Author Topic: Last minute ball aches...  (Read 9380 times)

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
Re: Last minute ball aches...
« Reply #25 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:43:37 pm »
Packed bag... heavier than it was for the 600 I did on the basis of carrying "everything"
a travel towel and passport can't  be all "that" heavy... can it?

« Reply #26 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:12:26 pm »
EHIC card out of date!! - Applied for a renewal today you never know it might be processed in time.

rob

« Reply #27 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:16:01 pm »
Half a day of work.

I’ve got to make it to Friday lunchtime.

Phil W

« Reply #28 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:33:47 pm »
It's what I liked about the ride down and back last time. It bookended PBP really well and you settle in riding in France on the way down before the shock of the huge pelotons of  PBP at night.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #29 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »
Bloody hotel won't take my pre-paid card for on-line check in.
Must find away to save that (currently) 8 quid...

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #30 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:35:58 pm »
It's what I liked about the ride down and back last time. It bookended PBP really well and you settle in riding in France on the way down before the shock of the huge pelotons of  PBP at night.

I'm hoping the ride down gives me the chance of
1) getting used to being on the wrong side of the road
2) getting used to Prioritee a' droit

If 200km isn't enough for that... I'm in trouble.

Phil W

« Reply #31 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:40:12 pm »

I'm hoping the ride down gives me the chance of
1) getting used to being on the wrong side of the road
2) getting used to Prioritee a' droit

If 200km isn't enough for that... I'm in trouble.

If you're struggling just drink more Normandie Cider and it'll come right.  Which ferry are you on?

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #32 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:11:45 pm »
Thursday night to Ouistream.
I'm teetotal so Cidre is out the question.

Iroiromono is riding down with me as far as Houdan and is more than used to being on the "wrong side" so hoping he can keep me right until I get the hang of it.

« Reply #33 on: 13 August, 2019, 09:56:56 pm »
EHIC card out of date!! - Applied for a renewal today you never know it might be processed in time.

Same here, I always thought they were for life, till I saw your posting and mine expired 12 months ago. So applied for a new one and got all the details that will cover me as you do not need the card, so long as your registered.

simonp

« Reply #34 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:04:38 pm »
You don't need the physical card, as zacklaws has noted. So should be fine. You should have suitable travel insurance as well, don't rely on the EHIC alone.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #35 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:23:11 pm »
Cleaned up the bike last night in preparation for boxing it up.
Checked the chain. Bit late for that, isn't it dear?
It's off the scale on the wear gauge!

Ride into town today and pick up a new chain.
I expect the cassette is goosed too, but I have an almost-new 10-spd cassette which got taken off my TT wheel when the wheel went onto my new 11-spd TT bike.

I'll give it a horse round a short hilly loop tomorrow.
I have plenty of plan-B hardware.

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:59:35 am »
Thought my cassette was good when changed chan ride last night proved otherwise. Thought I had order 24h delivery for new cassette which when I pressed Collect+ changed to normal delivery time which will be too late. Just done a dumpster dive for the old chain. It was not too worn so with an old cassette should be no problem.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #37 on: 14 August, 2019, 04:44:20 pm »
You don't need the physical card, as zacklaws has noted. So should be fine. You should have suitable travel insurance as well, don't rely on the EHIC alone.

Check insurance carefully, some say you don't need the EHIC, some say you must have it, some will simply ramp up the excess if you don't have one.

Phil W

« Reply #38 on: 14 August, 2019, 05:46:08 pm »
Topped up tubeless sealant, and oiled chain, adjusted disc brake pads.  Only a ball ache as I was waiting for the rain to stop before I could do it outside.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: 14 August, 2019, 06:50:53 pm »
Train I'm getting to Aberdeen (sleeper costs the same from Aberdeen or here so...) is running 40 mins late.

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:36:27 pm »
Train I'm getting to Aberdeen (sleeper costs the same from Aberdeen or here so...) is running 40 mins late.

:facepalm:

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #41 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:43:05 am »
Made it with 13 mins to spare.
Di2 stopped working last night, but seems to have given it a kick start now.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #42 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:26:01 am »
Snapped one of the headlight wires going into my dynamo plug last night while parking the bike, just as it was getting dark. It’s a captive SON coax that I specially reterminated a few days ago.

Swapped my camera mount and Di2 status screen in the hope of creating a bit more handspace on the tops. Instead I have a wound on the bottom of my right thumb from the sharp corner on the Di2 thingy.

The right bearing on my Shimano dynamo hub is completely knackered - seriously considering acquiring a plain wheel or a Decathlon cheapie dynamo.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #43 on: 16 August, 2019, 12:42:07 pm »
Discovering how difficult it was to remove the excess seats from the ‘box on wheels’. Finished getting them out near 11pm but the tandem and solo fit in upright without removing their wheels. Only minor blood loss in the process.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #44 on: 16 August, 2019, 09:56:59 pm »
Wire has been repaired. Spanners have been acquired and successfully took the play out of the dynamo hub. Handlebars rearranged. Things are looking up.

simonp

« Reply #45 on: 16 August, 2019, 11:15:55 pm »
Uber did not turn up to take me to the ACB coach meet up. My friend Josh who I stayed with overnight in Bristol gave me a lift and saved the day.

simonp

« Reply #46 on: 17 August, 2019, 12:19:56 am »
ACP have announced a route change in the final stage due to roadworks.

#Pbp2019 Change of course!!! Due to recent work, the return journey between Dreux and the Bergerie Nationale de Rambouillet has been adapted, at the height of the municipality of Marsauceux, Centre, France. Even if the new arrows has been deployed, and the new trace is online from the pbp website, each participant must be very careful.

Of course my garmin is already loaded. But I was able to find the revised route on open runner, download on my phone, upload to ride with gps and trace it to generate cue points. Will download to the garmin tomorrow.

« Reply #47 on: 17 August, 2019, 11:19:44 am »
Anyone know where I can get a rear derailleur hanger in paris today??

« Reply #48 on: 17 August, 2019, 01:46:03 pm »
Have made a plan, but am going to be late to the bike check now. How late does the bike check go on for?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 17 August, 2019, 05:23:57 pm »
Which derailleur hanger? There are lots of shapes to choose from.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...