Author Topic: Base training  (Read 251553 times)

simonp

Re: Base training
« Reply #1175 on: 05 December, 2018, 11:00:27 am »
Neo has some features that the KickRs don't have, such as the ability to simulate downhills and road surface roughness for Zwift.

I felt my original Kickr over-read somewhat. The need to calibrate regularly was a pain. Neo is supposed to require no calibration. There is no way to do so.

KickR is better at fitting a variety of bikes.

On the feel side, the KickRs all have a large flywheel for inertia - Neo has little flywheel mass and simulates inertia electronically. For me, that doesn't quite work as well - but on intervals with large drops in cadence from a hard interval to a recovery, the Neo will get back on target quicker.

Chris S

« Reply #1176 on: 05 December, 2018, 12:53:10 pm »
...For me, that doesn't quite work as well - but on intervals with large drops in cadence from a hard interval to a recovery, the Neo will get back on target quicker.

This is an important point. We both bought Elite Drivos recently (half price in Black Friday deals) and this trainer also has a lot of inertial "feel" built in - to the point in fact that it doesn't "do" Erg mode how most of us have come to accept it. Turns out the forums are full of people complaining about this - they're used to that gym-bike feel where it instantly locks you to the target power. Trainers with big flywheels, and inertial "road-feel" don't work like that, and getting to and then sticking to an Erg-commanded power is not an instant thing; this is especially obvious with the Drivo, and one of us almost sent theirs back because of it (no names, no pack-drill).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1177 on: 05 December, 2018, 02:09:26 pm »
After planning out a few months of structured training I fell off the wagon 2 months ago - been just riding what I fancied since then with a few weekends on consecutive 200km/100mile rides.  Just managed to get the will power together for a ramp test and happy to see a 2% improvement though still not got the motivation to regularly get back on the hamster wheel!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1178 on: 05 December, 2018, 02:34:25 pm »
...For me, that doesn't quite work as well - but on intervals with large drops in cadence from a hard interval to a recovery, the Neo will get back on target quicker.

This is an important point. We both bought Elite Drivos recently (half price in Black Friday deals) and this trainer also has a lot of inertial "feel" built in - to the point in fact that it doesn't "do" Erg mode how most of us have come to accept it. Turns out the forums are full of people complaining about this - they're used to that gym-bike feel where it instantly locks you to the target power. Trainers with big flywheels, and inertial "road-feel" don't work like that, and getting to and then sticking to an Erg-commanded power is not an instant thing; this is especially obvious with the Drivo, and one of us almost sent theirs back because of it (no names, no pack-drill).

The Neo’s Simulation of inertia has real potential benefits in that it can better simulate climbing and flat road riding in terms of pedal force throughout the cycle. The triathlon or time trial long forum has quite a lot on this. That was what led me to pick one over the Kickr, along with more accurate (lower!) power measurement.

In use I’ve so far found it excellent, but I haven’t ridden a Kickr and have had it long enough to really review yet. It’s probably a question of simulated inertia via a physics model vs a very big flywheel. FWIW, i think the VeloReality lynx adopts a similar approach to the Neo with a different form factor and price. The Neo 1 looks like a good deal at present.

Mike

« Reply #1179 on: 06 December, 2018, 09:13:02 am »
I struggled to get up this morning, so I only rode a 45 minute version of the planned workout.  Still coming back from my cold.
I paired my pedals to the phone before I connected the HRM straps up - this seems to have been effective. :)
https://www.strava.com/activities/2002691660

I've got 1 week of work scheduled before my recovery week.  Given I've basically had 10 days off, I'm gonna switch some of the workouts about so I get most of a recovery week, but I also get to ride hard a bit longer. sustained power build to start on 1 January - that's going to be brutal!

« Reply #1180 on: 06 December, 2018, 10:57:25 pm »
Cheers guys, looks like it will be the Neo. Which is what I was leaning towards to begin with.  Now to wait for the new year sales.

« Reply #1181 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:28:42 pm »
Neo1 is discontinued so you should be able to pick one up for less than 900 based on recent pricing, then they’ll be gone. Neo2 is on preorder in UK, but Tacx will send you one for the same (full) price with no postage charge from the Netherlands

Mike

« Reply #1182 on: 06 December, 2018, 11:31:25 pm »
Neo1 is discontinued so you should be able to pick one up for less than 900 based on recent pricing, then they’ll be gone. Neo2 is on preorder in UK, but Tacx will send you one for the same (full) price with no postage charge from the Netherlands

Mike

I tell a lie - looks like the Neo2 is now available from UK suppliers, but the 1 has gone up to 899.99.

