Author Topic: Music/musicians I'll probably be sneered at for liking...  (Read 21654 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Music/musicians I'll probably be sneered at for liking...
« Reply #100 on: 06 April, 2009, 10:34:04 am »
Er...Tygers of Pan Tang :-[

OMG I had ALMOST forgotten about them....

I am afraid I must add to my already long list of shame with one that I remembered yesterday for some reason....

The Dixie Chicks, especially "Great Wide Open"

I've got my coat on and I am heading out the door right now
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #101 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:00:56 am »
Anyone know the link between Hawkwind and the Tygers?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #102 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:10:21 am »
No.  I don't.  Unless JJ Sykes gigged with them after Lizzy?
Getting there...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #103 on: 06 April, 2009, 11:37:34 am »
Anyone know the link between Hawkwind and the Tygers?

Yes...

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #104 on: 06 April, 2009, 12:07:27 pm »
Ah.  I did know the Tygers side of that link, but not the Hawkwind one.

Clever :)
Getting there...

LEL

« Reply #105 on: 06 April, 2009, 12:14:45 pm »
I've recently 'discovered' Pete Seeger.

Ok, so I need a life.....

« Reply #106 on: 29 July, 2009, 03:48:06 pm »
Resurrecting this thread:

Lady Gaga. I'm sure I should hate her for her lack of fashion sense, her insistance in not eating enough pies and wearing little more than a bizzarely-cut bikini in most performances, her vulgar self-promotion, and a number of other things.

And yet... I can't help liking all the songs of hers which I have heard so far, and admiring her business acumen (in much the way I admire the business sense of Paris Hilton and Katie Price, but that's a different thread entirely). I'm probably going to go and buy The Fame, even though I am sneering at myself for considering it.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #107 on: 29 July, 2009, 03:58:25 pm »
I've recently 'discovered' Pete Seeger.

Ok, so I need a life.....

You need to find Peter, Paul and Mary,

I admit I am the wrong generation to like Pentangle (born 10 years after they split) but was more than disappointed when they refused to do Jack O'Ryan as the encore when I saw them live last year.

It is a 17 minute track though and I think some of them were feeling their age.

Zoidburg

« Reply #108 on: 29 July, 2009, 04:09:51 pm »
I know you are only supposed to like them if you are called Wayne, have a mullet haircut and live on the largest council estate in Stoke On Trent...but I must admit that I have listened to Guns N Roses in the last few months.

« Reply #109 on: 29 July, 2009, 04:14:09 pm »
I know you are only supposed to like them if you are called Wayne, have a mullet haircut and live on the largest council estate in Stoke On Trent...but I must admit that I have listened to Guns N Roses in the last few months.

Appetite for destruction is one of the great albums of the hard rock genre. Shame about the other shite they did.

All bands that I like are cool....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

alan

« Reply #110 on: 29 July, 2009, 04:19:20 pm »

I used to

Have done for a while

iakobski

« Reply #111 on: 29 July, 2009, 04:36:09 pm »
Ewan MacColl.

I have to listen to it when everyone's out, Mrs ARO switches it off if she's in.

For the youngsters here, he's the one who wrote The Pogue's  Dirty Old Town, The Ballad of Accounting, and First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #112 on: 29 July, 2009, 04:52:45 pm »
Ewan MacColl.

...For the youngsters here, he's the one who wrote The Pogue's  Dirty Old Town, The Ballad of Accounting, and First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.

And fathered the wonderful Kirsty :thumbsup:

Though he didn't stick around for long...
Getting there...

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #113 on: 29 July, 2009, 07:02:27 pm »

Lady Gaga. I'm sure I should hate her for her lack of fashion sense, her insistance in not eating enough pies and wearing little more than a bizzarely-cut bikini in most performances, her vulgar self-promotion, and a number of other things.

Clearly she can't be a cyclist if she doesn't eat pies, but from my point of view I can't see much wrong with the rest.  And I like her music as well.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #114 on: 29 July, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
Ewan MacColl.

I have to listen to it when everyone's out, Mrs ARO switches it off if she's in.

Oh he is fab! Plus, as Clarion quite rightly put it, he gave us the wonderful Kirsty MacColl.

When I was 18 at Uni I discovered Ani di Franco - yes she can be ranty but she is bloody wonderful and some of her songs will remain with me for the rest of my life.

