Author Topic: The cricket...  (Read 255805 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: The cricket...
« Reply #2600 on: 26 July, 2022, 07:18:33 pm »
Under 11s utterly thrashed by Cricket Wales Girls today.  Well what did they expect?
Those girls had travelled from all parts of Wales, it would have been fairer to them to offer some decent opposition.
Honestly, some of those girls were huge and the little lads did well not to burst into tears facing the seamers.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2601 on: 26 July, 2022, 09:37:34 pm »
Seem to remember Deano telling me that when he was at school a flame -haired youth gave him a fright with his fast bowling (don't know for how long).  Turned out in later life to be Paul Collingwood (bowler that is, not Deano).  I expect Deano turned out to be out - though he didn't say.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2602 on: 27 July, 2022, 04:16:17 pm »
Seem to remember Deano telling me that when he was at school a flame -haired youth gave him a fright with his fast bowling (don't know for how long).  Turned out in later life to be Paul Collingwood (bowler that is, not Deano).  I expect Deano turned out to be out - though he didn't say.

I saw a video yesterday purported to be Paul Collingwood's daughter, aged about 14 I would guess, clean-bowling Joe Root in a nets session. She looked very quick.

In fact, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-MfXXscwfI&ab_channel=SportsYaari
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2603 on: 27 July, 2022, 08:43:06 pm »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2604 on: 01 August, 2022, 12:58:22 pm »
Tomorrow, Essex and Lancashire play one another in a 1-day competition. Both teams are playing away from home, since the venue is Sedbergh Schoool, which is in Cumbria. ;)

I have to confess that, although I have stayed in Sedbergh and cycled through on a few occasions, I was unaware that there was a large public school there with a ground capable of supporting what may well be a well-attended 1-day match.

Quite a few years ago, I spent a few days at Oakham School when they hosted the finals of the National Primary Schools Chess Championships, and there was a first-class match going on, 3 days I think. It was an England A v ?? . I can't recall the opposition - an African country I think, but one that didn't qualify for full test status at the time. Each time we walked from the (chess) playing venue to our accommodation, we went past the cricket. There was almost no-one there watching, even though the quality of the players was pretty high.

« Reply #2605 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:19:07 pm »
Or Westmorland, as some of us still insist!

Wow, I think you might find the wiki entry quite informative.  Like you, I have ridden past the school many times and also through Dent, which I guess you will have, too.  The large stone obelisk in Dent commemorates Adam Sedgwick, the geologist, who had a house at Sedbergh School named after him (but he doesn't know that).  The Alumni make interesting reading: many eminent politicians and theologians and also Roger Vignoles, who will be known to you, and several rugger buggers, including Carling and Greenwood and interestingly Tomas Francis, who I think was related to a one-time denizen of this forum, was he not?

(Lancashire will win the game, either them or Essex - unless it's a draw.)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2606 on: 01 August, 2022, 01:43:10 pm »
Tomorrow, Essex and Lancashire play one another in a 1-day competition. Both teams are playing away from home, since the venue is Sedbergh Schoool, which is in Cumbria. ;)

I have to confess that, although I have stayed in Sedbergh and cycled through on a few occasions, I was unaware that there was a large public school there with a ground capable of supporting what may well be a well-attended 1-day match.

Quite a few years ago, I spent a few days at Oakham School when they hosted the finals of the National Primary Schools Chess Championships, and there was a first-class match going on, 3 days I think. It was an England A v ?? . I can't recall the opposition - an African country I think, but one that didn't qualify for full test status at the time. Each time we walked from the (chess) playing venue to our accommodation, we went past the cricket. There was almost no-one there watching, even though the quality of the players was pretty high.

There is a cricket week at Cheltenham College (not the Ladies, the other one for boys where they filmed If) - usually a good range of matches, I used to go when I lived just outside Cheltenham.

