Author Topic: Ditching the cycle computer and forgetting the statistics!  (Read 3805 times)

ABlipInContinuity

Ditching the cycle computer and forgetting the statistics!
« on: 28 October, 2008, 11:06:08 am »
At heart, I'm a statician. I love statistics. I used to love watching my average speed on the computer grow. I used to love setting a new max speed or averaging over 20 mph on a journey home. Also, keeping the speed in double figures on a good incline. I probably spent more time looking at that darned computer then the breathtaking scenary around me.

I used to love logging the miles, working out my average weekly distance and even competing with others on bike journal.

I've been cycling without a computer totally for a couple of months now, and most of the time for the last twelve months.

And I'm finally starting to loose touch with the statistics I once knew and loved! I only really know how fast I'm going relative to the gear I have on my fixed. It is sometimes a temptation to put the computer back on and see if I'm any faster/fitter now. But sometimes it's nice not knowing. It's something less to prove.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Ditching the cycle computer and forgetting the statistics!
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2008, 11:15:56 am »
It took many years for this luddite to decide to fit a computator to my bicycle.  And I've been rubbish with them - breaking them in so many inventive and unusual ways that on a couple of occasions i decided I didn't deserve to have one ;D

But I do have them on most of my bikes.  Only the Carlton doesn't.  Even my Rudge has a wireless 'puter ready to be fitted discreetly.

Why?

Well, I like the data.  That's part of it.  And the ritual of entering the figures when I get to my desk as I'm waiting for the main database to open its creaky gates decide to let me through is a nice start to the day.

And, fundamentally, I'm lazy.  If I didn't have targets to aim for, I'd never reach a 25kph average; I'd almost never beat a 40kph max; I'd not beat a 25min cycling time.  I'd be slow(er), and not getting any fitter.

I like looking at the stats of a ride and finding how far I've ridden.  Superstoker was made up when he knew we'd done almost 18miles on saturday, or 25miles for Freewheel.  And my sore arse in Goole may have been slightly soothed by knowing that we had pressed on for an unplanned 100k ride.

Sure there's a value in just riding, and on my Carlton, I still get door to door in 30min without having the little nag on the bars, yet it feels like a much more gentlemanly pace of life.

Dunno.  I like the little things, but my life wouldn't be spoiled if I didn't have them.
Getting there...

« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2008, 11:23:28 am »
I think they're useful gadgets. I'm not too fussed about what my average speed is or anything like that, but it's useful to know how many miles you've done over a period of time. If your drive train is making a racket and you think "I only put that new chain and cassette on 8 months ago!" then look at your comp to realise that you've actually done x thousand miles in that time and it's not surprising that things are wearing out.

Also, when a Shimano BB gets all wonky after about 800 miles you can make the decision never to buy that overpriced crap again. Or if you're foolish enough to let your lbs loose on your bike only for their work to last just a few hundred miles, you know never to patronise their shop again.....

I feel naked riding without a computer!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2008, 11:31:21 am »
You can pry the data (and computer/GPS) from my cold dead hands.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Karen Sutton

« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2008, 11:44:36 am »
I've not used my  computer for  a couple of years ago.  First I got rid of the wired one as it was a pain when I was cleaning the bike.  I got a wireless one, then I was taking it off and putting it in my pocket when leaving the bike unattended, and often forgot to put it back on.  I got fed up looking at my average (very low) speed, and seeing how slow I was going up hill.  Soon I was just leaving it on the clock display.  The only time I found it useful was when leading a club ride which included fairly new riders, as it helped me keep to a reasonable speed.

So I don't use it much now.  Don't miss it.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2008, 12:11:46 pm »
I've never fitted one to any of my bikes, not even one those old mechanical odometers in the time BC.   As long as I keep to somewhere about 45 (+/- 5) minutes for the current commute then I reckon I'm going fast enough. 

I do log miles done,  but only for the same reason I do with my much hated motor car; as a way of making sure that maintenance is done in a timely way. 

