Author Topic: Southend Football  (Read 81669 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Southend Football
« Reply #250 on: 16 December, 2020, 09:44:24 am »
Sounds like a good game: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55225630

I think that report misleads somewhat:

Greg Halford scored on his debut as Southend secured back-to-back wins for the first time since October 2018 with victory against 10-man Grimsby at Roots Hall.

Grimsby only became "10-man Grimsby" in the 4th minute of injury time at the end of the second half!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #251 on: 16 December, 2020, 10:13:08 am »
A lot of the content for the reports is auto-generated by a computer.

Scorers: Any interesting facts? 100th goal for the club, first goal for X months, debut, etc...

Team get a red card -> "10-man X", two red cards -> "9-max X" etc...

Red card for each team -> "Fractious game" or "Bad-tempered match", etc.

Look at team's form/record -> "back-to-back wins for the first time since X", or "Fifty game on the bounce".

Individual record against that team -> "beating them for the first time in N games since X"

Much cheaper than sending a reporter to each game!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #252 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:06:32 pm »
bounce".

Much cheaper than sending a reporter to each game!

Sending a reporter wasn't necessarily better.

I'm just about old enough to remember Saturday evening football papers, usually printed on green or pink paper, which were the only way to get any sort of match report until the following week especially for any matches outside the first division, or worse still, non-league. The problem was often that a reporter would phone in a report at half-time, but time and space constraints meant that any news of the second half was abbreviated to names of scorers or missing completely.

Can you imagine the dismay felt by the 10-year-old Gainsborough Trinity supporter seeing this headline in the Football Post (Nottingham) in November 1966?

Reading the following column-inches about Ilkeston's dominance didn't do anything to lighten the mood until a couple of lines tacked on the end as an afterthought.

(click to show/hide)

A reporter phoning in copy  from a 1963 BBC documentary about Swindon Town - well worth watching the whole thing IMO. A bygone age.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #253 on: 20 December, 2020, 06:37:11 pm »
Another draw yesterday. Southend have now gone 4 games without defeat, and that brings them level with Stevenage on points. Southend are still bottom on a goal difference of -20 compared to Stevenage's -9. Sadly for Southend, the two teams above Stevenage both won, so escape from the bottom 2 is further away now than it was before yesterday's round of matches.

« Reply #254 on: 26 December, 2020, 04:13:00 pm »
Something very odd going on ....

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #255 on: 26 December, 2020, 06:26:11 pm »
Indeed! Southend are off the bottom, unbeaten for 5 games. Southend's next match is away to Leyton Orient, who have lost 4 out of their last 5 games. Southend are 2 points ahead of Stevenage and 3 behind Grimsby. If Southend win and Grimsby lose the next games, then Southend will overtake them on goal difference.

Astonishing times.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #256 on: 09 January, 2021, 04:25:21 pm »
Southend stand a chance of overtaking a couple of teams this afternoon. The bottom of the League 2 table relegation avoidance race is really hotting up now. Southend are bottom on 19 points but in their current match they are down to 10 men (someone called Halford was sent off in the second half after being booked earlier - I suppose as cyclists we might celebrate the dismissal of someone with that surname) after having taken a 1 - 0 lead over Barrow in the third minute. Barrow are one of three teams on 20 points, and Southend have a game in hand over two of them.

It's 4.25. Can Southend hold out until full time? I think they will have something like 20 minutes more to play. Barrow has had over 60% of the possession.

Edit: yes they can! The sending-off was early in the second half. this win allows Southend to leapfrog 3 teams, all on 20 points, and Grimsby's 3 - 0 looks means that their goal difference is even worse than Southend's.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #257 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:20:00 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Still bottom though.  But with a much improved chance of performing the great escape.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #258 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:31:08 pm »
Still bottom though.  But with a much improved chance of performing the great escape.

They shouldn't be - they were on 19 points before today's match. The tables just haven't been updated yet.

Edit: unless I have just been thoroughly confused.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #259 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:33:01 pm »

They shouldn't be - they were on 19 points before today's match. The tables just haven't been updated yet.

