Author Topic: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...  (Read 12487 times)

Re: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
« Reply #50 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:22:31 am »
I'm also pretty sure there used to be some CTC rides like:

Ugley -> Nasty -> Ugley 100km ride.

Some people on LFGSS were also trying to set up an Ugley -> Twatt (Orkney) ride which would make a rather interesting 1000.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #51 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:29:53 am »
I think the ideal would have to be a ride starting in Crackpot, lunch stop in Sandwich, dinner stop in Beer, sleep stop in Land of Nod, Breakfast in Hungry Law before a climb to Twydall and finishing in Happy Bottom.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #52 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:36:08 am »
Anyone care to add up that distance? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #53 on: 08 September, 2009, 04:21:00 pm »

[/quote]

Really, because I was quite taken with the notion of a Middleton Stoney-Stoney Middleton-Middleton Stoney ride, or a ride taking in a selection of Little Londons that could be billed as Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London

Mind you, the latter would not have helped the OP.

[/quote]

As I live in Little London this ride could have some appeal but only if it starts at the right one otherwise it could be a long day.

Others have commented on wanting to know where the rides go to, all the ones i've done go to the same place you started from.

Some pointers of the route on the Calendar would be useful - locations of main controls etc will give you an indication.  I did the Willy Warmer in January from Chalfont St Peter and nothing in the title led me to realise it went past the end of my road with 70k to go.

Having said all that it is good to get the routesheet and see where you are ending up when doing new rides.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #54 on: 08 September, 2009, 04:27:19 pm »
If your ride were to go through Little London in Leeds, you wuold want to keep going as fast as possible!
Getting there...

« Reply #55 on: 08 September, 2009, 05:32:13 pm »
The Gazetteer of British Place Names is your friend here.
Longway bank (Whatstandwell), Middletown (Moreton Morrell, and just over half way), Nearton End (Swanbourne, and yes only 30k to go), Dunstable anyone?

I like the names - differentiating El-S rides based on place names would be a nightmare. The map link in the calendar usually works to find the start for me. But, especially for perms, some indication of nearest towns / stations on the route would make picking something plausible a whole lot easier.

Bones

• Oh dear!
« Reply #56 on: 08 September, 2009, 07:49:23 pm »
When I first started cycling and joined a club, I kept hearing of the "Cotswold Corker" and "Cheltenham Flyer". The names intrigued me and got me asking questions and interested in taking up the challenge of doing audax rides. So, they don't tell you always to where you will be going but that too is part of the fun. Waiting for the routesheet and plotting it out on the OS maps is part of the build up for me. As is counting all those little black arrows!

When chatting with non-cycling friends and colleagues, I find the names get them interested too. You can have a much more interesting conversation about the "Kidderminster Killer" especially if you forget yourself and use the local diminutive for Kidderminster :o "Cider with Rosie" sounds like a nice evening at home with Mrs Bones and brings back memories of English Lit. at school. It also does give a clue as to the country the ride is heading for. God preserve us from it being called the SP65/200 or some such.
There are no steep hills - just puny legs and the wrong gears :D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #57 on: 08 September, 2009, 07:54:32 pm »
God preserve us from it being called the SP65/200 or some such.
Genius! Until now I had no idea what to call next year's

"DD09-494"

Thanks Bones!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #58 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:04:56 pm »

"Cider with Rosie" sounds like a nice evening at home with Mrs Bones and brings back memories of English Lit. at school. It also does give a clue as to the country the ride is heading for. God preserve us from it being called the SP65/200 or some such.

The Perm version is SP36 but I also know it as 'Thames and Avon 200'.  So Cider with Rosie 200 is Thames + Avon + Slad Valley.  If you stop off at The Woolpack Inn, you might well have a nice evening but you might finish (?) out of time.  The 100 is more Thames (well Coln tributary actually) + Slad Valley.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #59 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:18:10 pm »
You could have one from Swindon:  "Get The Hell Out Of Dodge 600", 600km being enough to get you to another country.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #60 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:35:04 pm »

"DD09-494"

Thanks Bones!

Might I respectfully suggest you use 10 instead of 09?

Bones

• Oh dear!
« Reply #61 on: 09 September, 2009, 01:16:08 pm »

"DD09-494"

Thanks Bones!

you could but that would take all the fun out of guessing not only where the ride was but whether some form of TARDIS might be required on-board my bike too ;D

Cleary the next "must have" Garmin add-on
There are no steep hills - just puny legs and the wrong gears :D

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #62 on: 09 September, 2009, 01:34:42 pm »

"DD09-494"

Thanks Bones!
you could but that would take all the fun out of guessing not only where the ride was but whether some form of TARDIS might be required on-board my bike too ;D

Cleary the next "must have" Garmin add-on
I shall respectfully consider your suggestion. However, you two should probably avoid some other 2010 events - a quick look at the Events Clash page produces:
 18 Jul 10 Sun  200 Aldbrough St. John, SW of Darlington      Nigel Hall           D07-928 BRM
:)
(I have no idea where these codes come from, so don't blame me.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles