Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 522138 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1125 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:28:34 pm »
CC Sudbury are a proper Audaxing club with points-chasing ambitions in the past. The Straggler has an aim to beat a certain Mann in that club... :D

Maybe a few nearer to home, in the Chelmer or Essex Roads could be poached? We must work on those in a vulnerable post-audax state after the events.

« Reply #1126 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »
I like your thinking, catch people when they are vulnerable.

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #1127 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:31:37 pm »
CC Sudbury are a proper Audaxing club with points-chasing ambitions in the past. The Straggler has an aim to beat a certain Mann in that club... :D

We could nab them both

« Reply #1128 on: 18 May, 2016, 03:56:54 pm »
Also just changed  :)

How does one change ACP club which appears as "Locked"?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1129 on: 18 May, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »
I think it reopens and then locks again at the end of 2018.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #1130 on: 18 May, 2016, 04:13:26 pm »

Maybe a few nearer to home, in the Chelmer or Essex Roads could be poached? We must work on those in a vulnerable post-audax state after the events.

As a member of CCS, I'm sure they'd be glad to be rid of me.

Hmmm. Not selling myself to ACME very well, am I? Perhaps I'll just stick with the YACF virtual Audax community!

« Reply #1131 on: 18 May, 2016, 04:25:48 pm »
I've changed allegiance to ACME.

You are welcome to the 4 points I have to date...... :smug:

(which may double this weekend!)

« Reply #1132 on: 18 May, 2016, 05:03:26 pm »
I've never had a club listed on AUK before. Shall I put down ACME?

« Reply #1133 on: 18 May, 2016, 05:12:14 pm »
I've never had a club listed on AUK before. Shall I put down ACME?

Yes, yes you shall!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #1134 on: 18 May, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »
'Tis done!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1135 on: 18 May, 2016, 07:16:37 pm »
I have nailed my colours to the ACME mast too.  After The Shark I would imagine I can contribute some AAA points - or have I got this wrong?

« Reply #1136 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:20:18 am »
And we are now showing on the Club Points list...

« Reply #1137 on: 19 May, 2016, 09:41:40 am »
It seems that there is no helping some people.

Huggy the Navigator set us up with a flat and short ride out to the King Billy at Braintree last night. Whilst Huggy, the Hustler and I availed ourselves of an easy-paced trundle to the pub, Sister Carol and Tomsk, for whom the ride had been designed as a recovery from their efforts on the BCM, had other ideas.  We came across Sister Carol just before we got to the pub.  He was "recovering" with an 80k ride in the rain.  Meanwhile, Tomsk was off being intrepid somewhere and putting up extra signage for his new 400.  He eventually appeared at the pub nearer 10pm than the usual 9pm having doubtless ridden round half the county on his way there. 

Our merry band was completed by Jiberjaber who had made his own way from Chelmsford.  For those who follow Jiber's fashion guidance, he was in his late spring collection last night; specifically, 12-14 degrees with the possibility of showers in Gore.

First time at the King Billy for me.  It's a gem of a pub and well named too.  We sampled Arbor Gold (brewed in the pub), Tring's Brock Bitter and Nethergate's Mary's Ruby Mild.  All of them were excellent but the Brock edged the Quaffers' Choice as the session beer of the bunch.  The landlady even supplied us with popcorn.  I say us but Tomsk inhaled the whole bowl before we had really noticed it arriving.  Apparently it had been salad that evening at Tomsk Towers and he was in need of a top up.  Fortunately, the Hustler and I managed to secure our own bowl for our table for two.

Talk was of the sterling efforts by the ACME peloton in Wales at the BCM, the ACME micro pub and various off topic nonsense.  Later in the evening Huggy decided that we should have one of his grown up discussions about the future of ACME.  He can explain the detail somewhere but basically it revolved around money, insurance and being responsible.  Look at what happens when our resident mischief maker is stuck in Cardiff or Reading or somewhere out West.

Not only is the King Billy a gem but the ride back to Witham is basically downhill. I am not sure I really had to pedal at any point.  I did have a bit of sympathy for Sister Carol as he set off into the rain for his lonely ride back to Colchester.  I would have given him a lift but it's more fun watching him suffer  :thumbsup:

Next week it looks like ACME is heading to the wild west...

