Author Topic: Cutlery lust  (Read 115256 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Cutlery lust
« Reply #50 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:01:23 pm »
Not entirely clear in the photo, but she's wearing it on a black leather cord around the neck...

« Reply #51 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:26:56 pm »
Squints closely at picture, ah yes.

Waves Hi to Barakta  :thumbsup:

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #52 on: 31 August, 2010, 11:26:45 pm »
Cool :D :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #53 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:12:12 am »
Waves Hi to Barakta  :thumbsup:

*waves back*  :D

« Reply #54 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:15:09 am »
oooooooooh nice spork!
I am  awaiting delivery of my eBay one, it should be on its way from US at the moment :)

« Reply #55 on: 01 September, 2010, 07:43:52 am »
Yes, I took am awaiting spork delivery, but mine is being held up by other items on the order, which needed ordering in. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #56 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:10:04 am »
Crikey - a whole regiment of sporkers.

Perhaps we should form the YACF Irregulars? Armed to the teeth with viciously sharp hybrid eating utensils and ready to fight crime and injustice wherever we find it (as well as eating any spare cake that happens to be lying around).

Come on, it's a winner  :D
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #57 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:33:03 am »
I was using my Alpkit folding spork at the weekend. The spoon function works well, I didn't get a chance to try the stabbity prongs though.  The wire handle is OK, but can collapse if you stir your couscous the wrong way.

« Reply #58 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:33:14 am »
Perhaps we should form the YACF Irregulars? Armed to the teeth with viciously sharp hybrid eating utensils and ready to fight crime and injustice wherever we find it (as well as eating any spare cake that happens to be lying around).

Yebbut, you've already begged a cool name as the Sporkmother, the rest of us are just sidekicks, sporketeers as it were.

We should go for a group shot at the YACF Camping thingy (if my spork ever turns up...)

« Reply #59 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:53:24 am »
Will those of us with plastic sporks be allowed to join?
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #60 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:22:19 am »
Yes.  But don't expect to make the commissioned ranks.  A plastic spork is not the weapon of a gentleman...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:49:15 am »
I don't get this spork stuff. Proper spoon for me. If you want to save weight, take a kiddy's plastic one, as has been said. Fork is rarely necessary - anything you can eat with a fork usually tastes better eaten with fingers.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #62 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:37:14 pm »
If it needs stabbing, you need a knife, it it needs scooping, you need a spoon.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #63 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:49:06 pm »
You just don’t seem to get it, chaps.  We’re not talking about a mere piece of disposable cutlery here.  The spork is an ancient weapon of a gentleman traveller. Not as clumsy or random as a fork, nor as lumpen or inaccurate as a spoon; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age.  For over a thousand generations, spork bearers were the guardians of peace and justice whilst eating their dinner.

Before the dark times...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #64 on: 01 September, 2010, 01:59:23 pm »
One of the most important items a travelling Japanese warrior (or, for that matter, a monk) would carry was his chopsticks.  Miyamoto Musashi describes how to use chopsticks as weapons.

Sporks are just a Western version.
Getting there...

« Reply #65 on: 01 September, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
I've put it in the really terrible jokes thread, because that's where it belongs

spork history

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #66 on: 01 September, 2010, 02:30:44 pm »
*grone*

*hands Ham his coat*

« Reply #67 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »
Yes.  But don't expect to make the commissioned ranks.  A plastic spork is not the weapon of a gentleman...

I'm willing to stay in the ranks.  Cannon fodder, that's me. As long as I get cake.

I have got two sporks - a small one for eating with, and a big one for cooking with, courtesy of my sister last Christmas.  Does that count for anything?
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #68 on: 01 September, 2010, 08:30:29 pm »
One of the most important items a travelling Japanese warrior (or, for that matter, a monk) would carry was his chopsticks.  Miyamoto Musashi describes how to use chopsticks as weapons.

Takeshi Kitano's Hana Bi  has an gruesome depiction of this. A Yakuza heavy is hassling Our Hero during his lunch, and ends up with a chopstick through his eyeball..... :o

I hate to think what Charlotte would do to a similarly rude chap with a sharpened spork....

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #69 on: 10 September, 2010, 11:51:50 am »

I'm willing to stay in the ranks.  Cannon fodder, that's me. As long as I get cake.

I have got two sporks - a small one for eating with, and a big one for cooking with, courtesy of my sister last Christmas.  Does that count for anything?

Me too.  We have 3 (one each) Light My Fire plastic sporks and they're just fine.  I am tempted by a Ti spork but it's becoming a bit like following the herd.  Ti sporks are getting too cool and I ain't cool, nor do I want to be. 

If something needs cutting, poking or stabbing I've got my Frosts knife, failing that I've also got my Leatherman Surge.  With this selection if some chump needed to endure death by cutlery I reckon I'd cope.

The Mechanic

« Reply #70 on: 10 September, 2010, 02:02:18 pm »
Everything is a weapon in skillful hands Grasshopper

« Reply #71 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:29:56 pm »
Me too.  We have 3 (one each) Light My Fire plastic sporks and they're just fine.  I am tempted by a Ti spork but it's becoming a bit like following the herd.  Ti sporks are getting too cool and I ain't cool, nor do I want to be.  

If something needs cutting, poking or stabbing I've got my Frosts knife, failing that I've also got my Leatherman Surge.  With this selection if some chump needed to endure death by cutlery I reckon I'd cope.

On holiday in France this year, one of our group spotted some Opinel stainless steel knives in a box at a supermarket checkout, at a good price.  Until then, about half the group (of eight), had one. After that, we all did!

For the next few days, every lunchtime, when the cheese and bread and tomatoes were unpacked and needed slicing, there was a rush of people getting thier new knives out to play with....

Seamus, over on the Velo Vision forum, was telling us that he thought he'd mislaid his tent pegs on a recent trip, and had to make do with forks. I thought of this thread...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #72 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:31:15 pm »
Just got an email saying that my Ti Spork is delayed, so I won't have it in time for the YACF Camping Weekend. :(

I may have to go and find a cheap plastic one, so I won't be amongst the unsporked.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:41:54 pm »
I am also sporkless, and the Barbie cannon is out of action, so if we're anticipating a zombie attack I might have to borrow barakta's.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #74 on: 10 September, 2010, 08:48:37 pm »
I'll remain Sporkless and continue eating with my hands whilst lovingly fondling and warming my Spyderco Harpy in my pocket. :smug:
Old enough to know better!