It's nice not to have to worry about one more bit of kit.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2008, 12:33:03 pm »
I need mine because I claim bike mileage for work, but I quite like it anyway. I like to know how fast I'm going and I like being able to see what time it is. I'm not a stat maniac though.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2008, 12:46:33 pm »
I don't have one on the commuting fixie and I don't really miss it. I didn't bother fitting it as it had a habit of resetting itself in my pocket every time I stopped at a shop. I couldn't live without one on the good bike though and I'm kind of looking forward to getting back out on it again to see how much faster I am after a few months riding fixed.

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2008, 12:53:08 pm »
I cycle mostly with Her Outdoors (not counting commuting, that is). I'm a bit faster than her. Not much, but that's just the way it is; she is never quite going to match my normal speed. For years, when I had a computer, I would continually look at the speed we were going, think "It's not quite fast enough" and get agitated. Now I don't have one, that doesn't happen. Cycling is more pleasurable, and we stick together better. And it's fairer to H.O.

What I do like having is a GPS, the most liberating technology imaginable because it can be programmed with new lanes routes to explore while keeping us from ending up on main roads. (My eyesight is no longer good enough to read a map on the move, but the GPS compass-arrow display is fine). You can choose what data you see on my GPS; I choose not to see current or average speed.
Profit or planet?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2008, 01:02:54 pm »
In relation to that, I find another use for my computer is if I'm riding with <A N Other person> who isn't necessarily always as fast as me, I can regulate my speed closely.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2008, 08:17:52 pm »
I like my computer. Since I dropped mine on the patio it doesn't show units on the speed, which is fine (but confused the LBS recently). I do like knowing how far and how long at the end of the ride and comparing my pace on regular routes. Seeing my cadence gets me up hills sensibly, seeing my max speed after a ride makes me smile, knowing the time is occasionally helpful, and I like to know how far the bike has gone.

I'm thinking about a GPS, but I'm not sure I want to combine that with the nice simple, long battery life computer that always comes out.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2008, 08:31:56 pm »
Sheldon's idea was to fit the computer to the seat post.  That way it wouldn't interfere with the enjoyment of the ride, but time mileage etc could be refered to afterwards if wanted.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2008, 09:06:13 pm »
I'm thinking about a GPS, but I'm not sure I want to combine that with the nice simple, long battery life computer that always comes out.

I use my GPS for navigation and the computer for recording distance, time, and av/max speeds. For rides where I don't need navigation I don't bother putting the GPS on the bars.

« Reply #13 on: 29 October, 2008, 06:25:05 am »

I'm hopelessly addicted. My avatar says so.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #14 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:14:54 am »
computers are useful because:

1)they are easier to look at for the time than a watch
2)if you are on an audax you can look at the distance and then the sheet and usually work out where you are

« Reply #15 on: 29 October, 2008, 08:30:06 pm »

I'm hopelessly addicted.

Ditto. 

Sigurd Mudtracker

« Reply #16 on: 29 October, 2008, 09:21:04 pm »
I have only one bike without a computer, so I guess I must be addicted too.

However, I do feel a sense of liberation on one of my bikes that has a Sigma computer - owing to persistent ineptitude in setting it up, it insists reading in kilometres (well, it is German).  If I don't think too hard about it, seeing a speed of 25 on the speedo gives me a nice warm feeling and a sense of superhuman strength... even if the other traffic is passing me just as fast as usual.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 30 October, 2008, 08:55:02 am »
I have to say that my ride in this morning felt dreadful.  Fortunately, the figures said different, which was cheering :)
Getting there...

« Reply #18 on: 30 October, 2008, 10:15:41 am »
Computers are either a usefull training aid or a slavemaster.I dont look at mine untill I get back now,I like to keep track of my my milage though.I did become obsessed with av spd at one time,but not now.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19 on: 30 October, 2008, 10:21:51 am »
The one for the Rudge sits in a pocket of the Carradice saddlebag, so it doesn't get looked at on the road at all.
Getting there...

« Reply #20 on: 30 October, 2008, 10:36:21 am »
I set mine to display the clock and only look at speed/time/distance/etc after the ride.