Linked Events

• Cycle Show 2008: 10 October, 2008 - 12 October, 2008

Author Topic: Cycle Show 10-12th October - Earls Court  (Read 14770 times)

Re: Cycle Show 10-12th October - Earls Court
« Reply #25 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »
I went when I was in the UK in 2006 - it was fantastic. And I got to meet Eddy Merckx...........and got his autograph  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Won't be able to make it this year though  :(

I went on the friday then too and was absolutely gutted that Eddy M was there on the saturday and I'd missed him. He started me riding a bike and has always been a hero of mine since I was ickle.  I seem to remember you posting about this at the time and going green with envy :'(

fuzzy

« Reply #26 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:03:42 pm »
Are you on duty again this year Fuzzy?

Don't know yet. I will probably get roped in to stand post on one of the days.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:15:56 pm »
Are you on duty again this year Fuzzy?

Don't know yet. I will probably get groped again.

Oh well, every cloud etc.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #28 on: 20 August, 2008, 08:51:40 pm »
Mrs JT and I have gone for the last 3 years and after last year's we were a bit... meh.
I agree about last year.  I went in both 2007 & 2006 - 2006 was great as we had lunchtime ride (there are pictures somewhere) and it was a really social show and I enjoyed looking at all the stuff, but last year was just shiny bikes that I can't afford - I also think that the venue was much better at the excel centre.

We probably won't be going this year.

alchemy

« Reply #29 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:09:33 am »
I went when I was in the UK in 2006 - it was fantastic. And I got to meet Eddy Merckx...........and got his autograph  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have been to the last 4 shows I think. I got to meet Eddy in 2006. Didn't get his autograph and he wouldn't give me a bike. All that paled into insignificance though, cos I got to meet alchemy :thumbsup:

:-* :-*

Of course meeting Eddy was nothing compared to meeting Fuzzy  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Fuzzy and I had a nice chat....Eddy didn't say much at all.

alchemy

« Reply #30 on: 21 August, 2008, 12:13:54 am »

Won't be able to make it this year though  :(

I went on the friday then too and was absolutely gutted that Eddy M was there on the saturday and I'd missed him. He started me riding a bike and has always been a hero of mine since I was ickle.  I seem to remember you posting about this at the time and going green with envy :'(

The catalogue page that he signed is framed along with a picture I took of Eddy at the show, and it now hangs right behind me in my office at home. It's a very treasured memento of my trip.

But the forummers I met over there, and the generousity and friendship they showed to someone they had never met before, are even more treasured memories  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #31 on: 21 August, 2008, 08:50:51 am »
The Bishop Simeon Race Against Time people will be there - with some video footage of the ride!
It is simpler than it looks.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #32 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:44:23 am »
I got some Basil panniers, but it was an `under the counter' deal......nudge nudge....

Are they the "Gentleman's panniers" you had in Norfolk?

That would be the ones.....
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 21 August, 2008, 09:52:43 am »
For some reason I thought I remembered reading that there wasn't much to buy there last year. I might go if I thought it was a retail opportunity.

It's NOT a retail opportunity.
It's OK if you drool at stuff.

I shall not be going.
My nephew has his Bar Mitzvah
My partner's music will be played at a concert in the evening, which I will probably miss.
I didn't really enjoy it last time.

« Reply #34 on: 07 October, 2008, 08:53:01 pm »
So, is anyone actually going to this? Mr Mac surprised me this evening by suggesting we take the small boy along on Saturday morning. It will be our first time at the show. I am hoping that those retail opportunities aren't too sparse.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #35 on: 07 October, 2008, 09:20:34 pm »
I plan to be there on Friday - on a low-cost outing  ;D ;D

Train fare from Stratford-upon-Avon to London  £3.30 on Thursday
Wife staying overnight in London hotel - so my stay is F.O.C.
Trade ticket for Cycle Show  - F.O.C.
Return train fare  £3.30 on Friday