I too have cycled to and stayed at Sedergh - IIRC our route went past the school.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2607 on: 01 August, 2022, 02:21:04 pm »
I like the concept of a "Cricket Week". Essex used to have quite a few: Southend, Ilford, Leyton, Colchester, and even Brentwood - I recall going there once when i was very small. I didn't watch any cricket but my dad spent the day there watching "his" county of Glamorgan (my dad came from Pengam, Mon - the wrong side to the Rhymney to be properly Glamorised). My namesake was playing for Glam at the time.

Most of the traditional weeks for Essex have now fallen by the wayside and they play the vast majority of their games in Chelmsford. I can understand that - they were once docked points because of the state of the pitch at Southchurch Park (Southend) and that cost them the title. I would imagine that when counties play at other grounds than their main one that a certain amount of ground care is taken on trust. Indeed, looking at the current fixture list, it seems that all home games are being played at Chelmsford. This is a shame. Southchurch, for example, holds at least one World record: the 1948 Australians scored 721 runs in a single day, which I don't think has ever been bettered. Gooch very nearly became the first batsman to score 200 in a 40-over match there, again v Glam. Derek Pringle was responsible for him being run out when in the 170s. Pringle was on 2 at the time and went on to make 50-odd. Essex scored about 350 in what may well have been a 40-over record at the time.

Glamorgan used to play at a number of different grounds, and I think they used to have a week in Llandudno, a very long way from home! I've watched them play in Sophia Gardens and St. Helens (Swansea - nowhere near Lancashire). I believe the latter is no longer used for county cricket, and of course it was there that Sobers hit 6 sixes off a single Malcolm Nash over.

Apart from Glam & Lancs, which other counties play outside their counties' strict geographical locations? I don't count the London boroughs here: as far as I am concerned, the 5 London boroughs that used to be Essex still are for sporting purposes. When I used to select the county junior chess teams, I was spoiled by having Havering, Redbridge, Barking & Dagenham, Waltham Forest and Newham under my jurisdiction, and of course Surrey hardly ever play in actual Surrey itself.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2608 on: 01 August, 2022, 03:22:35 pm »
Gloucestershire. Unless you think of Royal Gloucestershire.
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2609 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:06:37 pm »

Where do they play outside Gloucestershire other than Bristol, which I would have thought for historical cricketing reasons would be counted as Gloucestershire?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2610 on: 01 August, 2022, 05:09:55 pm »
Er, is that ^^^^ in the right thread?

Edit: it appears it wasn’t…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2611 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:52:15 pm »

Match abandoned without a ball being bowled.

They should have held it in Essex. Hasn't rained properly for almost 2 months.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2612 on: 02 August, 2022, 11:58:47 pm »

Where do they play outside Gloucestershire other than Bristol, which I would have thought for historical cricketing reasons would be counted as Gloucestershire?

Bristol is outside Gloucestershire, unless you think of Royal Gloucestershire, which, I think, I posted above  ???

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2613 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:21:23 am »
I’d never heard the term “Royal Gloucestershire” as a thing. A google just threw up hussars and hospitals.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2614 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:32:46 am »
When I first watched Essex play cricket, their scoreboard was an old furniture van that had been painted black and used to travel round to each ground where they played. The scorers would sit inside it and lean out of windows cut into it to hang the relevant numbers on hooks.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-mobile-scoreboard-is-used-for-the-last-time-and-shows-that-essex-117832258.html

It seems that it was still in use as recently as 2014.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2615 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:52:53 am »
I’d never heard the term “Royal Gloucestershire” as a thing. A google just threw up hussars and hospitals.

Ah, good point. Try ceremonial instead of royal.

