Author Topic: Stiff Merino  (Read 764 times)

Stiff Merino
« on: 09 August, 2022, 10:08:45 am »
Bit gross I suppose and only something that seems to happen with cheaper merino usually, but has anyone had their merino base layers staff to go a bit stiff on the back?

Got a couple, that no matter how I was them, they've lost their softness and flex. Can only assume its sweat doing this to them, but it doesn't seem to have happened with my icebreaker or isobaa ones.

Re: Stiff Merino
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:32:58 am »
Had that happen with stuff that hasn't washed properly.

Do you mean scratchy stiff, or just not very pliable?

If the second, then I think you've washed it with too much detergent and it has felted.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:45:48 am »
I only wash merino stuff with liquid soap, I think it's possible to wash the oils out of the wool with anything harsher.  I've not had any go stiff, though I have been disappointed in other ways the couple of times I've bought cheap, mainly that it just doesn't feel as soft or last as long.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2022, 10:51:23 am »
Do you ride with a daypack or suchlike?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2022, 11:01:03 am »
I've used merino tops for many years - all sorts from cheaper to top end.  I wear them daily as baselayers, mid layers and in the summer sleeveless on their own.  I wear them with heavy backpacks on occasion and for days on end when touring (when they come into their own for neutralising odour  ;)).

I've never had any part stiffen like this.  I wash them with powder at 30c - no special treatments or additives.

(You have to be paranoid about letting clothes moths anywhere near them though  ;D)

The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2022, 01:47:41 pm »
My experience mirrors toontra's - except the touring, I'm too much of a princess to sleep in a tent these days.
I wash them in a 40 woollens wash with a low spin speed. And I'm working through the holes with some visible mending.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2022, 10:55:56 pm »
No issues here. A care regime of handwash with cold water and moisturising hand-soap, cold rinse, then spin dry and line dry. Experience with Icebreaker and Aldi base layers and TKMaxx base layers. The softest and thickest is the TKMaxx garment, the least soft is the Icebreaker.

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:01:53 pm »
In my experience Icebreaker is amongst the most expensive yet lasts the shortest.  I've had tops costing £150+ wear out on the cuffs and generally develop holes (not moth holes) after a few months.  Much cheaper brands (e.g. Wiggle's and Decathlon own brand mid and base-layers) last years.

With merino, paying more is absolutely no indication of increased life expectancy!
The sound of one pannier flapping