Author Topic: Base training  (Read 250161 times)

simonp

Re: Base training
« Reply #725 on: 30 November, 2017, 11:08:24 pm »
so my trainer had to be sent back to netherlands for inspection/repair and is now either stuck in one of parcelforce's depots or gone walkies (it's been two weeks since i've sent it). have been on the phone with pf yesterday and today and they are "still searching". hmm ::-)
as the depot cannot locate the box, they've directed me to claims dept. not too hopeful at the moment and it might take up to a month.

Really annoying and frustrating.

simonp

« Reply #726 on: 03 December, 2017, 12:18:46 am »
So I'm thinking today's workout (Tunemah) looks like it will be too easy.

Then I stumble across this one (Dana).

From the blurb:

Over-unders are hard when they only push you slightly above FTP, but these brutes will hold you to an even higher performance standard and increase your ability to ride well above FTP before settling back into an effort level only slightly below your FTP.

Work of this nature will challenge your highest-end aerobic power, your muscular endurance, your aerobic base, and your ability to truly suffer - all very valuable to the performance-conscious bike racer.

I did wonder if I was asking too much of myself. I considered attempting the -1 or -2 versions instead. However I decided to go for it, I could always finish early if it was too hard. I found it surprisingly easy* in the end. Though eating Doro Wat as my pre-workout meal (about 2h beforehand) wasn't the smartest choice!

That FTP bump needs to happen soon.

* FSVO easy. I never felt close to cracking, but it did hurt.

« Reply #727 on: 03 December, 2017, 04:08:39 pm »
I was planning on going for a ride outside today and then restarting wk 4 on Tuesday. But it's been fairly horrible outside (except for when I had stuff on around lunch). Now it's getting dark  - can I be bothered to go do some random TR ride in the garage?

« Reply #728 on: 03 December, 2017, 04:44:41 pm »
can I be bothered to go do some random TR ride in the garage?

Definitely. You know you should do it and that you will be letting us all down if you don't and that it will weigh on your conscience.  (I think that is all the pleaser driver triggers I can get into one sentence)

Anyway we have all been out for our long ride this morning before you were up!! (smug look).

My motivation was that our grand daughter was bringing her parents to give granny her birthday present!!

« Reply #729 on: 03 December, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »
I was planning on going for a ride outside today and then restarting wk 4 on Tuesday. But it's been fairly horrible outside (except for when I had stuff on around lunch). Now it's getting dark  - can I be bothered to go do some random TR ride in the garage?

Sounds like me - two trips to Leeds to take and recover t'bairn from music, 2 hours sorting the shed with Mrs S and now it's dark and the roads are covered in slippy salt. Oh, and my legs are heavy from yesterdays 10 mile run.

Maybe, or maybe wait to tomorrow

« Reply #730 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:38:08 pm »
can I be bothered to go do some random TR ride in the garage?

Definitely. You know you should do it and that you will be letting us all down if you don't and that it will weigh on your conscience.  (I think that is all the pleaser driver triggers I can get into one sentence)

Anyway we have all been out for our long ride this morning before you were up!! (smug look).

My motivation was that our grand daughter was bringing her parents to give granny her birthday present!!
Thanks. :)
Sadly I got hijacked into doing some DIY, so I'm not going to get to it now. This morning I had to wait in for a tumbledrier to be delivered, otherwise I would have just got up and got on with it then. I'll do a proper stretch and some core work instead. :)
I'm feeling better, and I should be properly rested for Tuesday though, so no excuses for not getting the VO2 stuff done properly this time.  :-X

« Reply #731 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:19:24 pm »
DuncanM  that was all said tongue in cheek.  I have many problems of a similar nature.  I try to remind myself that it is a hobby and not how I earn my daily crust!

simonp

« Reply #732 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:43:32 pm »
Last night’s X factor being put on the telly fixed my lack of fu. Now I’m knackered.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #733 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:50:36 pm »
This autumn was going to be 200+ miles per week centred around my commute but after 5 weeks of doing nothing but rebuilding body bits I managed 2.7 miles in week 1 struggling to beat 5mph. Increased slowly, up to 26 miles last week and this week hit 106 miles with today's 30 miles at 17.6mph. All in virtual Belgium on my new Elite Direto.

« Reply #734 on: 05 December, 2017, 02:15:28 pm »
I got my arse in gear and repeated Spencer (after failing last Tuesday and taking the week off).
I still suck at VO2 intervals, but I got through 4 and a half at 96% intensity before cracking:
https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7016905-spencer
Darwin on Thursday might be a bit more up my street (4x10 minutes at 95-99% FTP).

« Reply #735 on: 05 December, 2017, 03:37:46 pm »
I got my arse in gear and repeated Spencer (after failing last Tuesday and taking the week off).
I still suck at VO2 intervals, but I got through 4 and a half at 96% intensity before cracking:
Darwin on Thursday might be a bit more up my street (4x10 minutes at 95-99% FTP).

They're a bit tasty! 3 minutes at 120%. I'm still in the sweet spot stuff, but actually prefer the vo2max type efforts really,

Yesterday, having had a few dismal days I just ran instead (late home from meeting). So, 5.6 miles at 7:17 pace and, based on footpod power meter, 300 watts metabolic cost average power. My bike ftp is considerably lower;)

« Reply #736 on: 05 December, 2017, 08:25:37 pm »

They're a bit tasty! 3 minutes at 120%. I'm still in the sweet spot stuff, but actually prefer the vo2max type efforts really,
Mills is a good introduction to the VO2 stuff - 3 minutes starting at 120% but fading to 115%. Keeping the power there for the full 3 minutes is super hard though. The warmdown was really long though - I don't know why the gaps between intervals aren't bigger (or more intervals stuffed in).
Running is hard work. That sounds like good pace. And it doesn't take as long to get a good workout as a bike ride.

simonp

« Reply #737 on: 05 December, 2017, 11:13:51 pm »
Chaps, Mills is 2 minutes intervals. Spencer is probably a fair bit harder. Mills 45 is the same as Mills but with shorter recoveries.

Have a look at Givens - 3 minute intervals ranging from 110% to 130%. Ouch. I did that a couple of times this year, struggled, the next time I turned it down by 5% and set a 3-minute power PB.

Pedal Castro

« Reply #738 on: 06 December, 2017, 06:04:31 am »
Spencer is a version of a classic Billat interval session. My version has a much better warm up and a shorter cool down.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/166650-ak-billat-5x3

« Reply #739 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:00:38 am »
Chaps, Mills is 2 minutes intervals. Spencer is probably a fair bit harder. Mills 45 is the same as Mills but with shorter recoveries.

Have a look at Givens - 3 minute intervals ranging from 110% to 130%. Ouch. I did that a couple of times this year, struggled, the next time I turned it down by 5% and set a 3-minute power PB.
Good point about Mills - 2 minutes, and down to 110%.  There are 9 of them in an hour though, compared to 5 of the Spencer ones. Givens looks brutal, but at least the 130% ones are in the middle, which should make it slightly more manageable.
Spencer is a version of a classic Billat interval session. My version has a much better warm up and a shorter cool down.

https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/workouts/166650-ak-billat-5x3
That looks just as painful, but hopefully the warmup makes it more doable. Do you follow the TR plans and just switch in your workouts, or do you make your own (or have a coach)?

Pedal Castro

« Reply #740 on: 06 December, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »
I make my own plan, I don't have a coach but I am a qualified cycling coach and also teach the planning and preparation module of A Level PE course! I mainly ride my created TR workouts with some of the library ones for the less intensive stuff.

« Reply #741 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:03:28 pm »
It's funny, is m used to running so fine it easier to sustain a more intensive effort level.

Last night I did most of Goddard - 10 x 30 second vo2 max intervals,  it then the laptop ran out of juice so I just do a couple more 3 minute efforts.

Tonight I did Monitor - 6 x 6 minute sweet spot intervals with 2 minute recoveries. I also increased the ffo setting by a few watts before starting. That 'felt' more like it.

Hoping my Garmin training status will return to productive as the missed sessions last week have thrown it and me off a bit.

simonp

« Reply #742 on: 06 December, 2017, 09:17:44 pm »
Carter tonight nice and easy 10W+ FTP since two weeks ago yet lower average HR. It’s slowly coming along.

I find the sweet spot stuff like Monitor more demanding. I think that means it’s exposing a weakness - muscular endurance.

« Reply #743 on: 06 December, 2017, 10:45:30 pm »
Carter tonight nice and easy 10W+ FTP since two weeks ago yet lower average HR. It’s slowly coming along.

I find the sweet spot stuff like Monitor more demanding. I think that means it’s exposing a weakness - muscular endurance.

Yes, my weak spot too. Really a direct consequence of trying to fit training in around a middle aged life. Still, long steady rides and runs  help as do the more intense sustained efforts and threshold sessions. It's just a matter of time at the intensity.

« Reply #744 on: 07 December, 2017, 09:33:10 am »

Yes, my weak spot too. Really a direct consequence of trying to fit training in around a middle aged life. Still, long steady rides and runs  help as do the more intense sustained efforts and threshold sessions. It's just a matter of time at the intensity.
I can do Sweetspot and Threshold stuff, but VO2 max kills me.  What's that weakness?
Todays threshold workout: https://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/7037848-darwin

This looks like a great deal for a dual leg power meter (esp with the extra 10% DCR discount). http://www.clevertraining.co.uk/watteam-powerbeat-single-dual-2-pack-power-meter
I assume you guys would recommend getting proper power (I'm currently on Virtual Power)?

Pedal Castro

« Reply #745 on: 07 December, 2017, 02:27:34 pm »
For TrainerRoad virtual power is fine, at least it is on my simple elite fluid turbo

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #746 on: 07 December, 2017, 03:51:12 pm »
so my trainer had to be sent back to netherlands for inspection/repair and is now either stuck in one of parcelforce's depots or gone walkies (it's been two weeks since i've sent it). have been on the phone with pf yesterday and today and they are "still searching". hmm ::-)
as the depot cannot locate the box, they've directed me to claims dept. not too hopeful at the moment and it might take up to a month.

Really annoying and frustrating.
after a lot of communication via phone and email (no one willing to take responsibility) i've finally received an note that the replacement unit has been shipped. fingers xed.

« Reply #747 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:08:38 am »
Run day yesterday and evening engagement with a client, so snook out for 6 miles of Leeds canal towpath at lunchtime.

rob

« Reply #748 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:36:12 am »
Annoying niggle with the left knee.   Bit of a cold.   Still sticking to the plan but may have to ease off for a few days.

« Reply #749 on: 08 December, 2017, 04:21:55 pm »
Legs very stiff last night so quite good to have a couple of quiet days.