Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520654 times)

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #475 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:27:33 am »

Oh and I can proudly say I have never got public transport back from a MEMWNS evening event  ;D

Doggers Lane

Rode an extra loop one night while we were in the Cats.

You forgot to add 'doesn't know of this small ring that you all speak of for North Hill'

« Reply #476 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:32:22 am »
Ah, the old deflect and deny strategy.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #477 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:33:10 am »
hate to say it DL....You've opened yourself up to a world of hurt on the 'Legend' claim!  ;D

« Reply #478 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:34:19 am »

You forgot to add 'doesn't know of this small ring that you all speak of for North Hill'

Tomsk doesn't even have a cassette. I think he owns you on that as well.

« Reply #479 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:36:49 am »
Anyway....The Shark....I actually entered it yesterday. Who else is already entered and anyone got plans for getting to the start?

I'm kind of thinking the train would be the logical way to get there but I am not sure what parking is like around Cutty Sark Gardens.

3,200m of climbing, I am pretty sure that this ride will hurt more than the BCM!

The Retiree

« Reply #480 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:36:52 am »
hate to say it DL....You've opened yourself up to a world of hurt on the 'Legend' claim!  ;D

;D

Tomsk doesn't even have a cassette. I think he owns you on that as well.

I know I think they went out in the 90's it's all about ipods and the like now  ;D

« Reply #481 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:38:29 am »
Well if we are going to misunderstand technical terms then why is somebody who goes by the moniker "Doggers Lane" so pleased that he has a big ring ?

« Reply #482 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:40:47 am »
Anyway....The Shark....I actually entered it yesterday. Who else is already entered and anyone got plans for getting to the start?

I'm kind of thinking the train would be the logical way to get there but I am not sure what parking is like around Cutty Sark Gardens.

3,200m of climbing, I am pretty sure that this ride will hurt more than the BCM!

I will enter today now that you have bullied me into doing something about it.

Bobb is committed but not sure if he has booked yet.

He said there was parking near the start but that it was fairly limited.  Mind you, I think his start was 6am for the GMT ride we are a bit later so it might be tight.

Anyway we have 6 weeks to get ourselves in shape for climbing the Downs  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #483 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:41:30 am »

Oh go on then.  I will check the various diaries here and enter if all the ducks line up.  The train might be a good idea.

The Retiree

« Reply #484 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:42:45 am »
Well if we are going to misunderstand technical terms then why is somebody who goes by the moniker "Doggers Lane" so pleased that he has a big ring ?

It's merely a user name for me I get sick and tired of reminding you lot that you are the ones obsessed with this particular Lane  ::-)

The Retiree

« Reply #485 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:44:07 am »

I will enter today now that you have bullied me into doing something about it.

Bobb is committed but not sure if he has booked yet.

He said there was parking near the start but that it was fairly limited.  Mind you, I think his start was 6am for the GMT ride we are a bit later so it might be tight.

Anyway we have 6 weeks to get ourselves in shape for climbing the Downs  :facepalm:

Will you be doing this on fixed?

« Reply #486 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:46:29 am »

Oh go on then.  I will check the various diaries here and enter if all the ducks line up.  The train might be a good idea.
:thumbsup:

Just checking....you realise this is an Audax right?

« Reply #487 on: 18 February, 2016, 10:46:56 am »
I think it was the train bit that caught his eye.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #488 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:07:24 am »

Just checking....you realise this is an Audax right?

Yeah I know.  Or alternatively its a pleasant ride the the countryside.  I may or may not be that bothered about finishing within the time limit.  Once the weather starts to improve I shall be needing to ramp up the miles so this fits in well. 

Regarding logistics, I'll let you know, me and TCMR might stay over on the Friday night.

Oh and finally, if anyone ever needs secure bike storage near Liverpool St station let me know.  The folks I work for have a bike cage.

« Reply #489 on: 18 February, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
 :thumbsup: Did just think the hills would be good training for your tour anyway.

