Author Topic: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...  (Read 12476 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: I wish Audax rides were just named after the start point...
« Reply #25 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:15:49 am »
Given the level of inexperence you would want to limit the numbers.  To around 24, I'd suggest.  Inverness would be an ideal start point.

;D ;D ;D

DanialW

« Reply #26 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:15:59 am »
Falling Leaves will be back in 2009. As soon as the new organisers sorts out his controls, I'll put it on the online calendar.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #27 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:21:12 am »
LEL sounds much more interesting than Cheshunt-Dalkeith-Cheshunt (Cue cries of 'Where in the world are Cheshunt and Dalkeith?!?').  ;)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 26 November, 2008, 01:18:36 pm »
Falling Leaves will be back in 2009. As soon as the new organisers sorts out his controls, I'll put it on the online calendar.

:thumbsup: That's a good ride.

There was an article in Arrivee about event names a few years ago which included some amusing ones and discussed the variations between the creative "Aparagus & Strawberries" type thing and the matter-of-fact "Denmead 200"'s...

I'm in the former camp. The names are pretty useful. If you enter the Dartmoor Devil you know it's one to leave the fixie in the bikeshed.

If we have to have boring names I'd rather thay were based on destination not start place. The start place is obvious from the calendar but sometimes it's nice to know where they are going before you enter.
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

« Reply #29 on: 26 November, 2008, 01:40:57 pm »
If we have to have boring names I'd rather thay were based on destination not start place. The start place is obvious from the calendar but sometimes it's nice to know where they are going before you enter.

Agreed.

I entered the Beast from the East as it was the only PBP 600 qualifier I could sensibly get to.

For some reason I thought it went from Waltham Abbey up to Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambridgeshire.

Opening bikely when the route had been added in was a bit of a shock to the system.

DanialW

« Reply #30 on: 26 November, 2008, 03:00:47 pm »

I'm alarmed, not only at the number of calendar events I enter without knowing where I'll be going, but at the number of events that I complete having had no idea where I've been. I've ridden a couple of events that head in the vague direction of the Forest of Bowland. Other than that, I couldn't tell you anything about them other than they were hilly, with lots of pretty scenery.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 26 November, 2008, 03:25:02 pm »
The old A-B-A titles were helpful but uninspiring.
I suppose tracing the route onto a paper prior to departure meant I was not without Clue.

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #32 on: 26 November, 2008, 03:28:59 pm »

Agreed, but I find Paris-Brest-Paris is more inspiring less uninspiring than 'The Paris 1200'.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #33 on: 26 November, 2008, 03:35:48 pm »

Agreed, but I find Paris-Brest-Paris is more inspiring less uninspiring than 'The Paris 1200'.

34.25 times around le Boulevard Périphérique de Paris?  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #34 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:04:57 pm »

I'm alarmed, not only at the number of calendar events I enter without knowing where I'll be going,

Fear not Danial (and others) - I've tried very hard to give you a clue with a some of my rides for next year. "Mr. Pickwick's tour of the Cotswolds" is a tour of the Cotswolds, another is "Mr Pickwick goes to Hay in a day" - which goes to Hay-on-Wye.

And the Mr. Pickwick connection is used because according to Charles Dickens - he did end-up in Tewkesbury (albeit drinking too much ale), this is of course optional at th end of the audax.

And although my "Rough Diamond" doesn't give too many other clues, it does follow a diamond shaped route - roughly.

Does this help???
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

LEE

« Reply #35 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:19:45 pm »
The Faccombe Haul just wouldn't be the same. The descriptive title tells you a little bit more about the ride and lets face it - its fun.

It does start from Faccombe though.

« Reply #36 on: 26 November, 2008, 05:39:45 pm »
The Faccombe Haul just wouldn't be the same. The descriptive title tells you a little bit more about the ride and lets face it - its fun.

The name aptly describes the final climb to the finish control... F****** H***

Quote from: Danial Webb
I'm alarmed, not only at the number of calendar events I enter without knowing where I'll be going, but at the number of events that I complete having had no idea where I've been.

No danger of that for me. Getting a routesheet through the post is as good a reason as any to get the old OS maps spread out across the dining table and settle down with a beverage or two. Almost as much fun as riding the event  :)
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:48:42 pm »
And the Mr. Pickwick connection is used because according to Charles Dickens - he did end-up in Tewkesbury (albeit drinking too much ale), this is of course optional at th end of the audax.

Does this help???
I think that's a lovely naming convention. Sadly it only helps those AUKs who know their Classics (literature not routes).

Perhaps Arrivee or AukWeb should have an Events Lore Guide for the newcomer (which should include summat about that Bryan bloke ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #38 on: 26 November, 2008, 06:59:18 pm »

Agreed.

I entered the Beast from the East as it was the only PBP 600 qualifier I could sensibly get to.

For some reason I thought it went from Waltham Abbey up to Norfolk/Suffolk/Cambridgeshire.

Opening bikely when the route had been added in was a bit of a shock to the system.

