Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2436254 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #5850 on: 07 November, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »
That's an early 90's (probably a 1992) Raleigh Peak.  :D  Retrobike has some scans of the catalogue.

I've got one that I bought from a charity shop for £15 - and it has a XT groupset (with XT thumbies), which I think dates it to 1993 or 4.  :smug:

I bought new, the LX equiped, purple painted 'Ridge' from this range back in 1995, but it got nicked from my garage.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5851 on: 07 November, 2012, 01:06:35 pm »
My son lives in Tooting and needs something to lock outside to a lamp-post (for his Tooting-Clapham commute).

Therefore nice shiny bikes are out. 

I got this rust-bucket off Ebay locally for £7

Rear mech is gone and wheels are shot but I can transplant any parts from my son's old Halfords MTB (he's had it since he was 13 so it's too small but parts are all OK).

Suggestions?  Single speed?  (use old mech as a tensioner).  It's a pan-flat area he lives in so MTB gearing is redundant.

Frame is Reynolds K2 (fairly basic stuff I think but it's pretty light).  I'm thinking it would be extremely light if I stripped it back to a Single-speed and gave it a coat of Hammerite.  Shame it's got vertical dropouts.

It has Deore thumb-shifters which seem really nice
K2 is apparently Cro-Mo with an octagonal internal profile. Nothing really fancy, but well above floor level.  Not a bad frame, IMO. Should be lighter & springier than a lot of the gas pipe fixies out there, & pretty robust. Perfect for an urban commuter bike. I see mudguard eyes.

Vertical dropouts aren't exactly single-speed friendly, but since you have an old mech you could use as a tensioner, you can overcome that problem without spending money. If I was doing that, I'd prefer to swap the triple crankset for a single. Leaving it on seems a waste, somehow, & adds a little weight.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #5852 on: 10 November, 2012, 03:33:17 pm »
Recently fettled retro-tastic Marin Bear Valley ca 1996,

Tyres kindly donated by Crinkly Lion   :-*. Much sportier than the 2.5" baloons they replaced.
Mudguards bodged from bits lying about, and a lot of zip ties.  :-\

Chain on big ring? Cranks in line with frame? Labels on tyres in line with valves?  Everybody happy?

If you look even more closely (and I know who you are), you'll see the results of a cheap 'n' nasty powder coat job about three years ago.  >:(

EDIT: And before anyone says anything, just let me nip out to the garage and adjust the curvature of the front mudguard.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #5853 on: 10 November, 2012, 03:57:23 pm »
Can't beat an old-school Marin ... I still miss my '92 Point Reyes, which eventually died of a broken frame (had been rewelded once, but the weld failed again after 8 years so it was time to say goodbye)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #5854 on: 10 November, 2012, 06:33:57 pm »
My daughter still has a Marin Bobcat,purchased for her 14th birthday,1994.The bike still provides sterling service & is also occassionaly used by her 13 y.o. daughter.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5855 on: 10 November, 2012, 07:23:53 pm »
Frame looks great.  Good choice of colour.
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #5856 on: 10 November, 2012, 07:35:41 pm »
Allow me to introduce you to Raffa-

My new Wilier Izoard XP Ultegra which I picked up today.

An Italian bike named for SWMBO's favourite Italian, Raffaele De Vita, who plays on the left wing for our beloved Swindon Town.

Not ridden yet. I'm leaving the spacer above the stem for the time being until I'm happy with the set up. The seat height will probably come down a bit too.

I think i'm in lurve 8)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5857 on: 10 November, 2012, 07:44:44 pm »
Sexy!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5858 on: 10 November, 2012, 07:47:12 pm »
Exterior Marmite inclusion. Nice work.

Looks lovely that. Got red brakes and everything!
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5859 on: 10 November, 2012, 09:23:35 pm »
No way would I admit to that set up, Fuzzy.

Marmite should only be in a jar, what were you thinking?

:thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #5860 on: 11 November, 2012, 12:12:35 am »

An Italian bike named for SWMBO's favourite Italian, Raffaele De Vita, who plays on the left wing for our beloved Swindon Town.