“Bristol became a county in its own right, separate from Gloucestershire and Somerset in 1373”  ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2616 on: 03 August, 2022, 08:55:34 am »
Still an admin change to local government thobut - just one that predated Ted Heath. ;)

« Reply #2617 on: 03 August, 2022, 06:59:28 pm »
Going cycling from Sedbergh tomorrow with an old boy of the School. We are riding from Sedburgh to Hawes then over Buttertubs then to Reeth, left to Tan Hill over the top and down to Kirby Stephen and back to Sedbergh. His Dad was a bank manager in town. We don't mention the school as he knows it annoys me. I suspect that Lancashire CC have a connection, possibly an ex player is Sports Master. LCC had two one day games here in Blackpool earlier in the summer. One win and one rain affected. I'll test him on his school Knowledge to help me forget the gradient on the hills.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2618 on: 19 August, 2022, 04:51:21 pm »
Well, that wasn't a great success for England...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #2619 on: 19 August, 2022, 04:55:02 pm »
We didn't have the 4th innings. If we had had that, we would have won!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #2620 on: 19 August, 2022, 05:12:18 pm »
We didn't have the 4th innings. If we had had that, we would have won!

As long as SA were forbidden from having a second...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2621 on: 31 August, 2022, 09:13:01 pm »
I like the concept of a "Cricket Week". Essex used to have quite a few: Southend, Ilford, Leyton, Colchester, and even Brentwood - I recall going there once when i was very small. I didn't watch any cricket but my dad spent the day there watching "his" county of Glamorgan (my dad came from Pengam, Mon - the wrong side to the Rhymney to be properly Glamorised). My namesake was playing for Glam at the time.

Most of the traditional weeks for Essex have now fallen by the wayside and they play the vast majority of their games in Chelmsford. I can understand that - they were once docked points because of the state of the pitch at Southchurch Park (Southend) and that cost them the title. I would imagine that when counties play at other grounds than their main one that a certain amount of ground care is taken on trust. Indeed, looking at the current fixture list, it seems that all home games are being played at Chelmsford. This is a shame. Southchurch, for example, holds at least one World record: the 1948 Australians scored 721 runs in a single day, which I don't think has ever been bettered. Gooch very nearly became the first batsman to score 200 in a 40-over match there, again v Glam. Derek Pringle was responsible for him being run out when in the 170s. Pringle was on 2 at the time and went on to make 50-odd. Essex scored about 350 in what may well have been a 40-over record at the time.

Glamorgan used to play at a number of different grounds, and I think they used to have a week in Llandudno, a very long way from home! I've watched them play in Sophia Gardens and St. Helens (Swansea - nowhere near Lancashire). I believe the latter is no longer used for county cricket, and of course it was there that Sobers hit 6 sixes off a single Malcolm Nash over.

Apart from Glam & Lancs, which other counties play outside their counties' strict geographical locations? I don't count the London boroughs here: as far as I am concerned, the 5 London boroughs that used to be Essex still are for sporting purposes. When I used to select the county junior chess teams, I was spoiled by having Havering, Redbridge, Barking & Dagenham, Waltham Forest and Newham under my jurisdiction, and of course Surrey hardly ever play in actual Surrey itself.

4-day cricket spelt the end of the cricket week - Kent used to have them at Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells in my time and a few others before that.  But that was based around 2x3 day games back to back.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2622 on: 31 August, 2022, 09:14:20 pm »
A day late.  But hats off to Stevo.  Every time Kent don't renew his contract he runs into staggering form.  Perhaps its their secret tactic to get some silverware this year after a near wipe-out for the season.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2623 on: 01 September, 2022, 08:08:01 pm »
Well, that wasn't a great success for England...
Any updates on the England success situation?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2624 on: 01 September, 2022, 08:16:19 pm »
When I first watched Essex play cricket, their scoreboard was an old furniture van that had been painted black and used to travel round to each ground where they played. The scorers would sit inside it and lean out of windows cut into it to hang the relevant numbers on hooks.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-mobile-scoreboard-is-used-for-the-last-time-and-shows-that-essex-117832258.html

It seems that it was still in use as recently as 2014.

It was mentioned on BBC essex cricket commentary, I think they said it's still out the back of one ground as became unroadworthy