Author Topic: shout out to ACME  (Read 7290 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
shout out to ACME
« on: 14 August, 2022, 10:27:54 am »
We are trying to set up a medal for that hopelessly out of time Indian rider.
So I need contact with an Acme rider who has a medal . and then work out how to get it to Alison king who will go to the finish at some ghastly time  tonight. Medal can be replaced   roger 07806642989
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: shout out to ACME
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:00:11 am »
Many Indian riders were struggling due to being not fit enough and sometimes having inadequate bikes, but most of them were also highly motivated. One of them (I dunno if he's the guy FB is talking about) showed up at Barney several hours after the official control closure time. He wanted to make it to London. I told him the controls were going to close their doors, he would have to eat at restaurants and sleep at hotels. He said no problem, I really want to finish this ride. I sincerely hope he made it!

A

Notfromrugby

« Reply #2 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:28:35 am »
true grit!

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:31:49 am »
Where is Alison? There may be some London based AC Hackney riders who could help. Can put it on the WhatsApp group

« Reply #4 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:38:44 am »
Deano finished and is Deano4 on here.  Might be worth sending him a direct message.

« Reply #5 on: 14 August, 2022, 12:02:40 pm »
Not sure where Alison is based but I'm an Audax Club Hackney member and based in London E13. Happily give up my medal if that would be helpful.

« Reply #6 on: 14 August, 2022, 01:04:44 pm »

These "hopelessly out of time" riders are still out there because you allow them to be.

« Reply #7 on: 14 August, 2022, 01:28:04 pm »

These "hopelessly out of time" riders are still out there because you allow them to be.
I am sure that someone will give that remark the response that it merits. The riders are out there because they are human beings with dignity and ambitions, not because the organisation has somehow imported them and dumped them on the highway. I can see various solutions indicated by your remark but they are not appropriate and I'm not going to put them out here. My sympathies and praises go to the people who are helping the riders, even out of time, not to those who want them to somehow disappear.

« Reply #8 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:02:01 pm »

I am sure that someone will give that remark the response that it merits. The riders are out there because they are human beings with dignity and ambitions, not because the organisation has somehow imported them and dumped them on the highway. I can see various solutions indicated by your remark but they are not appropriate and I'm not going to put them out here. My sympathies and praises go to the people who are helping the riders, even out of time, not to those who want them to somehow disappear.

You are dancing round the tree on this one aren't you?
I would argue the opposite, that the organisation has dumped them on the highway.
If it weren't for LEL they wouldn't be there.
 It may be a"private excursion" but they are still participating in an organised event, or at least they were when they set off.

I am quoting Fidgetbuzz because he used the words "hopelessly out of time " not me.
The organisation has been happy to leave riders out on the road without any control support .
The plucky hero narrative is fine so long as no-one gets hurt , then it changes to  "Why did nobody stop them?"
 Audax cannot afford a Gary Hart moment.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #9 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:09:05 pm »

I would argue the opposite, that the organisation has dumped them on the highway. If it weren't for LEL they wouldn't be there.
I am quoting Fidgetbuzz because he used the words "hopelessly out of time " not me.
The organisation has been happy to leave riders out on the road without any control support .
The plucky hero narrative is fine so long as no-one gets hurt.
Then it changes to  "Why did nobody stop them?"
why should they be hurt? they are riding a bike on the road as thousands of us do every day without support. food is available, shelter is available, water is available.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #10 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:19:00 pm »
I would argue the opposite, that the organisation has dumped them on the highway. If it weren't for LEL they wouldn't be there.

What do you propose we do? Lasso them and herd them into pens for their own safety?

P.P.

• Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey!
    • Paul's blog
« Reply #11 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:27:41 pm »
So I need contact with an Acme rider who has a medal . and then work out how to get it to Alison king who will go to the finish at some ghastly time  tonight. Medal can be replaced   roger 07806642989

Have you managed to sort this?

Couple of hours from me, but if it helps makes someone's day I can get my medal back there for later tonight.

« Reply #12 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:48:55 pm »

What do you propose we do? Lasso them and herd them into pens for their own safety?

Daniel, I can't believe that you really typed that on a keyboard, looked at it and then clicked on "Post".
You win. If you can't see a safety and rider welfare issue here , then so be it.

« Reply #13 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:59:37 pm »

Daniel, I can't believe that you really typed that on a keyboard, looked at it and then clicked on "Post".
You win. If you can't see a safety and rider welfare issue here , then so be it.

And did you not actually read it? Notice those things called question marks. Let's hear your proposed answer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 14 August, 2022, 03:52:16 pm »

(Sings)
Cut 'em out, ride 'em in
Rawhide!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:18:30 pm »

If you want me to take you seriously, stop posting dramatic nonsense.

« Reply #16 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:23:46 pm »
Not sure where Alison is based but I'm an Audax Club Hackney member and based in London E13. Happily give up my medal if that would be helpful.

This could work, though Gareema is still making slow progress and I don’t think we can really ask anyone to be there early doors on Monday. ETA is likely to be very early morning.

« Reply #17 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:42:00 pm »
Forgot to mention too that Alison is out near Loughton but without wheels and still rather sore from LEL. So you’d have to be able to schlep out to there.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #18 on: 14 August, 2022, 05:28:23 pm »
Absurd comment: just about every audax ever run, anywhere, has had riders who are "out of time" - if success were guaranteed, it wouldn't be audacious would it? And if someone chooses to spend four extra days finishing a ride, who are you to criticise? Who are we to try to stop them?

And if you're having a go at Alwyn, who's just organised a world class event involving thousands of people, you'll have to get past me first.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #19 on: 14 August, 2022, 05:31:06 pm »
This lady may well over due and out of time but what superb determination.  She now has a fan club following her in person and online.  It is also wonderful to see the organisers trying to arrange a medal in recognition.

Chapeau. 
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

« Reply #20 on: 14 August, 2022, 06:51:11 pm »
Forgot to mention too that Alison is out near Loughton but without wheels and still rather sore from LEL. So you’d have to be able to schlep out to there.

Sorry, I missed these messages in all of the other stuff.

I can cycle out this evening and drop the medal off to Alison. Bhoot has my number and can pass it on or private message me to work out the logistics.

« Reply #21 on: 14 August, 2022, 07:06:06 pm »
You are dancing round the tree on this one aren't you?
I would argue the opposite, that the organisation has dumped them on the highway.
If it weren't for LEL they wouldn't be there.
 It may be a"private excursion" but they are still participating in an organised event, or at least they were when they set off.

The plucky hero narrative is fine so long as no-one gets hurt , then it changes to  "Why did nobody stop them?"
 Audax cannot afford a Gary Hart moment.

I hate to point out the obvious, but editing your post to add more nonsense hasn't made it less nonsensical.

« Reply #22 on: 14 August, 2022, 07:24:33 pm »

Sorry, I missed these messages in all of the other stuff.

I can cycle out this evening and drop the medal off to Alison. Bhoot has my number and can pass it on or private message me to work out the logistics.

Happy to report that this is sorted. A local rider with a medal is shipping one over to Loughton. Our alarm is set for early morning and we can be flexible about meeting Gareema. LiamFitz has lined up a slap-up meal for her in St Ives and there will be a few people clapping her along.

Good times!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #23 on: 14 August, 2022, 07:31:42 pm »
 :thumbsup:  :)
We need a photo of the finish.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #24 on: 14 August, 2022, 07:35:42 pm »
Fabulous, can Liam sort out radio London coverage, or the evening standard, that kind of thing?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.