Author Topic: Base training  (Read 252488 times)

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
Re: Base training
« Reply #275 on: 06 October, 2016, 06:07:29 am »
Struggled home last night after two consecutive 60 mile commutes, had to stop for ice cream with 10 miles to go! Minimising carb intake during the day is helping the weight loss effort though, average kCal deficit running at 1200/day since I started 8 days ago, just need to keep it up 'til Xmas.  O:-)

You don't see a connection?

That's the point! Loosing weight, power up on the fast days and doing strava PBs up local short sharp hills. All looking good :)

Entered the Cambridge Chrono so a major target next year is the qualify for France.

LMT

« Reply #276 on: 06 October, 2016, 08:50:47 pm »
Struggled home last night after two consecutive 60 mile commutes, had to stop for ice cream with 10 miles to go! Minimising carb intake during the day is helping the weight loss effort though, average kCal deficit running at 1200/day since I started 8 days ago, just need to keep it up 'til Xmas.  O:-)

You don't see a connection?

That's the point! Loosing weight, power up on the fast days and doing strava PBs up local short sharp hills. All looking good :)

Entered the Cambridge Chrono so a major target next year is the qualify for France.

You rock brao.

simonp

« Reply #277 on: 06 October, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »
I was too tired yesterday. Did sweet spot intervals at lunchtime as I worked from home. Dropped cadence to 80rpm for simulated climbing. Now full of tuna pasta bake. Might do an endurance hour once it's gone down.

« Reply #278 on: 06 October, 2016, 10:27:14 pm »
I'm trying to stick with the Marco Pinotti 10-12w FTP builder on Zwift. I did the 1hr FTP test, and got 291w from a 306w 20m average. Mate at lbs (who just got a Drivo, but says the Neo is usefully quieter) has just been trained in doing lactate threshold testing and has offered to do it for me for the cost of consumables. He said that calculating FTP from .95 * 20m average is just an estimate and for endurance LT testing is the way to go. Does that sound right? Certainly I'm finding the FTP builder programme harder with my new score! Maybe it is overly optimistic.

simonp

« Reply #279 on: 06 October, 2016, 11:24:02 pm »
Well, I've had LT testing done. The protocol was a ramp test to vo2max in 25W increments, a minute at a time. So there is an issue of precision. I've also had FTP tests done using respiratory quotient. 20W increments. I think ramp tests are more reliable in one sense as they don't rely on pacing an effort. Many people will under test initially as they learn how to pace a time trial effort. You need to be motivated as it's not easy.

2009 LT was 225W. RQ testing last year went 220, 240, 260W. This year 260W, 280W. I compared the 280W against TrainerRoad 2x8 min test which scored 275W. So I guess really the RQ test said threshold up to 280W. The RQ test added value because it confirmed a big improvement in aerobic base fitness. I think LT testing can confirm this also as lactate should be lower in the subthrehshold zones with a good base.

The other issue to consider is just because your LT is X the length of time you can sit around that level is influenced by how good your base is, by motivation as mentioned above, and also by muscular endurance.

simonp

« Reply #280 on: 07 October, 2016, 11:23:31 am »
I'm on the trainer now doing an endurance ride and watching the tennis. Heart rate is all over he place during the rallies.

« Reply #281 on: 07 October, 2016, 06:28:03 pm »
The other thing is that being on liquid only diet, and having a mouth that's full of stitches, is that the weight is falling off me. I've upped my protein intake in an effort to retain lean muscle mass.

simonp

« Reply #282 on: 11 October, 2016, 12:14:00 am »
So less than a week of training, and I repeated the same workout tonight that I did last Tuesday.

Average HR for the identical workout is 7bpm lower (from 135bpm down to 128bpm).

They do say the loss of fitness from a break is initially more top-end, and that comes back fast. I might already need to raise the FTP setting in TR. Don't fancy doing another test so soon.

simonp

« Reply #283 on: 11 October, 2016, 10:58:29 am »
And again this morning, 3x12m sweet-spot workout. 149bpm average last week, now 141bpm.

simonp

« Reply #284 on: 13 October, 2016, 11:18:55 am »
Typical - as I get some training momentum going, I get a cold and have no energy.

Chris S

« Reply #285 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:19:12 pm »
AC Hackney Simulator(tm).