« Reply #115 on: 07 April, 2011, 11:56:38 am »
Resurrecting an old thread: i found myself close to purchasing the Rhianna single S&M yesterday.  :-[
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #116 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:12:14 pm »
Thread resurrection: We Loves It.

Anyway, I see up there ^, that someone was liking Pete Seeger.  I bough a double CD of his a couple of weeks ago - American Industrial Ballads.  Lucky are those who hear me joining in, fortissimo, to things like "Mary don't you weep", "Frankie and Johhny" and "Old Dan Tucker".
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #117 on: 07 April, 2011, 12:31:00 pm »
I get no end of laughter from the other half when, as I am working in the kitchen on a weekend, Planet Rock starts playing Status Quo records, and I start singing along....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #118 on: 07 April, 2011, 01:08:16 pm »
It's legitimate to like Pete Seeger, especially among folk singing banjo players.

Flying_Monkey

« Reply #119 on: 07 April, 2011, 01:42:27 pm »
I was going through this thread thinking how little I could find to 'sneer' at. In the end, if you like it, you like it.

I've got what I think is a pretty broad range of taste in 'popular music' (jazz, classical and other things too, but let's leave them for now).

I can listen to any amount of shiney disposable pop. I love the joie de vivre of 70s disco-soul like Earth, Wind and Fire. I can drown in the vocal style and the sheer unapologetic romanticism of people like Glenn Campbell. I can go for the anger and teenage kicks of punk. I like the seedy glamour of the new romantics like Soft Cell. Hip-hop has beats, rhymes - and a reality to it that moves me in much the same way that the best folk music does. I love the songwriting and wry wit of Brit-pop, old and new (from The Kinks through XTC to Blur and Super Furry Animals). I can apreciate the musicianship in speed metal as much as the intricacies of flamenco (and as Rodrigo and Gabriela have shown, they aren't that far apart). I like the commitment to minimalism and space that characterises things from Krautrock to trip-hop. I love individuality and experimentalism of oddballs like Bjork, Sufjan Stevens and Owen Pallett. Even Travis and Coldplay at their best do melody well, and I can go for melody. And so on. I don't apologise for any of it, whatever anyone else thinks, however much anyone sneers.

However, there are just a few things I just can't listen to:

1. sheer middle-of-the-road crapness that hints at the worst kind of Andrew-Lloyd Webbery musical, e.g. Meatloaf. There are people who have managed to combine 'musical' vocal style with some grandeur and pop sensibility - look at Arthur Lee of Love, who married Johnny Mathis to psychedelia, but Meatloaf in comparison just seems a lumbering musical halfwit;

2. Twiddly stuff with screeching vocalists singing laughably pretentious lyrics (e.g. Rush). Sorry, but I just can't go there. It's like  someone reading from an interminable sub-Tolkein fantasy trilogy while scraping their nails down a blackboard. 

It's not that I sneer at people who like these things, but I don't understand how the people who listen to them can do it. That's all.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #120 on: 07 April, 2011, 01:48:17 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread: i found myself close to purchasing the Rhianna single S&M yesterday.  :-[

Keep to the subject title please!
Pen Pusher

LEE

« Reply #121 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:36:44 am »
"Toxic" by Britney Spears.  I have to say I think it's a great track.
"Goodbye to Love" by The Carpenters.  Great voice and one of the first guitar solos that ever caught my attention.
Several Jim Reeves songs.  Great voice
Several Patsy Cline songs. Great voice

I can't "come out" and say I like Britney, The Carpenters, Jim Reeves and Patsy Cline because they all produced some awful dross (disposible pop, sugar-sweet pop and C&W...I mean ..yeuch), but, when they were good, they were very good.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #122 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:43:38 am »
Didn't Otway & Barrett come from Aylesbury?

I think that's a canard.

Quacking!
It is simpler than it looks.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #123 on: 08 April, 2011, 09:51:21 am »
Take That

Girls Aloud

Glen Campbell

Matt Monro

… excuse for a while, I need to rummage through the dark recesses of my brain for others to confess to!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #124 on: 08 April, 2011, 11:09:24 am »
Clodagh Rogers. It's those legs, She looks like she would have been handy over 25 miles.

YouTube
        - Eurovision 1971 - United Kingdom