Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo 20-21 July 2013  (Read 56430 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Dunwich Dynamo 20-21 July 2013
« Reply #25 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:58:53 am »
With the then Mrs LWaB on a Brommie for her first night ride and first 100+ mile ride. She sailed through much better than I did in '03 (or was it '04?). After midnight is a bit tough for me and I've not done another DD yet, for various reasons.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #26 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:02:35 am »
Starting from Southend would yield a ride of very similar length to the original, and then joining the same at either Dunmow or Sudbury is something that has occurred to me.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #27 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:04:40 am »
... that was the first "mass forum" ride ... from the C+ days - featuring, among others : Charlotte on a recumbent, Chuffy & Baggy (not then an item), the Pikes, Nutty, Ravenbait, Andy Gates ... me .. and more.

Rob

Was that the year of the famous strawberry bootlace incident on the jolly-bus home? 2004? Aunty C, I'm sure, can advise...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #28 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:12:58 am »
That was 2005.  I wasn't on the Magic Bus but I saw it being loaded.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #29 on: 02 July, 2012, 10:38:47 am »
That was 2005.  I wasn't on the Magic Bus but I saw it being loaded.

My recollection was wrong - it was 2004 - the following year Charlotte organised the bus and her dad with a bike van.

What I do recollect from 2004 is that my riding pal had driven to Dunwich on the Friday and left his car there - trained to London to stay with his son - and then drove us home on the Sunday ... we sat in my garden at Stratford upon Avon and drank a bottle of Champagne at about 1130 on the Sunday :thumbsup:     (We passed Mr & the then Mrs LWaB as they rode across the blasted heath coming away from Dunwich)

I haven't ridden the Dun Run since - it was one of those "do it once" things .... but then so was the E2E and I've done that twice and am now planning another one ... as the "double" - home to JOG to LE to home  (negotiations are ongoing for the required kitchen pass from Mrs robgul .... )

Rob

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #30 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:05:23 am »
My only DunRun was :iirc: in 2005 & I DNF due to staying with a broken Tich.
It has remained as unfinished business but is increasingly unlikely to be replayed :(

rogerzilla

« Reply #31 on: 02 July, 2012, 01:50:52 pm »
2004 was the year numbers first jumped, due to a certain article in the cycling press.  I didn't have time to train for it that year (note the date: that issue would only have gone on sale in mid June), but this is what got me thinking:

http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich1.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich2.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich3.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich4.jpg

Incidentally, where did the 120 mile myth start?  It's 112.7.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #32 on: 02 July, 2012, 02:39:02 pm »
I think this year was the the first one I have done in under 120 miles !
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

rogerzilla

« Reply #33 on: 02 July, 2012, 02:42:04 pm »
I measured it in 2005 with a painstakingly-accurately calibrated cycle computer.  Does the official route still divert into the back roads of Epping Forest, though?  I know no-one goes that way in practice.

robgul

« Reply #34 on: 02 July, 2012, 02:52:37 pm »
2004 was the year numbers first jumped, due to a certain article in the cycling press.  I didn't have time to train for it that year (note the date: that issue would only have gone on sale in mid June), but this is what got me thinking:

http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich1.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich2.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich3.jpg
http://www.peeble.com/bikes/dunwich4.jpg

... I've got a video clip somewhere - it's just after the start when the route turns right from Lower Clapton Road towards Lea Bridge Road - I'll try and find it and get it online.

Another memory from 2004 - around the back of Hackney Town Hall as we left the pub a car stopped at the cycle-crossing and was rather surprised that around 350 cyclists crossed the road ;D ;D ;D

Rob

rogerzilla

« Reply #35 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:04:04 pm »
From the article "first to hit the beach at 5.00am".  How times change!

robgul

« Reply #36 on: 02 July, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »
Here's some stuff I found in the depths of my PC - from the 2004 Dun Run ...

A post-ride write up from young Chuffy - with mention of a few people that still meander around on here
An article that appeared in the Daily Torygraph the following weekend
A short video clip  (if you watch carefully the rider with the orange/yellow fluo jacket and yellow backpack that the camera overtakes at almost exactly half way through is me!)

www.beewee.org.uk/generaldocs/dun-run/Chuffy-dunrun2004.pdf
www.beewee.org.uk/generaldocs/dun-run/DunTelegraph14Aug04.pdf
www.beewee.org.uk/generaldocs/dun-run/dynamo.wmv

... I also have the track on mp3 called Dunwich Beach from the great Brian Eno ... about 10 minutes of relaxation as the waves gently lap on the pebble - superb, but too big to upload)

Rob

« Reply #37 on: 02 July, 2012, 08:45:59 pm »

Dunno.  My mileage from 2010 was 112.96 miles, although I'd suggest that the final digit is probably best ignored, so 113.0 miles, to 1 decimal place, is possibly more accurate for my route on that occasion.  Being easily within 1% of your distance seems reasonably plausible.
Actually, it is rocket science.

rogerzilla

« Reply #38 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:08:46 pm »
Southwark Cyclists have always quoted 120 miles.  Patrick Field, who should know since it's his route, says 200km, which is getting silly (10% over).  So I think it's just institutionalised exaggeration. 

I know I was amazed to see the "Dunwich 7" sign in 2005, thinking I had another 15 miles to go.

« Reply #39 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:41:15 pm »
2004 was the year numbers first jumped, due to a certain article in the cycling press.

2004 was the first year I did it. There were about 400 I think. That was a nice number. Not too congested getting out of London, nice and quiet throughout the night, but still enough cycists to make it a memorable event, and not too long a queue at either halfway or Dunwich.

I have to watch myself though - It's easy to say, 'it's not the same, too many people' etc..
It's a bit like sitting in a traffic jam and thinking, 'look at all this traffic, what a pain, it's a nightmare, all I want to do is drive my car to XXX' !!! It's easy to forget that the numbers are just more people like me in 2004, doing it for the first time! Things evolve. Just the way it is.

Last time I did it was [I think] 2010. Personally speaking with all those numbers, I find the really bright rear flashers a bit difficult to take now for any length of time.
Garry Broad

« Reply #40 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:46:08 pm »
My gps track log reckons 111 miles in all so 112/113 is probably about right.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 02 July, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »
Southwark Cyclists have always quoted 120 miles.

It probably is from Southwark...

« Reply #42 on: 02 July, 2012, 11:57:56 pm »
Given that it is the start of the ride that seems to be the most problematic, perhaps the answer is to start elsewhere and join it near, say, North Weald. If would be very easy to jump on the central line at Leyton with bike (near Stratford train station) and sit on it until Epping at which point you can join the ride just before the refreshment stop at the pub in Moreton. Something to think about for next year.
I have toyed with the idea of taking the Brompton and getting the Tube from Lancaster Gate to Epping, which avoids the dangerous roads at the start.  It also makes the total distance more reasonable on a bike that doesn't roll as well.  Cheating, though.

The issue with trying to avoid the A104/B1393 section through Epping Forest is how far off-piste you'd need to go. As far as I can see, skirting north and west of the A104/B1393 would probably see you having to go all the way up to Waltham Cross/Abbey, before swinging around to Epping via Nazeing Gate, Broadly Common and Epping Green. Probably not a viable alternative.

Skirting south and east provides a couple of options if you don't mind staying on the official route until you've crossed the North Circular:

If you want to cut out the A104 completely, the most likely-looking parallel route is via Homerton and Leytonstone, joining the A113 at Wanstead, then as per option 2 above. However, a good look at the route with Google Maps satellite view and Street View seems to suggest that this route could be... interesting, particularly the roundabout under the bottom end of the M11.  :-\
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #43 on: 03 July, 2012, 12:18:16 am »

If you want to cut out the A104 completely, the most likely-looking parallel route is via Homerton and Leytonstone, joining the A113 at Wanstead, then as per option 2 above. However, a good look at the route with Google Maps satellite view and Street View seems to suggest that this route could be... interesting, particularly the roundabout under the bottom end of the M11.  :-\

That roundabout shouldn't be too bad on the weekend (although not a bucket of fun); this looks the same as the BHF route from Victoria Park to Southend (which diverges a bit later following Manor Rd up to Grange Hill).

robgul

« Reply #44 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:23:14 am »
Given that it is the start of the ride that seems to be the most problematic, perhaps the answer is to start elsewhere and join it near, say, North Weald. If would be very easy to jump on the central line at Leyton with bike (near Stratford train station) and sit on it until Epping at which point you can join the ride just before the refreshment stop at the pub in Moreton. Something to think about for next year.
I have toyed with the idea of taking the Brompton and getting the Tube from Lancaster Gate to Epping, which avoids the dangerous roads at the start.  It also makes the total distance more reasonable on a bike that doesn't roll as well.  Cheating, though.

