in the garden, in the Sun, the rear tyre went down, tiny pin prick puncture and that was on a new tyre.

Maybe I should apply factor 50 sunscreen on my tyres for LEL

Got my rear mech sorted and a new cable fitted, today on my last test ride and everything was working perfectly, the gears on the rear went completely tits up in the last few miles before home. I'm just hoping its cable stretch as tightening it up seemed to get it working again. But, the way it went, it was not progressive, but a complete change from working excellent to unfunctional is bothering me.

Also shortly before the gears went tits up, a lot of cracking sounds coming from the rear, dammed if I know what it is, new wheel as well. I'm just hoping it was the spokes flexing where they cross. Hopefully a bit of oil at them points will stop it.

What else can possibly go wrong?

Other than that, I still have no motivation, enthusiasm or interest in LEL. It was only a fortnight ago, I looked it up out of curiosity to see how far it was in miles, I had been miscalculating by 100 miles shorter than it actually is and thought it was only about 840 miles.

« Reply #9 on: 05 August, 2022, 11:10:45 am »
Bike is now pretty much sorted. Changed the granny ring from a 30T to 26T which seems to be working okay and bodged a routesheet holder. When I finish work today, I'll get my packing done and bag drop kit sorted.

Feeling pretty nervous as this is my first multi-day Audax. My main anxiety is about my fitness. As an Essexian who lives near the start/end of the LEL route, I find the 'hills' around here challenging enough, so not sure how I'm going to cope once I get north of the Humber! Nerves and trepidation are starting to turn into excitement though so hopefully I'll be fine once I'm out on the road.

« Reply #10 on: 05 August, 2022, 08:41:50 pm »
My main anxiety is about my fitness.

Everyone 's main anxiety is about fitness. In 2013, we were in the exact situation that you described, first multi days audax, questionable fitness, etc. Once you cross the start line, you just forget everything, and enjoy the ride, the gorgeous landscapes, the nice weather, and everything will be fine!

A