Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517534 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #225 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:07:20 pm »
Back to matters technical.  I am giving up on the new groupset for the Domane.

Buying new levers and calipers for the Flyer.  Wheel upgrade next once I have sold the Equilibrium and my Schils.

Domane will get new headset bearings and new cables for this season instead.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #226 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:09:07 pm »
Buying new levers and calipers for the Flyer.  Wheel upgrade next once I have sold the Equilibrium and my Schils.

Dura Ace??

The Retiree

« Reply #227 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:18:36 pm »
No doubt Oaky will be hoping that Penelope is suitably stocked up with Essex energy drinks when OD brings her out on a Wednesday night.......  ;D

« Reply #228 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:24:46 pm »
Watch it, OD might get stand jealousy.  That one even has little wheels.

The Retiree

« Reply #229 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:27:16 pm »

No flowery Cath Kidson seat cover though.....  :o

« Reply #230 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:35:47 pm »
That is a big compromise for OD.

Unless he has a supplier of Cath Kidston saddles lined up ?

The Retiree

« Reply #231 on: 15 January, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »
Unless he has a supplier of Cath Kidston saddles lined up ?

Didn't like to ask but he may well do!! Penelope with all her load space was a little overloaded on yesterdays shopping trip  ::-)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #232 on: 16 January, 2016, 09:09:04 am »
First supermarket shopping trip this morning! The Current Mrs R is riding her bike too  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #233 on: 16 January, 2016, 06:42:00 pm »
First supermarket shopping trip this morning! The Current Mrs R is riding her bike too  :thumbsup:

Excellent!  :thumbsup:  Any ice in the car parks?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #234 on: 16 January, 2016, 06:49:13 pm »

Excellent!  :thumbsup:  Any ice in the car parks?

Nope, it was all good!  Much fun!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #235 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:45:58 am »

No flowery Cath Kidson seat cover though.....  :o

The Cath Kidston thing got a bit weirder late last week when I discovered one of her shopping bags in the Global Headquarters of Oscar's dad Inc. (aka The Man Cave).  Thinking Cath was living in there without me knowing I mentioned the strange goings on to The Current Mrs R.  She said that some time ago we had visited the Cath Kidston shop in Norwich on the day it opened and had been given these items as freebies.  We also have a couple of her mugs, I imagine we paid for the mugs.

The Retiree

« Reply #236 on: 18 January, 2016, 11:48:57 am »
So far the main MEMWNS sponsors then appear to be Genesis bikes and Cath Kidson for accessories  ;D aside from Ted's branded MEMWNS clothing of course, which he keeps the cards very close to the chest.....

« Reply #237 on: 18 January, 2016, 12:11:48 pm »
So far the main MEMWNS sponsors then appear to be Genesis bikes and Cath Kidson for accessories  ;D aside from Ted's branded MEMWNS clothing of course, which he keeps the cards very close to the chest.....

I don't want to spoil the official launch of the MEMWNS range.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #238 on: 18 January, 2016, 12:13:36 pm »
In 2011 Cath was on Desert Island Discs.

The Retiree

« Reply #239 on: 18 January, 2016, 12:17:18 pm »

The Retiree

« Reply #240 on: 18 January, 2016, 01:12:15 pm »
Fancy a new Trek Tippers/Ted? Colleague at work's brother is selling his from last year only ridden 75 miles as he got injured just before it arrived

Purchased in August 2015 for £7,800.00 from Trek Milton Keynes.

Only selling as he is buying a Project One! Any interest?*

*naturally this bike isn't anywhere near the standard of finish as that of Penelope

« Reply #241 on: 18 January, 2016, 05:31:32 pm »
Ahhh...If I was spending silly money on a Carbon bike I would be heading strict for the new Madone.

A fixie is next on my list, I'll invest in some nice light stuff when I drop to 12 stone (which is pretty darned unlikely  ;D)

The Retiree

« Reply #242 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:42:16 am »
So last night a hardy (some might say foolish) peloton of four formed at Spa Rd, 3 willing participants in myself, Andy C33 and BFC and one bullied into it participant in OD  :thumbsup: he loved it really having been informed that it was - 3 degrees we set off into the freezing fog towards TMNH.