If Trump were a Southend supporter.  ;D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #260 on: 09 January, 2021, 05:36:01 pm »
I have to confess that I first looked at this afternoon's scores before half-time, but when Southend were 1 - 0 up - they scored in the 3rd minute. Do they bugger about with the tables based on a latest score in an unfinished match? Why would they do that?

Yours sincerely, Confused of Southend.

« Reply #261 on: 09 January, 2021, 07:22:17 pm »
The BBC does that, yes, but not the 'form' bit showing last 5 games. As you say, confusing.

« Reply #262 on: 10 January, 2021, 10:10:45 am »
The BBC does it, I think, to try to make things simpler.  Otherwise, you can end up having to work out all the permutations from about 6 or 7 games at once (especially if you're looking at mid-table where you can have 8 teams or more within 3 points of each other).
Did Southend lose many players back from loan?  I think Newport had 5 or 6 recalled to their parent clubs (including a couple who started most of the games), but have been getting more loanees in.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #263 on: 10 January, 2021, 08:05:52 pm »
I have no idea about loan players. I only ever look at the results on the day, and completely forget Southend United's existence at other times.

Which reminds me - I must file an objection to their planning application regarding their proposed new stadium.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #264 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:14:37 pm »
An "as you were" day in League Division 4 today. Southend, bottom, drew 0 - 0 away to Grimsby (1 point ahead of Southend but with a worse goal difference). Every team bar 1 from positions 14 to 24 has drawn their last game. Three points cover the bottom 5 teams. It's all to play for, Davit...

« Reply #265 on: 16 January, 2021, 07:35:10 pm »
It's super tight at the top too - 7th place is only 3 points behind top (though the top 2 have played fewer games). And teams 2,3,4,5,and 6 all drew (2 and 5 were playing each other).

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #266 on: 23 January, 2021, 12:41:19 pm »
Mansfield at home today for the Bleeders. I had failed to spot that they lost 2-1 at home to Cambridge during the week, but Cambridge are top of the table. No surprise there, other than the closeness of the result, perhaps, and that Southend were 1 - 0 up at half time.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #267 on: 23 January, 2021, 03:39:43 pm »
The BBC does that, yes, but not the 'form' bit showing last 5 games. As you say, confusing.

That misleading thing is going on again.

Grimsby have finished, losing 3 - 0 to Scunthorpe. Southend are still 0 - 0 against Mansfield. Both Grimsby's result, and Southend's latest score, have been added to the table, but the last 5 results are as they were/are up to the latest completed match. Thus, at the moment, Southend are off the bottom by virtue of Grimsby's goal difference being even worse than Southend's. But, should Mansfield win, then Southend will be back at the bottom again.

« Reply #268 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:32:49 pm »
Which will not be the BBC's fault, I think!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #269 on: 23 January, 2021, 05:37:02 pm »
There's normally a clue when they are putting in the active match 'results'

"As it stands"

It's a kind of thing that Football fans do, most particularly on the last day of the season.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #270 on: 10 February, 2021, 08:06:38 am »
Off the bottom thanks to a win away at Newport. Sounds like a relatively even game, and given where Newport are it looks like a great result for Southend. Level on points with Barrow is hopeful they can get out of the relegation zone (though Barrow's goal difference is so much better it's like half a point).

Newport have been atrocious since losing the FA Cup game in early January.  We were top of the league then - since we've drawn 3, lost 3, won 1, and had 4 red cards! The transfer window also had 10 players out and 7 in! They are 5th, but it's super tight at the top - a win would have put them 2nd and they are only 1 point ahead of 8th!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #271 on: 10 February, 2021, 12:53:44 pm »
Crikey! I hadn't actually spotted that they were playing.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #272 on: 13 February, 2021, 05:43:57 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/match/4218739

Judging by their respective positions in teh division, that was a very respectable result for Southend. But - 10 corners to 4 sounds quite good. 13 shots off target, 0 on target is not the way to win games.

And, incredibly, Southend are now 3rd from bottom.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #273 on: 24 February, 2021, 06:24:31 pm »
They are playing up the road. And they are 0-1 up!

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #274 on: 24 February, 2021, 07:35:25 pm »
Now it is 0-3!!