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1138 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:02:34 am »
It seems that there is no helping some people.

Huggy the Navigator set us up with a flat and short ride out to the King Billy at Braintree last night. Whilst Huggy, the Hustler and I availed ourselves of an easy-paced trundle to the pub, Sister Carol and Tomsk, for whom the ride had been designed as a recovery from their efforts on the BCM, had other ideas.  We came across Sister Carol just before we got to the pub.  He was "recovering" with an 80k ride in the rain.  Meanwhile, Tomsk was off being intrepid somewhere and putting up extra signage for his new 400.  He eventually appeared at the pub nearer 10pm than the usual 9pm having doubtless ridden round half the county on his way there. 

Our merry band was completed by Jiberjaber who had made his own way from Chelmsford.  For those who follow Jiber's fashion guidance, he was in his late spring collection last night; specifically, 12-14 degrees with the possibility of showers in Gore.

First time at the King Billy for me.  It's a gem of a pub and well named too.  We sampled Arbor Gold (brewed in the pub), Tring's Brock Bitter and Nethergate's Mary's Ruby Mild.  All of them were excellent but the Brock edged the Quaffers' Choice as the session beer of the bunch.  The landlady even supplied us with popcorn.  I say us but Tomsk inhaled the whole bowl before we had really noticed it arriving.  Apparently it had been salad that evening at Tomsk Towers and he was in need of a top up.  Fortunately, the Hustler and I managed to secure our own bowl for our table for two.

Talk was of the sterling efforts by the ACME peloton in Wales at the BCM, the ACME micro pub and various off topic nonsense.  Later in the evening Huggy decided that we should have one of his grown up discussions about the future of ACME.  He can explain the detail somewhere but basically it revolved around money, insurance and being responsible.  Look at what happens when our resident mischief maker is stuck in Cardiff or Reading or somewhere out West.

Not only is the King Billy a gem but the ride back to Witham is basically downhill. I am not sure I really had to pedal at any point.  I did have a bit of sympathy for Sister Carol as he set off into the rain for his lonely ride back to Colchester.  I would have given him a lift but it's more fun watching him suffer  :thumbsup:

Gone are the days of a nice early ride report published circa 6am deary me

« Reply #1139 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:03:50 am »
Gone are the days when you join us on a Wednesday evening.

The Retiree

« Reply #1140 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:05:44 am »
Gone are the days when you join us on a Wednesday evening.
I know good innit!

« Reply #1141 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:07:14 am »
Well, at least you don't have to stand outside with a lemonade and a pack of crisps while the adults are in the pub.

The Retiree

« Reply #1142 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:08:22 am »
Well, at least you don't have to stand outside with a lemonade and a pack of crisps while the adults are in the pub.
The added bonus of taking early retirement

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1143 on: 19 May, 2016, 10:20:23 am »
I was surprised by the downhill feel of my return journey too... maybe Braintree does have some hidden benefit after all!
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1144 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:22:22 pm »

Really?  Reading?  Cardiff?

« Reply #1145 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:26:17 pm »

Who knows, we put Tomsk in charge of navigation.  It could be a long ride  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1146 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:51:50 pm »

Who knows, we put Tomsk in charge of navigation.  It could be a long ride  :facepalm:

Is this to meet up with new friends?

« Reply #1147 on: 19 May, 2016, 12:54:31 pm »
It was your idea to spread our wings across the county.

Hopefully it might encourage a few westerners to join in  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1148 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »
It was your idea to spread our wings across the county.

Hopefully it might encourage a few westerners to join in  :thumbsup:

Excellent!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1149 on: 19 May, 2016, 01:49:26 pm »
I was doing a bit of a look see on Western options and noticed how poor in relation to the other CAMRA sites the SWE CAMRA site is, not a lot of info unless you're in Greys or Romford.  Is it really true that there isn't any good pubs west of Ingatestone / Norton Heath ???

I found this OK, might help in identifying Western pubs.... (though I would register I am perfectly happy with The Viper ;) )

https://whatpub.com/search?q=chipping+ongar&t=t&p=1&alt=&lat=51.7055&lng=0.245708&r=10&features=Pub%2COpen%2CRealAle%2CLocAle
Regards,

Joergen