« Reply #1183 on: 08 December, 2018, 09:12:10 pm »
Back on the turbo tonight, after a food and booze heavy week at work. 3 days in London and one in Sheffield, late, meant no bike since last Sunday. Meals with clients meant I put in weight...

Hey hi, did a nice flat Tacx ride tonight - The Ljizer Front in Belgium. 50kms, a smidge under 1hr 30mins and 205 watts average. I think I’m happy with that in the circumstances.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2007026506

Mike

simonp

« Reply #1184 on: 09 December, 2018, 05:33:51 pm »
Geiger + 2 today.

Breathing was fairly controlled until the final 30s of the final interval where I finally started to get out of breath.

Probably about the limit of what I can complete right now.

Couple of Bluetooth drop-outs during the workout as well - an annoyance but turning bluetooth off and on again on the iPad fixed it.

« Reply #1185 on: 11 December, 2018, 09:41:02 am »
Sunday I didn't do my TR ride because I was hungover (from the cycling club christmas party!). It was a real struggle to get out of bed for TR today. I ended up doing a 45 minute Spencer because I got up, went back to bed, then gave myself a talking to and got up again!
Early morning VO2 workouts without fuel are hard, and I felt somewhat queasy for about 15 minutes after I had stopped.  Must get more organised with banana shopping! Also, my foot hurts afterwards still...
https://www.strava.com/activities/2011196496

The next couple of weeks are going to be randomised somewhat. I can already tell that the 1 January ramp test is going to be disappointing. :( Still, nothing planned to interrupt proper  training from then on...

« Reply #1186 on: 11 December, 2018, 12:46:00 pm »
Another ride outside today. Didn't work too hard, but just nice to get a few miles in.

Probably back indoors tomorrow, but needs to be fairly easy, and then weekend away to Tan Hill all being well.

simonp

« Reply #1187 on: 12 December, 2018, 12:01:07 am »
Sunday I didn't do my TR ride because I was hungover (from the cycling club christmas party!). It was a real struggle to get out of bed for TR today. I ended up doing a 45 minute Spencer because I got up, went back to bed, then gave myself a talking to and got up again!
Early morning VO2 workouts without fuel are hard, and I felt somewhat queasy for about 15 minutes after I had stopped.  Must get more organised with banana shopping! Also, my foot hurts afterwards still...
https://www.strava.com/activities/2011196496

The next couple of weeks are going to be randomised somewhat. I can already tell that the 1 January ramp test is going to be disappointing. :( Still, nothing planned to interrupt proper  training from then on...

Good work on getting up and doing something.

The SSB mid volume II plan has been updated with the Tuesday VO2max workouts changed - more, shorter intervals.

Tonight was the first one, https://www.trainerroad.com/career/sproven/rides/45489109-gendarme-3

I've done Gendarme before - I thought it was a bit too easy. The 30:30 protocol comes from running and I expect it's a tough one in that context but too easy for cycling. The +3 variant is not; it's 30:20 and I suspect higher intensity also. The workout text suggested towards the end of the first block of 25 repeats to skip the odd one if fading. I managed to hold on. In the second block I was starting to fade and HR was in the 180s and not dropping during the recoveries. It suggested earlier in the second block trying for doing at least 5 in a row before skipping one, but if that's too daunting at least stringing 2-3 together before a break. I managed 8 before a break, skipped one, then 6, and then the final 9. Not too bad. Definitely a tough one and I'll feel very ordinary tomorrow.

Chris S

« Reply #1188 on: 12 December, 2018, 08:08:34 pm »
Well, I'm getting into week 3 of some very easy base indoor riding, and I seem to be getting more power for my heart-rate buck, so I guess that's a good sign. More of the same until January - I do one harder ride a week - basically trying to keep up with the 2.2W/Kg PACK riders on Zwift; I managed half way round this week, before I fell off the back.

It's the indoor equivalent of Sunday club rides where you hang on to the wheels of fast boys and girls - until you can't.

rob

« Reply #1189 on: 16 December, 2018, 07:25:35 pm »
First 6 week block of training finished.   Started out 9h45 in week 1 and built to 11hrs this week.  100% turbo necessitated by my hand injury.   I feel pretty good despite a slight cold.

The cast comes off tomorrow so I can see what I’m able to do and what the physio plan is.   I’d love to be able to ride to work.   Getting the train is annoying and costs 50 quid a week.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1190 on: 16 December, 2018, 08:26:30 pm »
Today was a rest day so a gentle ride outside for only the second time this month. I have 2 outside training rides on my weekly programme but if it's wet and/or cold (which has been most days this month) I do an extended turbo session. It took me a year to get back to where I was before my big crash last October but now I am on the up and should be able to PB every distance from 10 miles to 12 hours. I'd like to target the LVRC pursuit champs too but I'll need to convince Mrs PC that that's a safe option.

simonp

« Reply #1191 on: 16 December, 2018, 09:55:58 pm »
Yesterday I did a bit of rowing (not much - it was too cold) and a 1h TrainerRoad workout later.

Today I did the full 2h planned workout, Hunter, which is 3x20m sweet-spot. It was hard, but not impossible by any means. Feels like I'm making progress.

https://www.trainerroad.com/career/sproven/rides/45804470-hunter

rob

« Reply #1192 on: 17 December, 2018, 06:47:07 pm »
First 6 week block of training finished.   Started out 9h45 in week 1 and built to 11hrs this week.  100% turbo necessitated by my hand injury.   I feel pretty good despite a slight cold.

The cast comes off tomorrow so I can see what I’m able to do and what the physio plan is.   I’d love to be able to ride to work.   Getting the train is annoying and costs 50 quid a week.

Turbo only for another 4 weeks.   At least I don’t have to wear the cast any more.

Long distance plans for late Spring are toast.

Chris S

« Reply #1193 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:02:05 pm »
We nearly managed to keep up with the 2W/Kg ride tonight, on Zwift. Fboab dropped her chain and fell out the back, and I got dropped with 2km to go.

New unlocks for me. New FTP for her.  :thumbsup:

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #1194 on: 17 December, 2018, 09:27:46 pm »
finished the tough workouts of the sweet spot base one (on trainerroad), now an easy week of recovery/spinning which i will do on the rollers. after that a week of festive500, then back to the sweet spot base two. i'm not expecting any ftp increase just yet, but i'm in a good place to start a new year of training.

« Reply #1195 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:09:15 pm »
Just did my first ever Trainerroad session this afternoon.  I thought it was quite good.  Much better than Zwift, which I used last year and didn't really like. 

Am planning to do a couple of sessions for fun / get the hang of it this week, then we are away for 10 days at Christmas, so will start in earnest in Jan.

Chris S

« Reply #1196 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:43:11 pm »
... Zwift, which I used last year and didn't really like. 

Interesting. That was my initial experience too. I've given it another go, and I'm enjoying it much more. I think making it more immersive with a bigger screen has helped a lot - I was trying with a laptop previously.

« Reply #1197 on: 17 December, 2018, 10:56:38 pm »
Reading about some of the things that you have done sounded interesting - like hanging on with a w/kg group.  I didn't know about that. I was trying to use it to do workouts set by a coach and it just didn't quite work, the hills were in the wrong places, etc - although the coach is really into it.  The ramp test was good - going up Box Hill.

My setup was fairly basic: laptop + a 19" screen, and no high end graphics, but I'm not really into gaming, etc, I think I prefer to just watch the numbers.  Actually , that reminds me, another problem is that my eyesight wasn't quite good enough to see the Zwift screen properly without glasses!

« Reply #1198 on: 18 December, 2018, 09:15:28 am »
I'm curious about Zwift, but I'm training using my phone attached to the garmin mount via elastic bands - I don't think that's going to be very immersive! :)
Got my arse out of bed this morning and did the scheduled workout OK. Felt kinda queasy though.
https://www.trainerroad.com/career/duncanm23/rides/45873993-spencer

I don't know why there's such a long cooldown ramp.  Loads of TR workouts have intervals up to the end and a 2 minute cool down - this one has 15 minutes! I cut that bit short as I had to get going.

LMT

« Reply #1199 on: 18 December, 2018, 07:10:39 pm »
No better training platform than a smart trainer and Zwift ime.