The issue with trying to avoid the A104/B1393 section through Epping Forest is how far off-piste you'd need to go. As far as I can see, skirting north and west of the A104/B1393 would probably see you having to go all the way up to Waltham Cross/Abbey, before swinging around to Epping via Nazeing Gate, Broadly Common and Epping Green. Probably not a viable alternative.

Skirting south and east provides a couple of options if you don't mind staying on the official route until you've crossed the North Circular:

Having lived at Buckhurst Hill (and going to school in Chigwell) & then Broadley Common (and also near Dunmow) I have some considerable knowledge of the area :

1 The Waltham Abbey/Broadley Common route is a no-no - very narrow and dangerous for cycling (it's called the Crooked Mile .. although it's more than that)  ... and then a big hill up to Broadley Common

2 The Woodford Wells/Buckhurst Hill/Loughton/Debden Green diversion is feasible but you just exchange the chavs on the Epping New Road (the old A11) through the forst for the ones in Loughton & Debden.

3 Woodford Wells/Buckhurst Hill ... Palmerston Road, Roding Lane, Chigwell School and via Rolls Park Corner and Abridge to Ongar would be a good alternative (although not sure on extra distance)

Rob

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #45 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
If one was to take option 3 above and start from a point a bit further east of London Fields, one could always start from the Golden Fleece on Wanstead Flats.  Plenty of 'park' on which to hang out with rail and 'overgound' stations around the corner.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #46 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:40:48 am »
i'd be tempted to join the ride at great dunmow at about midnight - it's a nice 20 mile ride there from home, so I can avoid the thrash out of london and enjoy the quieter bits heading to the seaside. 

Anyone else from cambridge fancy that? (although it'll add another 10 miles for you)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #47 on: 03 July, 2012, 09:42:29 am »
I like the thought of riding up from Southend. In fact, I like it so much I'm going to give it a try in the not too distant future.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #48 on: 03 July, 2012, 11:10:06 am »
[snipped to save space]

Having lived at Buckhurst Hill (and going to school in Chigwell) & then Broadley Common (and also near Dunmow) I have some considerable knowledge of the area :

1 The Waltham Abbey/Broadley Common route is a no-no - very narrow and dangerous for cycling (it's called the Crooked Mile .. although it's more than that)  ... and then a big hill up to Broadley Common

2 The Woodford Wells/Buckhurst Hill/Loughton/Debden Green diversion is feasible but you just exchange the chavs on the Epping New Road (the old A11) through the forst for the ones in Loughton & Debden.

3 Woodford Wells/Buckhurst Hill ... Palmerston Road, Roding Lane, Chigwell School and via Rolls Park Corner and Abridge to Ongar would be a good alternative (although not sure on extra distance)

Rob

Thanks for that - I'd dismissed the northern route on the grounds of distance anyway, but a second opinion does no harm.  :thumbsup:

With the southern diversions, it had occurred to me that you'd still have the chance of encountering errant drivers. However, going off-piste does at least have the advantage that you're not having to worry about the hordes of other cyclists at the same time.

Regarding the Chigwell-Ongar route, if we take the A104/A110 junction as the start point, with the end point at the junction of Moreton Road and the B184, just before Fyfield, then according to Google maps, the diversion is shorter than the official route:

Chigwell-Ongar diversion = 15.7 miles
Official route = 16.5 miles

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #49 on: 04 July, 2012, 01:53:39 pm »
Southwark Cyclists have always quoted 120 miles.  Patrick Field, who should know since it's his route, says 200km, which is getting silly (10% over).  So I think it's just institutionalised exaggeration. 

I know I was amazed to see the "Dunwich 7" sign in 2005, thinking I had another 15 miles to go.

I still have 3 brevet cards from the first 3 Dynamos in 1993, 4 and 5 which I did on a tourer (later stolen), a racing tricycle (still riding) and Italian racing bike (later stolen) respectively. The cards all quote 200km on the front although the route sheet was quite clear that this was a nominal description. I have also done it a dozen or so times subsequently - including this year. These days I live very near the current feedstop and work and live in London during the week so now I split the ride by riding up on Friday afternoon or very early Saturday - spend the day with the family - rejoin the main ride at about 11.30pm for the last 60 miles or so for an early 4amish arrival. Return home is straightforward as my partner comes and collects me so my son can get a swim in. I will be doing the latter half of the ride with him on our tandem in 2014 I think - assuming he is still as willing as he is at age 8.

For me the funny thing is seeing how the nightlighting has changed so much - from incandescent to LEDs throughout. There are also far more road bikes now.