Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 212983 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1825 on: 21 December, 2022, 11:48:09 pm »
Eating Dreamies named 'Catisfactions' in FOREIGN packaging.
We were running short of Dreamies.
David ambled to Poundstretcher & bought 2 bags of cat treats:
180g Catisfaction for £2.70
200g Dreamies for £4.50.

Dreamies price seems high.
Catisfaction has same graphics and manufacturer as Dreamies.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1826 on: 22 December, 2022, 12:36:24 am »
Stinking of dog.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1827 on: 24 December, 2022, 12:15:19 pm »
Waiting patiently for the ends of the carrots as Mrs Pcolbeck peels and chops them for tomorrow.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1828 on: 28 December, 2022, 12:53:47 pm »
The cat has been in cat prison over the Yuletide, mainly because we’ve had a full house and she’s a neurotic lump of fur so would have been very unhappy at home.

She has now returned and is rampaging around the house, shouting at us, shouting to be let out, and then shouting to be let back in and in between demanding attention from us.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1829 on: 28 December, 2022, 02:14:01 pm »
I had thought that the dog was getting increasingly disobedient in her old age.  I've only just realised that she is now almost completely deaf, poor thing.
I've learned that accompanying commands with a hand or arm gesture helps greatly.  Now I just have to make sure that my gestures are consistent.
Yes, we're learning DSL 🐕 👂.

Of course, it's not much use when she's head down sniffing a trail, but it's so much better than it was.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1830 on: 28 December, 2022, 04:20:00 pm »
My Lincolnshire correspondent made this discovery recently about his cat, who has taken to wandering about doing the 'where are you?' meow at full volume and not accepting a verbal response - you have to go and actually show yourself before he's satisfied.

I note that both cats and dogs have a fair amount of hearing to lose before they're down to human frequencies, let alone where we'd notice that they aren't hearing properly.  Must be a bit rubbish for them.

« Reply #1831 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:01:12 pm »
Our old cat was deaf.
Worked it out when I realised that the full volume meow was similar to my almost-deaf husband's lack of volume control.
They learn to use their other senses, and despite spending a lot of time outdoors, she lived to a very old age.

« Reply #1832 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:03:39 pm »
I thought the present cat would be freaked out by the new dehumidifier (she has hyperthesia and is very twitchy)
She is fast asleep on a bench between a radiator and the machine which is emitting a gentle warm draught.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1833 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:23:03 pm »
Speaking of other senses, you may find that with a bit of training stamping your foot works to get the dog's attention.  It's a standard Deaf tactic that lies somewhere between frobbing the lightswitch and throwing things across the room in the attention-getting escalation scale, and I'd imagine a dog would be more attuned to floor vibrations than the average human.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1834 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:26:18 pm »
I had thought that the dog was getting increasingly disobedient in her old age.  I've only just realised that she is now almost completely deaf, poor thing.
I've learned that accompanying commands with a hand or arm gesture helps greatly.  Now I just have to make sure that my gestures are consistent.
Yes, we're learning DSL 🐕 👂.

Of course, it's not much use when she's head down sniffing a trail, but it's so much better than it was.
I had the same with my weimaraner, I thought she was getting very naughty and I got a bit grumpy about it. When I realised she was deaf I felt awful! She learned hand signals really well.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1835 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:36:19 pm »
I found clapping my hands together often got through to the cat even when she heard little else.
Works with husband too!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1836 on: 28 December, 2022, 05:56:53 pm »
I have a spectrum-sweeping whistle noise that I sometimes use to get barakta's attention, but her hearing loss is atypical, and complicated by signal processing that thinks it's cleverer than she is.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1837 on: 28 December, 2022, 06:45:14 pm »
Ooh, is it like the whistle they used to have on Star Trek, in the Shatner days?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1838 on: 28 December, 2022, 08:49:17 pm »
Ooh, is it like the whistle they used to have on Star Trek, in the Shatner days?

No, because I'm crap at whistling, but our alerters play the TOS boatswain's whistle when an IRC bot reminder goes off, because it's really easy to hear we're tremendous nerds    :D

(Idea Lobachevskied from someone I shared a flat with as a PSO, who used it for ICQ notifications.)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1839 on: 28 December, 2022, 09:22:41 pm »
We have a cat-calling whistle (a noise we emit, not a thing to blow into). It's like the Pink Floyd Dogs whistle.

« Reply #1840 on: 29 December, 2022, 10:24:58 pm »
Sitting on the sofa in the lounge, whilst the (huge!) mouse she brought in last night (that has been in our bedroom and office upstairs, then our lounge this evening) cavorts in the kitchen. Useless bloody cat!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1841 on: 30 December, 2022, 03:37:46 pm »
Drying out.

After jumping in the emulsion paint roller tray, and running round the house. This resulted in:

1) A shower for Effie
2) lots of getting paint out of carpets
3) crossness
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1842 on: 30 December, 2022, 04:10:07 pm »
Oh dear, that sounds fun for all involved.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1843 on: 30 December, 2022, 04:39:10 pm »
Is that Effie as in Effing Cat?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1844 on: 30 December, 2022, 04:56:56 pm »
"That Effie cat!" indeed...
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1845 on: 30 December, 2022, 04:59:53 pm »
Oh blimey.
I can imagine the mess.
ETA - cannot be as bad as me as a teenager, having finished decorating my girlfriend's dad's flat, put the lid on 5 litres of gloss white and inverted it to press the lid on. Then lifted it......

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1846 on: 30 December, 2022, 08:03:56 pm »
Were there pawprints?

Our cat sneaked in and 'helped' paint a skirting board with her tail once.  Ended up giving her a haircut, on the basis that anything that would remove gloss paint was likely to be more harmful when ingested than the paint.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1847 on: 05 January, 2023, 05:02:44 pm »
I thought the present cat would be freaked out by the new dehumidifier (she has hyperthesia and is very twitchy)
She is fast asleep on a bench between a radiator and the machine which is emitting a gentle warm draught.

The dehumidifier in our lounge is working most of the time. Cats spend much time there, mostly sleeping. I don't think they afre bothered by the dehumidifier.They seem to lodge:
On the sofa
On  the Clavinova
On the piano stools
On top of the grand piano

Lounge seems to be a good place for them to lie in wait, emerging for FOOD! as soon as I make noises in the kitchen.

D has finally managed to get flea collars on the cats; hopefully, spaying & vacuuming the sofa & carpets will reduce the bites he's been having...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1848 on: 05 January, 2023, 07:58:21 pm »
My dog is on holiday in Berlin again.

I am not on holiday and still at home.

My aged dog has a more exciting life than me!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1849 on: 08 January, 2023, 03:02:23 pm »
Puking.

But simply being sick on the carpet would be far to straightforward for Catticus. Instead he decides to perch on the top of the upstairs banisters and vomit over the edge, thereby coating a significant amount of the downstairs hall. The only good thing about this was that nobody was underneath at the time.