Author Topic: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...  (Read 12493 times)

gordon taylor

I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
« on: 25 November, 2008, 09:29:32 pm »
I know that Audax rides generally have a name: "The Snow Roads" and "Tinsel and Lanes" are just two examples of many that have been mentioned many times on this board.

Am I the only one to find this confusing? Why don't we just call them the Tamworth 200? or the Pitlochry 300? ( I don't know if the Snow Roads starts at Pitlochry, sorry, but you get the gist.)

The naming seems a bit mystical/cliquey to me. I have never any idea which route I'm on, but I know where I start and finish.

I don't mean to offend anyone by this post, but I've just had to open the Audax calendar to check whether I've entered the rides beng discussed here; I don't recognise the titles.

Re: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2008, 09:31:36 pm »
I see your point, but I really like the names, they're often really attractive. And there might be several 'Pitlochry 200's (or whatever) in a year,  so it would be confusing?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2008, 09:40:11 pm »
I like little jokes and puns.
Long live creative titles!

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2008, 09:43:39 pm »
Would  it help if I renamed the Kernow & Southwest 600 the 'Exeter'?

« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2008, 09:44:38 pm »
You'd get confused with all the Forfar 100s, 150s, 200s in 2009 for starters!
And Kirriemuir 300 (Snow Roads starts in Kirriemuir  ;)), Kirriemuir 200, Kiririemuir 150(?) and Kirriemuir shorter than that...

..I noted the ride certificates on AUK website name the start town rather than the name of the event  ???

DanialW

« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:05:43 pm »
Why don't we just call them the Tamworth 200? or the Pitlochry 300?

Because that would be a bit boring.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »
Wouldn't they all end up "the chilly dawn car-park 200"?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:08:19 pm »
I'd rather ride the Kidderminster Killer & the Elenith than the Kidderminster 200 & 300 :)

y lee g

« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:11:23 pm »
Or the "Abbey National Cash Machine nearest my house" DIY 200 / 300 / 400 / 600  :hand:  :D

None of which compete with calendar events. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:12:06 pm »
One of the reasons I rode the Anfractuous was because it has such an attractive name. If it had just been the Chalfont St. Peter Autumn 200 I might not have bothered.

And there must be a limit to the number of Ugley rides anyone can stomach.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:12:51 pm »
..I noted the ride certificates on AUK website name the start town rather than the name of the event  ???
..as does the AUK calendar:
300  06 Jun  Kirriemuir    The Snow Roads
   06:00  Sat  AA2.25  [4800m]  BR  £8.00   

BTW, Gordy, as the Snow Roads organiser, I'm not in the least offended by your post: to be associated with yACF Ecosse, it's a requirement to have a thick skin.  ;D
Hope to see you in Kirriemuir in June for the Snow Roads.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

border-rider

« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2008, 10:17:36 pm »
Or the "Abbey National Cash Machine nearest my house" DIY 200 / 300 / 400 / 600  :hand:  :D

None of which compete with calendar events. 

even when we rode a DIY perm 600 based on the BCM we called it Yr  Chwech Cant

« Reply #12 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:06:02 am »
I prefer to give my rides a name which gives a general idea of the area the riders are heading for. Since I live on the edge of a middle range mountain area the riders wish to know if they have to arrive with insanely low gears or they can leave their flatland gearing on ;)

« Reply #13 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:44:35 am »
Tinsel and Lanes does go down Tinsel Lane near the start,   ;)

It was for a short period called Tinsel Lane and Lanes.  But that was a bit of a mouth full so was shortened to Tinsel and Lanes.

There are 3 Tamworth 200's and I frequantly have entries for all of them early in the new year.  It is not unknown to have an entry for next years Tinsel and Lanes before the running of this years, for example.  So it could get very confusing.

It also means that I can offer the essentially the same route twice,  Tinsel and Lanes and Two Battles are very largly the same route but one in Dec (hard) and the other in May (easier) also very different.

When I am riding somone else's ride I enjoy not knowing what lies in store for me.   ;)

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #14 on: 26 November, 2008, 07:37:26 am »
Alas I've yet to ride my Mothers Pride 300 DIY (to visit my mum!)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #15 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:06:47 am »
The Faccombe Haul just wouldn't be the same. The descriptive title tells you a little bit more about the ride and lets face it - its fun.
Owner of a languishing Langster

ChrisO

« Reply #16 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:16:34 am »
To join the chorus... I love the names.

And I know it's a sportive rather than an audax but the Ride of the Falling Leaves has romance, beauty and seasonality, as does the Brass Monkey.

The Herne Hill Velodrome Sportive or the Coulsdon 100 would not be quite the same.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #17 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:17:37 am »
The Mid Sussex Hilly is (a) in Mid Sussex and (b) Hilly.

However, I understand Martin has a groan making pun lined up for the Hillier version next year.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

alan

« Reply #18 on: 26 November, 2008, 08:58:33 am »
The Mid Sussex Hilly is (a) in Mid Sussex and (b) Hilly.

However, I understand Martin has a groan making pun lined up for the Hillier version next year.

The Mud Sexiess perhaps? :demon:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #19 on: 26 November, 2008, 09:11:06 am »
That's an excellent name for an audax, Alan. I think you are no obliged to devise a suitable route and organise it! ;)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #20 on: 26 November, 2008, 09:32:37 am »
At least the names give us a clue what rides to avoid.i.e anything with the name Killer,or Beast in the title,.Probably organised by some psycho into s&m :demon:

« Reply #21 on: 26 November, 2008, 09:44:06 am »
And I know it's a sportive rather than an audax but the Ride of the Falling Leaves has romance, beauty and seasonality,

There used to be a "falling leaves" audax out of Winchcombe but it doesn't seem to have been run this year.

When wanting to ride in a particular area I sometimes find the names more helpful than the start points.

My club runs events from two locations on both of which the 100k has had to be split into anticlockwise and clockwise versions due to the number of entrants. If we could only publish start location and distance it would be confusing.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #22 on: 26 November, 2008, 09:56:25 am »
I often hear people say that they would like to do an Audax, but are put off because they don't know what to expect at controls, or are afraid that they might be too slow, get lost, <insert other excuse here>. I was thinking that maybe some of us could organise a ride aimed at newcomers where we could ride round with them and be their buddy for the day, helping them to understand how an Audax works, whilst passing on a bit of advice on long distance riding at the same time.

It would probably be best to choose a 100km ride and I thought the ride could be called -

The ride of 100 virgins

ChrisO

« Reply #23 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:01:21 am »

The ride of 100 virgins

Shame it's a bit late in the year but ideally it would be held around the feast day of St Ursula, October 21.

« Reply #24 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:13:08 am »
Given the level of inexperence you would want to limit the numbers.  To around 24, I'd suggest.  Inverness would be an ideal start point.