That brings back memories Nutty.
PBP year 1999, a new event on the scene named, "The Albion."
Entry was full, so I couldn't ride.
Then people dropped out and I had a space, so I turned up to the start to collect my routesheet and set off on my 102" fixed.
I never expected it to go around Bath and up all those steep hills :o
Twas a fantastic ride though :thumbsup:

I like these odd names.
It would be nice to know where rides went before you entered them though.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #39 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:14:25 pm »
I like the names of the rides - the calendar tells you where the start is anyway. What really bugs me is the list of Perms on the AUK website. It seems it is down to the individual organiser to decide whether or not to give you any clue as to where the route might start from. The option to limit a search to an area (e.g. Scotland & the North) doesn't seem to work, as sometime Scottish routes aren't there, whilst routes that clearly aren't in Scotland are listed.

When that BNP membership list was leaked the other day it seemed to appear on the web as a detailed map within a matter of hours. Couldn't some computer boffin here do the same for the Perm list? Please?
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #40 on: 26 November, 2008, 10:16:44 pm »
When that BNP membership list was leaked the other day it seemed to appear on the web as a detailed map within a matter of hours. Couldn't some computer boffin here do the same for the Perm list? Please?

Maybe we need a few BNP members rather than PBP members...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #41 on: 27 November, 2008, 07:42:17 pm »
I like the names of the rides - the calendar tells you where the start is anyway. What really bugs me is the list of Perms on the AUK website. It seems it is down to the individual organiser to decide whether or not to give you any clue as to where the route might start from.
With the perms, it would be even more useful to have a vague route outline, as the majority can be started from various points.

We discussed options for this on YACF once, but there were obstacles. I mentioned the issue to Peter Coates, who was sympathetic - I suggest people keep badgering him :D. What we need is a method that doesn't require the organiser to do any work if they don't want to, IMHO, e.g. a wiki-type thing.

As things stand, I shall NOT be entering any perms, apart from those based on rides I know, and those that come recommended with some details. It's just too much trouble finding out about them. DIYs are now the easier option ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #42 on: 08 September, 2009, 12:30:39 am »
With perms, this is a major bugbear of mine.  When I look on the AUK site to see if there any I want to ride, I'm confronted with a number of events that have nondescriptive titles and then no description of where the route goes.  All I have is an address to send my entry to, which, since I believe I recently emailed Sheila about a ride in France, doesn't guarantee that the ride will be anywhere nearby. I know nothing, so I'm guaranteed not to enter that event.  Is it really too much effort for the organisers to add a list of controls to their perms?

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #43 on: 08 September, 2009, 01:06:04 am »
With perms, this is a major bugbear of mine.  When I look on the AUK site to see if there any I want to ride, I'm confronted with a number of events that have nondescriptive titles and then no description of where the route goes.  All I have is an address to send my entry to, which, since I believe I recently emailed Sheila about a ride in France, doesn't guarantee that the ride will be anywhere nearby. I know nothing, so I'm guaranteed not to enter that event.  Is it really too much effort for the organisers to add a list of controls to their perms?

It is up to the Perms Organiser to fill in detail in the AUK lists.  With mine, I try to give an idea of the route terrain.  Also, if anyone emails for a Routesheet, the full works + a map from Autoroute will show you before you book the ride.

I agree that Titles should connect to the spirit of the ride.  I tend to use geographical hints 'Cotswold +...', County, River, Gospel Pass or in literature 'Cider with Rosie' where you can enjoy the Stroud Valleys and the Woolpack Inn in the (incredibly beautiful) Slad Valley.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 08 September, 2009, 08:48:10 am »
We also discussed mapping the routes online (which I don't think will work  like this, but it's a step in the right direction):

Is there a single gmap with all of the calender and permanent rides on?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #45 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:26:04 am »

Really, because I was quite taken with the notion of a Middleton Stoney-Stoney Middleton-Middleton Stoney ride, or a ride taking in a selection of Little Londons that could be billed as Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London

Mind you, the latter would not have helped the OP.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #46 on: 08 September, 2009, 09:38:27 am »
A global map is not entirely a good idea.  Riders will take it as gospel rather than the route sheet.  Routes are subject to change.  Last year I had to make a change to (Down with) The British. We lost a control so I added one West of old route.  To make up for the added distance I made a more direct finish.  A rider who had ridden the ride several times before "knew" the route went to Llantrisant next.  When he got there he discovered the route sheet was all wrong.  He finished a lot later than he expected.

It is not obvious the "(Best of) The British" and "(Down with) The British" are descriptive. That former industrial site at the bottom of Mynydd Llanhileth is where "The British" steel works used to stand.
My other rides are easier to guess where they go.  Across Rhondda, Ride 'round Rhondda and Glamorgan Gloom (Back Across Rhondda) all suggest flat rides through the fenlands would be a good idea.

« Reply #47 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:09:54 am »

Really, because I was quite taken with the notion of a Middleton Stoney-Stoney Middleton-Middleton Stoney ride, or a ride taking in a selection of Little Londons that could be billed as Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London - Little London

What about (from memory):-

Takeley - Tye Green - Tye Green - Tye Green - Tye Green - Tye Green - Tye Green - Takeley

(All 6 of those Tye Greens are different villages in the same county.)
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #48 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:12:47 am »
That would be excellent, especially if there was a pub in each one and they were visited in a star point fashion.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #49 on: 08 September, 2009, 10:15:28 am »
There is the risk of something like:

Bell End - Upper Ramsbottom - Bell End.

Or Weedon - Shatton - Weedon.

Mind you, we have noticed the number of Suttons around the country, so I guess you could easily have a:

Sutton - Sutton - Sutton - Sutton - Sutton.
Getting there...