.... most expensive item* will be the tube fares   :'(

Rob

* unless of course something in titanium takes my fancy and I place an order  :hand:

border-rider

« Reply #36 on: 07 October, 2008, 09:26:50 pm »
I was going to, but the train fares are just stupid.

gordon taylor

« Reply #37 on: 07 October, 2008, 10:04:12 pm »

I've stopped going to bike-related things in London for the same reason. It's pretty much £50 for a "Super Saver" return from Stafford now - cheapo tickets are as rare as hens' teeth.  :'(

« Reply #38 on: 07 October, 2008, 10:14:18 pm »
I'm there on friday, booked train tickets ages ago and got them ( relatively) cheap. Im looking forward to it.

« Reply #39 on: 07 October, 2008, 10:16:07 pm »

I've stopped going to bike-related things in London for the same reason. It's pretty much £50 for a "Super Saver" return from Stafford now - cheapo tickets are as rare as hens' teeth.  :'(

The cheapo tickets go on sale 3 months in advance. If you look at the right hand side of: www.gner.co.uk right now (7th Oct) they're selling tickets up to and including Friday 19th December. On Saturday (or is it Sunday) they'll be an almighty bun fight as the cheap tickets go on sale for the week before Christmas.

I book my train tickets for all my Audaxing with that site. I'll put an entry in the diary 3 months before a ride to remind me to check and book.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #40 on: 08 October, 2008, 08:40:55 am »
I plan to be there on Friday - on a low-cost outing  ;D ;D

Train fare from Stratford-upon-Avon to London  £3.30 on Thursday
Wife staying overnight in London hotel - so my stay is F.O.C.
Trade ticket for Cycle Show  - F.O.C.
Return train fare  £3.30 on Friday

.... most expensive item* will be the tube fares   :'(

Rob

* unless of course something in titanium takes my fancy and I place an order  :hand:

Having seen comments about train fares .... have to agree the "new regime" on simpler fares  ???  seems to have just hiked prices.   

My £3.30 fare is a Chiltern Trains deal with a ticket sent as a barcode to your phone, book anytime up to the day before travel - price is actually £5 - my price reflects a "mature railcard"

Rob

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #41 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:18:46 am »
I shall be there on Sunday (Mr R and I are at a wedding on Saturday).

I shall be easy to find - just follow the trail of drool round stands with singlespeeds/fixies.

Mr R has said 'Yes' to a new bike, I have a large amount of back pay due this month, and a credit card with a huge limit...  ;D

I shall attempt to single-handedly restore the economy through expenditure.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #42 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:27:45 am »
I'd quite like to go again but what with the FNRttC and that... so we're giving it a miss this year.

Instead, on Sunday we'll be at the World Conker Championships.  8)
a great mind thinks alike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #43 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
Still thinking about it... :)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:30:18 am »
I shall be there on Friday afternoon and all day Sunday.  I'm going to be on The Race Against Time (Bishop Simeon Trust) stand trying to drum up some recruits for next years' ride.  Come and say hi  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #45 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:30:35 am »
Those of you that are going, if there is anyone handing out freebie lanyards, can you grab a couple for me please?

My HP ones are starting to look rather manky....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #46 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:35:49 am »
I shall be there on Friday afternoon and all day Sunday.  I'm going to be on The Race Against Time (Bishop Simeon Trust) stand trying to drum up some recruits for next years' ride.  Come and say hi  :)

Oh bother! If we're going, it's probably a Saturday gig :(
Getting there...

« Reply #47 on: 08 October, 2008, 09:46:09 am »

I shall probably be there on Sunday (with an offsprung)  to see the BST folk and to give them an opportunity for a good laugh when I express an interest in the 2009 ride.... 

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #48 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:10:02 am »
Maffie, Zanda and I will be there on Saturday.

If anyone wants a lift en route from Manchester to the Show, they are most welcome.

On trains, it worked out cheaper with more than one of us going to hire a car! That's a bit bonkers.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #49 on: 08 October, 2008, 10:14:48 am »
I've just booked my ticket for Saturday!  :thumbsup:
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.