14h 08m time limit.....reckon you'll be fine anyway and you can get yourself a little AAA medal :thumbsup:

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #490 on: 18 February, 2016, 07:15:29 pm »
I sincerely hope that the reason for my enforced absence this week, on foot or two wheels, will not be repeated - you can blame TCMH's attention seeking. The puppy still needs to be introduced to mid walk refreshment stops!
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #491 on: 18 February, 2016, 07:30:22 pm »
You going to do The Shark then hugster?

Why's it called The Shark by the way?

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #492 on: 18 February, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »
You going to do The Shark then hugster?

Why's it called The Shark by the way?
i was replying to a ride report post for last night before all this recent posting nonsense  ::-)
Think I'm busy the weekend of the Shark, washing my hair or something like that...
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #493 on: 19 February, 2016, 09:23:18 pm »

I've entered.... hopefully my climbing legs will turn up on the day too!
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #494 on: 19 February, 2016, 09:27:17 pm »
Ah ffs trains replaced by buses on 9th....

" Buses replace trains between Shenfield and Chelmsford / Witham.

Some trains will call additionally at Billericay connecting with buses to / from Chelmsford / Witham.

"
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #495 on: 19 February, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
When I did the Greenwich Mean Climb (the 300 version of the Shark) I drove to the start and parked on Cade Road

That was a 6am start and it was empty at 5.30am when I arrived. I would imagine it would still be empty a little later.

Could always do some sort of Travelodge thing the night before?

Right... off to enter the Shark...

Edit: Entered :)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #496 on: 20 February, 2016, 05:10:29 pm »
Jiberjaber, where did you see the bit about the bus replacement service? Was it at the station? There website seems to say 09/04 is a normal day

HERE

I might well drive down early if it is the case though and find a cafe to get some breakfast.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #497 on: 20 February, 2016, 05:13:19 pm »
I did a quick train route check on my phone and there was a service alert for works at Romford

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/118150.aspx
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #498 on: 20 February, 2016, 08:56:12 pm »

well, not really but good to know!

« Reply #499 on: 22 February, 2016, 01:35:06 pm »
Well done to everyone who braved their way around the Brazier yesterday  :thumbsup:  I think we were represented by Tomsk, Sister Carol, Tippers and Jiberjaber.  The latter two ECE'd it and in Tippers' case this meant the successful conclusion to RRTY x2.

It should of course be noted that the legend that is DL was probably doing an equally gruelling session on the rollers with a windmachine turned up at full power.

For me the ride ended earlier than expected.  I am beginning to think the problem may be my unlucky top.  The first time I wore it I fell in a pothole and now an early bath on the ECE to the Brazier.

I duly turned up at Tipper Towers at too early for a windy Sunday morning o'clock and we set off into the wind.  It was all going well until Tippers uttered the fateful words, "well, we've got an hour and a half that should be plenty of time to cover the 25k to arrivee".  No sooner had he said this than my rear tyre started to deflate.

I can only excuse myself by saying that I felt under pressure to get on with things and not make Tippers late for the start of the calendar event but somewhere along the line I managed to put the wheel on incorrectly :facepalm:

As soon as I got back on and turned the pedals the chain kinked and the derailleur bent.  Cue me searching out tools and chain links while Tippers got on with the actual repairing.  With a bent derailleur and a chain missing too many links, I had to make the decision to abandon and pedal home with the gears I had left.  I felt doubly bad that not only had Tippers patiently stayed on to help to the point where he was under serious time pressure, but also he was continuing on his own anyway and might as well have just abandoned me to my fate.  Thanks Tippers  :thumbsup:

Assuming the parts turn up on time, I am hoping to persuade the Hustler to join me in riding the Horses for Courses on Saturday to tie in with Tomsk's helpers ride.  After all, when you are definitely not doing RRTY like the Hustler and me it is important that you fit in a few fun rides that happen to be 200km long.

On the subject of tyres, as I explained in the pub last week, I have even less patience than Tippers when it comes to tyres.  I have some Durano plus tyres on order with the other parts and these will be replacing the Michelins that were on the bike on Saturday.  The Vittoria Open Paves that I have on the Flyer have been very good this winter but I know that when they get to a certain mileage they just give up.