Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 41599 times)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #625 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:25:08 pm »
I put this together a few weeks ago ...

It collects the bath/shower water. If I'd applied a bit more effort it would capture the basin water as well
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #626 on: 13 August, 2022, 02:31:28 pm »
Weather station is showing 35.2°C in the shade at the moment.
I'm expecting that to rise by 3 or 4 degrees.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #627 on: 13 August, 2022, 04:02:37 pm »
I've just modified the diverted from the washing machine so that it feeds into a bucket. I could do the sink - Ecover or Bio-D w/u liquid should be harmless to plants (soap, undiluted pH of ~5.5 - rather different from detergent).
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #628 on: 13 August, 2022, 04:27:08 pm »
Seems to have peaked at 30 here today.  It's still going very cool at night, so it's easier to take.  The shorter days also help.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #629 on: 13 August, 2022, 04:33:51 pm »
I could do the sink - Ecover or Bio-D w/u liquid should be harmless to plants (soap, undiluted pH of ~5.5 - rather different from detergent).
Should be fine. We save the washing up water (like you, Bio-D or Ecover or similar) in the bowl for tipping on the borders during hot spells and have done so for many years without noticeable detrimental effect. Only time we don't is if the water has been left very greasy - this is rare as very little meat gets consumed in our house.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #630 on: 13 August, 2022, 04:39:05 pm »
Bush fire very adjacent to Gunpowder Park, Enfield, as I drove home from Turkey Street this afternoon. Lots of fire appliances and stationary traffic not going the other way.

Car thermometer registered up to 35°C on the way home from Nottingham. 31.5°C maximum on the roof.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #631 on: 13 August, 2022, 08:26:54 pm »
I put this together a few weeks ago ...
It collects the bath/shower water. If I'd applied a bit more effort it would capture the basin water as well
Nice... unfortunately our bath and shower are in the middle of the house so much more difficult to route the waste water out, hence bucket and bailer technique.

I wonder if this year people will start looking at grey water capture in houses more seriously. Yet another thing that could have mandated some time ago ( oops straying into rant thread territory)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #632 on: 13 August, 2022, 08:34:55 pm »
I wonder if this year people will start looking at grey water capture in houses more seriously.

It's on the list of sensible things I'd like to do if I could afford a house...

Landlords would never go for it.  Maintenance headache.

« Reply #633 on: 13 August, 2022, 09:59:21 pm »
Sitting in near dark blackout conditions, having to have all the windows open, but not attract bugs in.  Miniao has an issue with mossies...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #634 on: 14 August, 2022, 10:22:10 am »
Although the shower is on 3.75kW it is running fast due to the temperature of the incoming water. One bucket (10 li) won't hack it and the 25 li bucket has an opening at each end. Even in the winter it's about 2.7 li/min on the low setting and that would be OK but it must be around twice that atm - if ICBA I'll check it if I can find the stop watch and tuit.

Couple of years ago I looked at wiring the heaters in series; it's electrically simple but all the protective gubbins and hard links are in the way. Possibly out of its case I could do it but that's a big job for a few weeks a year.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #635 on: 14 August, 2022, 11:19:11 am »
Here's us thinking up various subtle tricks to save water and the bugger across the road pressure-washed two cars yesterday.

This morning I couldn't take a forest road my circuit depended on: closed due to fire risk.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #636 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:14:37 pm »
Already hotter than yesterday.  This is the last day, though.  Hoping for biblical thunderstorms tomorrow.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #637 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:43:13 pm »
I think I just heard thunder…
It is simpler than it looks.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #638 on: 14 August, 2022, 02:59:15 pm »
I think I just heard thunder…

No sorry.  That was me.  :-[
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #639 on: 14 August, 2022, 03:19:28 pm »
Already hotter than yesterday.  This is the last day, though.  Hoping for biblical thunderstorms tomorrow.

Can't remember the last time we had a decent thunderstorm here in Oxon.  [Thinks back to huge claps of thunder & rain hammering down on a corrugated iron roof in Africa]

Just been out to the shed hot box to look for a bike bit.  Gave up.  Quickly.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #640 on: 14 August, 2022, 03:50:39 pm »
Just got back from visiting mum.
Chislehurst station is all locked up.
No notice of this earlier in the week, and National Rail is currently showing trains as available. 
That's a £20.00 cab ride.
Thanks for that, Southeastern.
34.2°C on the shaded side of my shed.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #641 on: 14 August, 2022, 03:57:04 pm »
Up to 35.7 in the Estate Office.  Time to retreat downstairs for a bit.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #642 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:03:29 pm »
The guy who produces my survey reports, works from home.
The documents are image-heavy and they are all hi-res.
On Friday morning he rang to ask whether it was ok that the current stuff he is working on is going to be a bit late.
His Macs are struggling in this heat and he needed to go out and buy an aircon unit to lower the ambient temperature a bit.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #643 on: 14 August, 2022, 04:34:01 pm »
The broadband in my leafy village idyl as gone buggrup. It did this in last heatwave and affected many people. Last time we reported it then it got better all by itself, presumably because the temperature dropped. I think a bit of Openreach kit doesn't like getting this hot.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #644 on: 14 August, 2022, 05:40:20 pm »
Watching the BTCC from Snetterton.  The infield looks like it should have an Intrepid BBC Reporter in a safari jacket striding across it, intoning solemnly about famine.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #645 on: 14 August, 2022, 06:03:07 pm »
Watching the BTCC from Snetterton.  The infield looks like it should have an Intrepid BBC Reporter in a safari jacket striding across it, intoning solemnly about famine.

Given the amount of dust being kicked up when the track limits were being treated as... guidelines, one would be forgiven for thinking there was a herd of wildebeest on a stampede.

<ponders a BTCC race with colemantary c/o of David Attenborough>

"In the midst of the stampede, BTCC cars still find the time to engage in rubbing their body panels against each other as part of their courtship rituals. Over-zealous mating attempts will usually result in cars being ejected from the safety of the pack, leaving them vulnerable to ambush predators such as tyre barriers. And here, we see a stricken car surrounded by a pride of marshals, its driver symbiote having long since made its escape..."
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #646 on: 15 August, 2022, 08:06:43 am »
My mother has bought a 200L water butt for the garden.  She's going to fill it up with a hosepipe, then water the garden with a watering can.... apparently this will evade any hosepipe bans..  :facepalm:
We do sometimes fill the water butts from a hose. And then fill the watering can. I don't think it makes us use any more water, but saves trekking through the house with the can (kitchen at front of house and no outside tap).
We are now in a regime of washing up water on the garden, and I made a bath bailer by cutting down an empty 5l container.
I think it was washing up water, rather than drought itself, that killed the rowan tree in our garden in 1976.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #647 on: 15 August, 2022, 10:51:10 am »
Just had a little light rain in Liverpool. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #648 on: 15 August, 2022, 11:15:21 am »
A beautifully cool 20° here this morning.  We seem to have had some rain overnight but not much.  No sign of promised flash-bangs which is disappointing.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #649 on: 15 August, 2022, 11:38:33 am »
A mere 26°C here. In my youth that would have counted as a hot day. It’s now a cool relief.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.