Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 212897 times)

Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1800 on: 03 October, 2022, 01:42:40 pm »
Sunday, Sigrid outdid herself.

Then, in the afternoon, I walk into the kitchen and there is a medium-sized frog, maybe 3" long, in the dog's water bowl.
As there is no way for a frog to enter the house unless brought in, and Sigrid has been carrying in small frogs (but not eating them), for some time, I think she caught this large frog and carried it in, where it promptly hopped into water.

The alternative, suggested by MrsC, is that Sigrid put the frog in the waterbowl deliberately, as a way of stashing some food for later.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1801 on: 03 October, 2022, 01:58:41 pm »
Zeppy is giving husband the full purring and paddling treatment.
He has been away for3 days, during which time her feline hyperthesia, which is normally well controlled by meds, flared up. I'm not sure it's just co-incidence

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1802 on: 05 October, 2022, 10:43:47 am »
Me. "Come on then, shall we go for a walk?"
Dog (casting eye up at window from her bed). "Fuck off."
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1803 on: 18 October, 2022, 02:18:57 pm »
Catching bats

Well, one bat.

She is starting to excel at catching small animals (multiple frogs and one bat) without causing them visible injury. This is surprising, because she is fairly clumsy and eviscerates any birds, mice or rats she catches.

So last night we found a little pipistrelle bat on the floor in the kitchen. Made the sweetest chirping sounds when I picked it up and took it outside.

I do have a photo, but can't be arsed going through the somersaults required to post on yacf.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1804 on: 21 October, 2022, 11:36:11 am »
Well on my birthday last month my sisters decided to give me a cat! No discussion in advance just a pet delivered to my door and a name given by my niece.

Since then she has been settling in, becoming more and more confident, and generally demanding attention. If I sit on either my sofa or armchair then my lap is her bed and once she knows I am awake in the morning then she likes to settle in on my legs!

ian

« Reply #1805 on: 21 October, 2022, 09:46:23 pm »
Looking at the nasty food and miaowing 'seriously, when do we get the proper stuff?'

They have reached the age when their kidneys question their owners' lives spent as an obligate carnivore. Should have eaten more carrot, my little furry friends.

« Reply #1806 on: 24 October, 2022, 08:34:57 am »
Not eating cheese.

Catticus has an inordinate love of cheese. I had always thought that it was mice that ate cheese and cats that ate mice, but he seems to prefer to cut out the middle stage. Not that he isn't partial to the odd mouse too. Anyway, his morning is not complete without a cheesy snack or two. However being a cat he is of course a cheese snob, and only certain varieties are acceptable. Parmigiano Reggiano, mature Cheddar (has to be mature, mild just does not cut it), Shropshire blue, or (best of all) Stilton. Today I have discovered that not only is he a cheese snob, he is a shop snob - he will not eat Aldi Cheddar.

I'll obviously have to nip down to Waitrose later.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1807 on: 24 October, 2022, 02:38:26 pm »
Both sitting on our laps and purring having been broken free from kitty jail this morning.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1808 on: 30 October, 2022, 12:23:01 pm »
Yesterday evening was somewhat a success, we managed with the help of loud talking/singing, TV and white noise to hide the fact that there were fireworks.

But just as we were drifting off into dreamy land a massive BOOM. The mutt jumped out of her skin and set off from the bed into a barking frenzy by using my meat and two veg's as the 100m starting block, with claws and all her weight. Going back to sleep took a wee time.

Mutt then continued with her saying sorry by waking up at 5am demanding food, because of the fecking time change that don't auto update on organic matter
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1809 on: 30 October, 2022, 04:22:48 pm »
Ah yes, the switch to GMT sees our cat sitting in the doorway eyeing me in a very accusing way.  I've explained it's not 5 o'clock yet but he just looks at me as though I am an idiot.

« Reply #1810 on: 31 October, 2022, 09:31:53 am »
She spent the night seemingly listening for any sign of movement by me, as soon* as I seemed half awake, of moved in bed she woke me by walking on me. I'll be hte one sleeping in the corner of the office this afternoon.

* midnight, 3:30 am, 4am, 5am, 6am ... 

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1811 on: 08 November, 2022, 06:12:54 pm »
Ninkasi is sitting with her body right next to/under the lounge radiator. I think she might be trying to tell us she misses having a wood burning stove.

« Reply #1812 on: 11 November, 2022, 05:04:06 pm »
Well on my birthday last month my sisters decided to give me a cat! No discussion in advance just a pet delivered to my door and a name given by my niece.