Having made our ascent we headed off down towards Hurrells Doggers Lane to see if the cold weather may mean a quiet night at the ford...... We can report there was the customary white transit plus a couple of other cars, on the other side of the ford myself and OD decided with the road surface a bit slippery we would be best off walking a little bit further up the hill before remounting onto our steeds and we then took the executive decision to cut the pre-planned route short and head straight to see Wally at The Cats with the temperature now ranging between -5/-7  :o

Upon pitching up at The Cats we saw Oaky's bike parked up and a fluorescent Jiber demounting and locking up his bike, as we decanted into the open fire warmth of The Cats a couple of pints of IPA were most welcome and a good chat was had once Tomsk arrived through the cold on a number of different topics with OD filling us in a bit more on his Epic adventure ideas for later in the year plus coming out with the quote of the evening when he announced he would be 'going down' on Penelope.......  ::-) :-X :o

As home time arrived Oaky and the BFC decided they hadn't consumed enough ale so decided to stay on whilst the rest of us made our way outside to iced bikes and frozen solid water bottles in -5 degrees and a gentle ride back saw us part ways with Jiber and Tomsk as myself, OD and Andy C33 arrived back into Witham before the clock struck 12.....

Another top night as usual and a cracking attendance given the weather particularly from Tomsk and Jiber who rode solo  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #243 on: 21 January, 2016, 08:58:21 am »
... plus coming out with the quote of the evening when he announced he would be 'going down' on Penelope.......  ::-) :-X :o

The point I was trying to make was that I was planning to go down to the gym this morning on Penelope ... which I did  ;D

Good write up DL.  I have to say that if any prizes were to be awarded for last night it would go to the Hurrells Lane doggers, it was -4 when we got there  :o  As DL reported, there was a bloke in a car a little way up the lane from the ford and a white Transit with its engine running with a bloke inside.  And there was a woman on her own in a car - is that a good idea?  It was 8:45pm, freezing cold, pitch black and Hurrells Lane is a pretty remote location - I guess they all know what they're doing.

Poor Wally was suffering a bit, he's got some nasty leg ulcers apparently - GWS Wally  :-*

Its good to see proper pint pots are making a comeback ...

Have fun next week!  :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #244 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:04:34 am »
Yes, cold indeed! My chilliest night ride since that Easter Arrow Epic Fail...[2013?]. But at least no snow and howling wind.

The leading edges of Tomsk and Bernardette sported a fringe of ice crystals by the time I got home - 52 miles on the clock - bonus miles due to taking the quieter routes that were nevertheless salt treated: Pleshey, Gt Waltham, Boreham, TMNH, Danbury; similar return, but via Chelmo. It got foggier NW of Chelmo, so I was glad to be on quieter roads, though it was hard to see the verge at times. I only had to do one emergency stop, just before I ran out of road  :o

« Reply #245 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:10:14 am »
You're all mad.

Where do I sign up for next week's frozen adventures  :thumbsup:

The Retiree

« Reply #246 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:14:34 am »
You're all mad.

Where do I sign up for next week's frozen adventures  :thumbsup:

You were missed Ted but I wouldn't of fancied a trip back to Mersea on my tod last night....

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #247 on: 21 January, 2016, 09:48:23 am »
It certainly was an epic frozen beard night by the time I got home... I thought the fog got worse than it was on the way out, I could just about see 2m in front at one point... but on the plus side, I managed to avoid the holes in the road at the A12 on slip between Hatfield Peveral and Boreham.  Shoe comfort appeared to be better and my gloves warmed up just as I was reaching HP so I was fairly comfortable for the ride home from there on wards.  A jolly night indeed!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #248 on: 21 January, 2016, 10:08:42 am »
A fixie is next on my list

I have a very nice Surly Steamroller which I'm thinking about selling........

Decided I need to make room and raise some cash for my next project.

« Reply #249 on: 21 January, 2016, 03:31:39 pm »
A fixie is next on my list

I have a very nice Surly Steamroller which I'm thinking about selling........

Decided I need to make room and raise some cash for my next project.
ooohhh.....I'm listening!