Not ridden yet. I'm leaving the spacer above the stem for the time being until I'm happy with the set up. The seat height will probably come down a bit too.

I think i'm in lurve 8)

Lovely  :P

« Reply #5861 on: 11 November, 2012, 01:03:55 pm »

I think i'm in lurve 8)

Wow!

That looks like it's moving,  even when it's standing still!

Ver' nice.

« Reply #5862 on: 11 November, 2012, 01:39:51 pm »
Looks lovely that. Got red brakes and everything!
Red brakes stop you faster!  8)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #5863 on: 12 November, 2012, 07:04:52 am »
Recently fettled retro-tastic Marin Bear Valley ca 1996,

Excellent stuff!  Glad to have been of assistance :)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #5864 on: 13 November, 2012, 09:16:37 pm »

Beautiful, I have the complete opposite to that bike called 'Ruffa' ;)

I think i'm in lurve 8)
"Don't stop pedalling"

Moose57

• Hippopotamus scandere potest colles
« Reply #5865 on: 13 November, 2012, 10:51:07 pm »

I think i'm in lurve 8)

Very, very nice  :thumbsup:

Moose57

« Reply #5866 on: 13 November, 2012, 10:56:10 pm »

Winter bike, Ribble Sportive frame with parts from my old Trek Pilot added. Very pleased with it.

fuzzy

« Reply #5867 on: 14 November, 2012, 08:59:23 am »

Winter bike, Ribble Sportive frame with parts from my old Trek Pilot added. Very pleased with it.

That is a nice looking bike :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5868 on: 14 November, 2012, 10:52:23 am »
Do the red bits go faster?  And is it a problem if the black bits can't keep up? ???
Getting there...

LEE

« Reply #5869 on: 14 November, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
When I can get the scales to read "12 stone 6lbs" I think I'll treat myself to something that resembles the Wilier or Ribble.  Something with less leather and Cotton Duck attached than my current fleet.

I imagine they must do about 10mph before you even start pedalling.

I've been using the Ribble Sportive Bianco as motivation for weight loss.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5870 on: 14 November, 2012, 01:09:21 pm »
When I can get the scales to read "12 stone 6lbs" I think I'll treat myself to something that resembles the Wilier or Ribble.  Something with less leather and Cotton Duck attached than my current fleet.

I imagine they must do about 10mph before you even start pedalling.

Yes, but sideways, and only if its windy :)

Moose57

« Reply #5871 on: 15 November, 2012, 05:10:54 pm »
Black bits seem more than capable of keeping up with red bits.

My scales can read 12st 6lbs, but not with me on them! More like 16st but never let that affect my buying decisions. I thought about the Bianco, looks like a very good deal. My frame is Aluminium and very light, ride is very comfortable.

I also have my Italian bling bike;

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #5872 on: 15 November, 2012, 07:53:40 pm »
Must be REALLY fast - red cranks, hubs, brakes, spoke!

Hmmmm, I do want a carbon bling bike very much. Am currently banned from n+1 - we are on a one in, one out policy now. Grrrrrr.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

fuzzy

« Reply #5873 on: 16 November, 2012, 08:32:18 am »
Hmmmm, I do want a carbon bling bike very much. Am currently banned from n+1 - we are on a one in, one out policy now. Grrrrrr.

Keep your eyes on local skips until you spy a dead BSO.

Sneak it closer to home on a daily basis until it lives in the shed/ garage for a week or so at the back of the stable of bikes.

Tell Significant Other that you want N+1 and are willing to sacrifice a current steed.

Surrender dead BSO.

Jobs a goodun :thumbsup:

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5874 on: 16 November, 2012, 09:28:27 am »

Keep your eyes on local skips until you spy a dead BSO.

Sneak it closer to home on a daily basis until it lives in the shed/ garage for a week or so at the back of the stable of bikes.

Tell Significant Other that you want N+1 and are willing to sacrifice a current steed.

Surrender dead BSO.

Jobs a goodun :thumbsup:

Most of the time we can do without it but this is another of those times when this place needs a like button!