Since then she has been settling in, becoming more and more confident, and generally demanding attention. If I sit on either my sofa or armchair then my lap is her bed and once she knows I am awake in the morning then she likes to settle in on my legs!
My sister once let it be known she wanted to get me a cat for my birthday then 2 weeks later cat products for Xmas.  My mum told her to call me to ask about it.  She asked all pleased with herself.  I replied that I don't like cats and don't think of them as real pets.  Oh and under no doubt I do not want her to get me a cat. I'm an animal lover just don't want an animal I don't want. To say she lo9ked deflated is am understatement! I think I got given cheap plastic tat puzzles instead. Just like she normally gets me.

Since then I've got a partner,  kid and dog. She has 2 adult or nearly adult kids and one dog. Cats are not on the agenda for her since.

« Reply #1813 on: 11 November, 2022, 05:11:46 pm »
Our border terrier had a vet checkup and jabs. 18 months ago 6.8kg, 6 months before that 9kg. Now she's 9.9kg!

So half a small measuring cup with a teaspoon of wet food mixed in for tea. She's going to be a nightmare begging for treats tonight. She's learnt that by going outside for business then refusing to come back in is a good way to get treats as bribery. Now she goes outside only to sit looking at the door. She's so obviously waiting for the treat to come out to get n her in.

2 or 3 walks a day it seems isn't enough exercise too. Sunday I think we'll head up to the lakes for a proper walk.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1814 on: 11 November, 2022, 05:32:22 pm »
Ninkasi is being AWOL. I let her out after brekky this morning (6am) and she's not been seen since. And it's blowing a hoolie out there.  :(
So almost impossible to listen out for a crying cat, plus every pile of leaves (of which there are many) looks like a tortie.

ian

« Reply #1815 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:05:06 pm »
Not eating their kidney care food, that's what. (Actually they eat the dry stuff, but under protest, won't touch the wet).

Now surfing the net trying to find something that they might eat as the twice daily food time protest yowling is getting annoying.

Also, dear wife, buy one pack, not twenty, so then we don't have to give it all away. Sorry rescue cats, you're getting it.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1816 on: 11 November, 2022, 09:07:19 pm »
Ninkasi is being AWOL. I let her out after brekky this morning (6am) and she's not been seen since. And it's blowing a hoolie out there.  :(
So almost impossible to listen out for a crying cat, plus every pile of leaves (of which there are many) looks like a tortie.

She's reappeared.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1817 on: 26 November, 2022, 02:03:23 am »
Big Tom has decided to bed down in the corner kitchen cupboard, under the gas hob.
There's a box of 40 Whiskas pouches in this cupboard, which D must extricate (I can't) as we have no cat food left outside the cupboard.
Tom HATES having his slumbers disturbed…

Tom has spent previous nights in our bedroom, either on the bed or on top of D's folded pyjamas, on the counter in the bay window.

« Reply #1818 on: 09 December, 2022, 07:32:06 pm »
Sitting by the cat flap looking out. It’s -2. I did let him out by the front door, but he came straight back in again.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1819 on: 10 December, 2022, 12:36:29 pm »
Ninkasi is sitting with her body right next to/under the lounge radiator. I think she might be trying to tell us she misses having a wood burning stove.

My Lincolnshire correspondent reports:
[The cat]'s new thing is harassing us to get the fire going. he pokes me then pointedly walks to the fire, sits in front of it and stares at me

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1820 on: 11 December, 2022, 01:10:46 pm »
Very good.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1821 on: 11 December, 2022, 01:54:32 pm »
Not allowing any heat from the fire to get past her to the rest of the room.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1822 on: 14 December, 2022, 08:40:32 pm »
Bringing live animals into my office, then tormenting them.

In the past 5 days, 2 shrews, 2 mice and a jacksnipe.  All of them too injured to be released, so I had to kill them.

Oh, she is really on a roll.

One fat mouse and a starling yesterday.

Worked out how she does it. Sits, motionless, on the peat stack. No wind, so any little creature makes a rustling noise. Then there is the flying parkour cat of daeth.

She spent most of last night outside in sub-zero temperatures, by choice. Bloody lunatic cat.

I guess that's what you get for adopting a kitten with a chunk of wildcat genes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1823 on: 17 December, 2022, 02:40:01 pm »
Blackie (f, neutered) seemed to get into a fight with another, smaller black and white cat, by the side of the house.
Screeching was enough to get Big Tom to shift himself out through the cat flap to investigate.
Blakie dated across lawn in fright but has since returned to the bin below our crumbling Perspex canopy.
Tom has returned for MOAR FOOD.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1824 on: 17 December, 2022, 11:15:25 pm »
Effie has just been stuck under a filing cabinet drawer.

A successful rescue was launched.
It is simpler than it looks.