Rolling road views of Iceland and ethereal soundtrack, courtesy Sigur Rós, hills thanks to TrainerRoad Tallac sub FTP intervals.

I need to grow my beard longer and put the fixed on the turbo for the full effect  :).

simonp

« Reply #286 on: 20 October, 2016, 01:54:27 pm »
I train in the haze of petrol fumes from my motorbike. I need to use it as an excuse to shell out on something more modern.

simonp

« Reply #287 on: 14 November, 2016, 01:45:18 pm »
Think it's time to re-test, HR has dropped substantially for same efforts.

:hand:

rob

« Reply #288 on: 15 November, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »
Week 3 of working with a coach.   A couple of conclusions so far :-

- New (magnetic) turbo is a vast improvement on the old one, but I need to play about with the resistance.
- I wasn't resting anywhere near easy enough between intervals in the past.

Overall the programme has more intensity and less volume, which I can understand.

simonp

« Reply #289 on: 15 November, 2016, 02:15:34 pm »
Interesting. I think mixing in some higher intensity work in the base phase works better for the time crunched cyclist.

My last test said 240W FTP. I hope for at least 250W tonight.

rob

« Reply #290 on: 15 November, 2016, 02:20:24 pm »
Interesting. I think mixing in some higher intensity work in the base phase works better for the time crunched cyclist.

Pretty much everything is tempo or upwards, but weekend rides are 2-2.5hrs - I asked if I could ride for a bit longer when I had free time and it was OK.   Turbo sessions are all what I would call threshold efforts with some sprint-style efforts, but they're all around an hour.

I'm unlikely to race until May so plenty of time to increase workload.   I've just been sent next week's plan.

« Reply #291 on: 15 November, 2016, 08:29:23 pm »
I've just been sent next week's plan.
Did you get that slightly sick feeling and wondered why did I sign up with a coach?

I am now 3 months in and loving every minute( except in the actual training, obviously).  I am sure i am getting Stockholm syndrome.  I feel bad if i cannot do my workout in the morning before work and wait on tenterhooks for the feedback about how I have done.  Then the tough messages when i spend too much time in Zone 3 on my weekend rides!  "Behave and do as you are told!"

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #292 on: 15 November, 2016, 08:47:12 pm »
For various reasons I haven't been on the road at all this month. 4-5 one hour turbo interval sessions per week though and I am already back to my February power levels so pleased with progress. Every session takes me to the edge and I can't do more than two days in a row.

simonp

« Reply #293 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »
From 241-255 w in 6 weeks. I guessed 250+ so pleased.

rob

« Reply #294 on: 15 November, 2016, 09:33:06 pm »
Did you get that slightly sick feeling and wondered why did I sign up with a coach?

It's still early days, but I have been managing so far.   He has upped the workload pretty quickly, though.

simonp

« Reply #295 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
This week since the test on Tuesday has been a bit of a struggle. Think it took a lot out of me, and with being busy at work doing a 90m endurance/tempo session, 1h sweet spot session on Thursday I was very tired yesterday. Managed on the water rowing session but ditched 3x20 sweet spot, had a lie in today then did it. Today was supposed to 3h endurance. The rowing yesterday can count for some of that. So I might try to do a 1h endurance session while dinner is in the oven.

« Reply #296 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:47:58 pm »
Brilliant session on Thursday 20min climbing intervals with max power 30 second sprints at the end.  Friday cannot get out of bed with some virus, yesterday still very weak.  35 minutes of temp today just to keep things ticking over and then back to it tomorrow.  Was at the end of a hard week so hopefully will not have lost too much.

simonp

« Reply #297 on: 20 November, 2016, 04:55:10 pm »
Bummer, GWS. I had a whole week of training lost to lurgy last month. It's annoying as it disrupts momentum.

However my test FTP score is higher than I had 11 months ago, so it's looking promising for going into next season stronger.

« Reply #298 on: 21 November, 2016, 10:40:09 pm »
A great recovery.  Repeated a session from 3 weeks ago and NP for the session had gone up by 22W and I got a trainerroad badge for my 60 minute power.  Well pleased.

rob

« Reply #299 on: 23 November, 2016, 12:41:51 pm »

"Next week.   Up a bit again."